“Beware, one trick you might need to try”

Townsend Gateway Inn
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Townsend
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Nashville, Tennessee
“Beware, one trick you might need to try”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

OK, didn't mean to scare you with that title. BUT.....

My wife and I love Gateway Inn. But in their drive to be ECO friendly, they about drove me nutty. We stayed several days and enjoyed everything except the cleaning crew.

On night one, we walked into a sauna. Out side temperature was 80 and the room was about 85 degrees. This is understandable because no one wants to waste the AC on a vacant room. But it did not cool off until the wee hours of the morning and neither of us slept well.

The next morning, we showered and headed out for our first hike, a 1/2 day route.

Before leaving the room, my wife told me to NOT pick up the towel on the floor behind the toilet where she accidentally dropped it as she wanted it replaced. We also left the AC on a reasonable setting of 78 so the room would not be sweltering when we returned.

Returning 5 hours later, covered in sweat and four layers of trail grime, we found the room picked up. But the same towel was back on the rack and the AC was turned off. We went back down to an ice cream shop to cool off and headed for out next adventure because the room was too hot. Housekeeping kept turning off the AC with record heat in Townsend.

Didn't appreciate the note from housekeeping on the last day that I should leave them a little tip on check out. I should have left them a note to do their job and not tamper with the AC settings.

So here is the trick: Have a talk with the guys that run and own Gateway Inn (they are wonderful) and take the AC's remote control when you leave your room.

My wife and I WILL STAY AGAIN. It really is a good place. I just don't want you having the little glitches tempering your enjoyment of the place.

Gateway Inn is probably our new favorite place to stay and we loved the goody basket in the room; nice touch.

This is not your local cheap chain motel. These guys put a lot of thought and hard work into each room. As another review stated, "It is more like a Bed and Breakfast than a motel".

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Lee M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We stayed for 5 nights at the end of June 2012. Older motel, but it has been restored and is soooo nice. Each room has quilts on the beds. It feels more like a B & B rather than a motel. In-room refrigerator, microwave and coffee. They gave us a small basket of goodies (breakfast pastries, pretzels, crackers, etc.) and our choice of coffee or tea. It was more like staying with a friend. Great view with a front porch with rockers. Right across from the river and a waterfall, which we could hear from our porch in front of our room. Very good price, and they even gave us a discount because we were staying so long. We highly recommend anyone stay here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Christine J
Mount Airy, GA
Reviewed June 28, 2012

My wife and I stayed June 24, 2012 and were 100% satisfied. Not only did the rooms look great, there was a family atmosphere that made us feel at home. TV reception was great, refrigerator and air conditioner worked perfect. We did not hear the usual loud noises we hear when staying at the big national chain motels. There is a walking/bike trail (paved) that runs the length of Townsend just in front of the inn. I would recommend Townsend Gateway Inn to anyone. We will definitely stay there the next time we are in that part of Tennessee.

Room Tip: All rooms face the highway and the view is great.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Frank R
Adairsville, Georgia
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We stayed here for one night during our vacation to the Smokies. This is an older motel, but the owners have taken great care to update the rooms. I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank HereIam419
Solon, Ohio
Reviewed June 23, 2012

My husband and I came to this Inn because we read all the good reviews on trip advisor. The room was beautiful. I love that they have a pair of rocking chairs on the porches in front of the rooms that look out to the beautiful view. I feel like we got so much more than what we paid for. We would highly recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank vmfactor
Centralia, Illinois
Reviewed May 31, 2012

2-Days & 2-Nights of Our 2-Week May Road Trip, In The Less Crowed Off-Season,
Included Lodging At The "Townsend Gateway Inn" In Quiet Townsend TN.

We Decided On Townsend Because I Had Stayed There A FewTimes Before
& As A Senior & Nature/History Lover I Appreciated The Quiet Small Town Feel
& It's Easy & Close Access To The Great Smoky Mountains National Park
(& Cades Cove - The Lovely Pastoral Homestead Area of Days Gone By,
Often Clogged By Bumper-To-Bumper Tourist Vehicles In The Summer & Fall Months).

We Chose "Townsend Gateway Inn" From Trip Advisor
(Since My Other Motel Choice Said They'd Double-Charge Us
For Our "Mother's Day Sunday" Stay.).

Our First Impressions Were Ominous - On Arrival No One Was In The Registration Office
& It Took 2-Phone Calls (10-Minutes) On Their Office Phone
Until Someone Arrived to Check Us In.

We Liked Our Clean First Floor Room, With Car Parking In Front, Very Much
With It's New Dark Wood Floor & Rocking Chairs On Our Front Porch
Within Sight & Sound of The Waterfall on The Little River
Directly Across The State Highway.

There Was No Complimentary Snack Basket in Our Room
(As Stated In Trip Advisor Write-Ups)
But The Oversight Was Corrected When We Noted It
To One of The 2-Brothers & Their Sister Who Own & Manage
The Pleasant Motel-Like Lodging.

A Few Other Missing &/or Broken Room Items (Like Light Bulb, Refrigerator Freezer Door, & Location of The A/C Switch) Were Taken Care of Immediately Following The Report of Our Concerns.

It Was Early In The Season & The Brothers Were In The Process of Renovating
One of The Other Rooms, So These Oversights Can Be Excused.

Being "Country Boys At Heart", We Were Particularly Impressed By Mike, Whose Genuine Friendliness Was Much Appreciated & Enjoyed (He Even Gave Us A Second Basket of Snacks The Next Day & A Bottle of Fresh, Cold, Spring Water He'd Filled Himself That Morning From A Public Spring Tap In TGSMNP : )

The Town of Townsend Is Growing,
The "Apple General Store" Gift Shopping Complex North of Town
Was Great For Browsing & Buying : ) -
Although The Restaurant Upgrades Usually Found In Towns Adjacent To National Parks Are Very Limited or Non-Existent Here.

While In Townsend, I Had A GREAT Ribeye Sandwich At The Crowded "Back Porch Restaurant", The Best Cheeseburger I've Ever Had At The "Chick (Something??)"
& The Worst Breakfast, Service & Attitude of Anyplace I've Ever Eaten At,
At "A,J's Harvest Restaurant" With It's Deceptive Online Menu.

Thanks To "Gateway Inn" Mike For The Good Recommendations : )!
The Staffs At Townsend's Establishments Can Learn About The Importance
of Good Guest Relations From Mike,
And The Owner of "The Front Porch" Who Kept Us In The Communications Loop
Thruout Our Long Wait.

We Loved The 20-Mile Forested River Road In TGSMNP Along The Cascading River,
& The Aerial Tramway In Crowded, Commercial, Touristy Gatlinburg -
But I Wouldn't Like To Live There.

We Took The Curving 25-Mile Dirt & Gravel Forested Mountain Ridge Back Road From Cades Cove Back To Townsend (Although The Entrance Sign Said It Was Just Going To Be 12-Miles)
& A Side Trip To See Pidgeon Forge TN. We Didn't See Dolly, But We Enjoyed A Very Crowded But Good Mother's Day Lunch At "The Potter's Barn Restaurant" There.

Following Our Stay We Headed Southward Across TGSMNP, & Northeast Along The Entire Magnificent Connecting 469-Mile Blue Ridge Parkway, & Connecting 105-Mile Skyline Drive of Shenandoah NP (For A Grand Total of Well-Over 600-Miles on National Park Service Properties,Where Lots of Colorful Rhododendron, Flame Azaleas, Mountain Laurel, & Blackberries Were In Full Bloom).

Room Tip: Every Room Faces The Little River, Across The 2-Lane State Highway (Which Was So Quiet At Night Yo...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Adventur
Charleston, Illinois
Reviewed May 25, 2012

my friend and I stayed at the Gateway for 3 nights in May. Other reviews were spot on, very clean motel, with great staff. Location made the Smokey Mountain Park easily accessible. Not a bad drive to Knoxville either. Townsend is a nice little town, quiet and right on the river. I certainly would stay at the Gateway on my next visit to the Smokies.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank its1471
Also consider these accommodations in or near Townsend
Best Western Cades Cove Inn
#2 of 91 in Pigeon Forge
Courtyard Gatlinburg
Courtyard Gatlinburg
#2 of 78 in Gatlinburg

Been to Townsend Gateway Inn? Share your experiences!