“Quiet, Comfortable, Awesome!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Denham Springs, Louisiana
“Quiet, Comfortable, Awesome!”
Reviewed July 11, 2014

We, my husband and I, stayed at the Townsend Gateway Inn July 15-20, 2014. We originally booked a room for July 16-20 but were able to get away from home a day early. When I called to see if they had a room available, we were told that the smallest room they had was available and it had just 1 king size bed it in. We reserved it and asked if we would be able to stay in that room for the duration of our stay. We were told it was available for the week but that it might be too small. When we arrived, although the owners thought the room would be too small for us for a week, we thought it was just perfect. (The room they had originally put us in was a larger room with 2 double beds.)

Our room was very clean and quite comfortable. We had a king size bed and 2 chairs with a small table. The restroom was small but big enough for what you need it for and you could take a shower or relax in the tub. There was a small closet for clothes and a place to put your suitcase. There was a television with cable but we only turned it on once during our stay and that was to check the weather. There is free WIFI and when we arrived, we received a basket with assorted snacks and muffins that was refilled each day! There is a small refrigerator, microwave and coffee pot in the room as well as a blow dryer for your hair. You can choose to have your linens changed every day or you can choose to just let them make the bed and straighten the room for you. There are 2 rocking chairs outside each room and we sat and enjoyed our coffee and tea each morning. We had a wonderful time and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. There are restaurants close by and we actually ate at 3 different places while we were there and everywhere we ate was delicious. I have no complaints pertaining to our stay in Townsend. We were very close to Cade's Cove and actually made 3 visits there! It's beautiful country. We met friends in Townsend and they were not happy with where they stayed and inquired about our accommodations. I highly recommend Townsend Gateway Inn!

While I would certainly need more room if we were coming with a family, this was perfect for my husband and I. The Inn has larger rooms and offers some cabins which sleeps more. There is a large sitting area outside so if you are coming with a group, you might want to consider the cabins. They offered to let me see inside one but I was busy and just never got around to it.

We were in Townsend with a group of people that we ride motorcycles with. Our bikes were parked by our door. The first morning, when we walked outside, the owner had placed a towel on each of our bikes for us to use....to me, that is going above and beyond! I will stay here again!

Room Tip: There are no upstairs rooms. I really didn't notice any outside noise but we did keep the a/c r...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MGolmon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Burns, Tennessee
Reviewed July 4, 2014

Just got home from our stay at the Gateway Inn in Townsend. We stayed in one of the little cottages and it was very cozy and clean. I am a cleaning fanatic so I don't give out that compliment freely. The only thing I would have changed is maybe a small tv and a fan in the bedroom but that's just my opinion. We usually visit Townsend several times a year so the Gateway Inn will now be our favorite place to stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Linda N
Alabama
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I needed a place to stay overnight to pick my daughter up from Tremont early the next morning and chose it because of the reviews I read here. They were so right. I wished I had asked for the name of the lady who checked me in because she was so pleasant and helpful...gave me recommendations for dinner and brought me a fabulous snack basket. My room was much bigger than I thought and the AC had been left on for me so it was nice and cool. Everything was very clean and comfortable. In the morning, I sat out on the porch in a rocking chair and drank coffee and thought I might could stay there all day becasue it was so relaxing. Hopefully we'll be back when we can stay longer.

Green Features: Appreciated that there was a recycle bin in my room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank KMR2009
Bremen, Indiana
Reviewed June 26, 2014

We love this place. It is our 3rd time to stay at Townsend Gateway Inn. It is so clean, quiet, and relaxing. This is the only place we stay when we go to the Smokey Mountains. It is close to good places to eat. We enjoy walking the path along the road and just relaxing on the by the fire pit at the hotel.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice. We love the view from the hotel porch. We also love the ability to enter...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Valena C
Temple
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Our first time to the Smokies...we could not be happier with our lodging choice! Great little cabin, and the kitchenette & fridge adds so much...we even made slice and bake cookies tonight! The owners stock a snack basket for us each day, and they include items specially chosen to appeal to both us grownups and our 9-yr-old grandson.

Queen bed is very comfy, and the whole place is spotless. I actually had to lower the A/C, and I'm hardly ever "too cool!" Grandson sleeps on the futon...typical hard mattress there, but kids don't care and all the bedding was ready for us to make up his special area. Pots, pans, utensils, and dishes enough for four.

When not sightseeing, you can play horseshoes, enjoy the large TV, or take walks to nearby snack eateries or attractions. Tonight, we walked over to a chainsaw artist shop and took pictures of his totem poles!

Great place, quiet town with just enough to do but no crowds, and as close as you can get to the park itself without tent camping!!!

Room Tip: If you want to sleep more than two adults, opt for the "lodge"...but the cabin is great if...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank cherylynn3
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed June 13, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay. Where else can you personally interact with the owners.They were most accommodating.We had pre-arranged a firefly viewing at Elkmont and we're not disappointed.I highly recommend this motel and you will not be sorry.

Room Tip: The first four or five rooms have been recently updated.
Green Features: Excellent green routine.Recycling bin in each room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Robert_M60805
Orlando
Reviewed June 13, 2014

We stayed at this lovely motel May 29-30. We arrived late in the evening 9 p.m. or so and found many of the guests sitting in the rocking chairs in front of their rooms. We had traveled all day more than 10 hours, and were pretty tired, but we joined everyone else. Rocking chairs cool breezes and a glass of wine. What a nice way to finish off a tiring long and stressful day. The room was spacious and very clean. We had no complaints. We slept hard and awoke early and rested the next day. If you are visiting Cades Cove, this is the perfect place to stay. The prices were to our liking and provided high value in our opinion. We will definitely go back. They called us the other day to let us know that they had found 6 pairs of socks in the bureau. They were not ours (we noticed that previous guests had left them). I was impressed that the staff would try to chase down the owners of a few pairs of socks. It exemplified the great customer service that we saw as their guests. Well done Townsend Gateway Inn.

Room Tip: They have cabins. Next time we will try those.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jerwarren
Also consider these accommodations in or near Townsend
Best Western Cades Cove Inn
#2 of 90 in Pigeon Forge
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,138 reviews
Quality Inn & Suites Gatlinburg
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites on the River

Been to Townsend Gateway Inn? Share your experiences!