“Wonderful cabins we will return ( The hotel rooms were all new too)” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Townsend Gateway Inn

Townsend Gateway Inn
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Townsend
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Sedalia, Colorado
“Wonderful cabins we will return ( The hotel rooms were all new too)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

What an amazing place . We Stayed in Cabin # 2 wow. They have totally rebuilt the inside of the cabin, really sweet . Flat screen TV , everything is new .We road to townsend and parked our stuff at the cabin then road the Smokies , they also have discounts set up with some local restaurants great action the hosts went out of their wayto make sure we were taken care of .(Mike gave me a tour of the hotel rooms and they are just as sweet all new also) . Thanks Colleen and Mike we will return soon hopefully.

Room Tip: Call ahead they were busy
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bustersdaddy001

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

On August 17, my husband and I, and another couple left Colorado for a very long motorcycle trip in celebration of my husband's 50th birthday. This was a surprise trip for him with our destination being Townsend, TN. Townsend is a perfect location because it is close to the infamous Tail of the Dragon 11 mile ride with 300+ curves, an entrance to the Great Smokey Mountains, and the Blue Ridge Parkway. What we loved about Townsend was it seemed to be the quiet side of the park, which was just what 4 tired motorcyclist needed.

The Townsend Inn...what a wonderful place we picked to stay while there for our 4 days. When we arrived we were met by one of the owners in her golf cart. She quickly got us into our cabins, where we couldn't wait to wipe the road-dirt off our faces, and then off to eat. The cabins were clean, full of Tennessee charm and we loved the baskets we got every morning. We had treats to take with us on our motorcycle rides each day, which allowed us to get up, and go. Everything was newly remodeled and I loved the clean bathrooms, the soap dispensers, and the make-up removal pads. Also, I am Gluten Free so when I requested to have more Gluten Free snacks they accommodated me without hesitation. Also, I called before our visit and they told me about a store in Alcoa that carried many GF products.

If things weren't perfect enough I had arranged to have my husband's birthday party there. This was wonderful decision. Mike cooked us BBQ ribs, potato salad and coleslaw, and of course tea. Colleen had everything decorated and we had a wonderful birthday celebration. We ate a lot of BBQ while on our trip and I have to say Mike's ribs were amazing! Of course I needed a GF cake mix for the birthday cake, which I found at the health food store and Colleen even offered to make the cake for us so we could go tour that day without having to worry about it. That is one of the things I liked the most about the Inn was the proprietors just felt like one of the family.

We stayed at many places along our 3,625 mile motorcycle ride and this by far was my favorite and so perfect for that down-home ambiance that we expected Tennessee to offer.

Thanks Colleen and Mike for such a wonderful 4 days in "Ya'll" country.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mariea R
Pekin, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

I stayed at the Gateway Inn during my solo motorcycle trip from August 11th through the 16th and had an excellent time. All of the staff was extremely friendly and I had zero issues with my room. Everything was very clean and up to date, I couldn't have asked for more. One of my favorite features was the soap/shampoo/conditioner dispenser in the shower, as well as the soap/lotion dispenser at the sink; so much better than those tiny little bottles!

If you're looking for somewhere quiet to stay away from all of the touristy hustle and bustle of Gatlinburg, this is the place for you. You can still enjoy everything the Smokies have to offer and you don't have to deal with bumper-to-bumper traffic or noisy neighbors all night.

And for your motorcyclists: Foothills Parkway is just a 10-minute ride away, and the Dragon is just another 5 minutes beyond the end of the parkway. If you're looking for some great scenery and fun roads, you won't be disappointed!

p.s. Don't forget to say hi to the resident cat and dog. They are the most lovable animals you will ever meet!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Ryan C
Kingsport, TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

There is only one chain hotel in Townsend and about a dozen little places. We've stayed in several over the years and most are nice, but this weekend we found a new favorite.

This is a small inn with only 17 units. It's probably been there a number of years but it has been upgraded to a very nice level. Our room was large with hardwood floors, a microwave, fridge, the usual large TV. Instead of locating the AC at the window as many to, they installed in at the back of the room over the bathroom sink. It's probably the best place for it. Made sitting on the porch much nicer!

This is a family run business and the familiy is some of the nicest people we've met. Even the cat and dog came to greet us when we arrived. We went out to dinner our first nitght and when we returned they had delivered a nice basket of goodies (muffins, chips, mints, etc.) A nice touch!

We stay in townsend a couple times a year when we go to the park. We'll stay here every chance we get.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Richard_and_June
Saginaw, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

I stayed in one of the cottages with 2 teenagers and 8 yr old for 3 nights. The cottage was great. I had made reservations a month or so in advance of our visit. Check-in was quick and our cottage was ready for us. Upon check-in the owners brought a welcome basket to our cottage with healthy snacks for us. Interior decorated nicely with futon, easy chair, dining table, 4 chairs, stove, oven and full-size frig. Bedroom had comfortable queen bed. There was a picnic table and grill available for our use just outside the cabin. The view of the Smokey Mountains is fantastic. Rate was great and we will definitely be back!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Uniontown, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

My family and I spent two nights here recently on vacation after reading the reviews here. Even though the exterior looks older, the rooms inside are super clean and updated and furnished nicely. My son even liked this better than the brand new Holiday Inn we stayed at earlier on in our trip.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank steph51065
ellijay, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2011

My wife and I stopped here for one night while motorcycle touring through the Smokies. We actually like to seek out these small, family owned, funky little hotels and motels. It can be unpredictable, but hey, that part of the adventure! This place turned out to be a great find. Nice folks, good service. Very clean, remodeled rooms with hardwood floors and tile bathrooms. They brought a nice welcome basket with coffee and snacks. We sat outside on the rocking chairs and enjoyed the mountain air. Very nice place to stay. Only drawback is that while we were there the pool was fenced off, apparently getting “remodeled” too. It was a very hot day when we arrived, and it would have been nice to take dip in the pool after riding the bike all day. But I’m quibbling. We were quite pleased with our stay there.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank btm40
Also consider these accommodations in or near Townsend
BEST WESTERN Cades Cove Inn
Baymont Inn & Suites Gatlinburg On The River
Historic Tapoco Lodge Resort
Historic Tapoco Lodge Resort
#2 of 6 in Robbinsville

Been to Townsend Gateway Inn? Share your experiences!