“Food good, restaurant could use some staff improvement”
Review of Little River BBQ

Little River BBQ
Ranked #13 of 40 Restaurants in Townsend
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed July 30, 2010

We really like the food at Little River. We ate there twice on this trip. Pork sandwhiches are flavorfull and tender. Baked beans have good flavor too. Tried the St. Louis ribs the 2nd time we were there and they were delicious and falling of the bone. Nice view of the river from the back porch. 1st time we had a great waitress and even tho they were busy we had good service. The 2nd time they were slow and the waitress we had still couldn't seem to get us what we asked for. Had to send her back twice to get my sweet tea. No personality either. They are next to one of the tubing companies and can get crowded at times but we have never had to wait for a table.

Reviewed July 18, 2010

This restaurant is on the Little River and offers lunches in conjunction with the tubing outfitter next door, River Rage. The service was slow, the food was not particularly good and the cole slaw left me sick. The pulled pork sandwiches were not bad, but in spite of the fact that they obviously serve large numbers of people, they were unprepared for volume and were out of most of the sauces to be put on the pork. It is a popular place, probably because of the tubing/lunch offer, the location being right next door to the tubing place and the fact that you can eat in your swimsuits after tubing.

1  Thank Miamibeachbum
Reviewed July 12, 2010

My husband and I went to Little River BBQ for some dessert after we went tubing in Townsend. Since we had tubed with River Rat, we drove over to Little River BBQ to get the cobblers. We pulled into the parking lot and were asked by the parking attendant IF we were there to tube (River Rage is associated with Little River BBQ) or just to eat. We told them to eat, so we were allowed to park in front of the restaurant. We had planned on getting the cobbler to go. So, I went inside and stood at the hostess stand waiting for someone to acknowlede me. Meanwhile a party of like 12 comes in behind me. NOW they get the hostess attention--because she comes over and asked them IF she can seat them. Meanwhile she ignores me. The party was kind enough to point out that I was there first. So, I asked the lady where I placed take out orders. She tells me I have go to go to the counter across from the stand.

Now, I get in line there behind this one lady who can't decide what she wants to order. Halfway through her order, she tells the clerk she is going outside to find out what kind of BBQ sauce her son wants. Now, we are both standing there waiting for the lady to return & the clerk doesn't even attempt to start my order while we wait. About 5 minutes later, the lady returns and finishes her order. Ok, now I get to order. I asked the clerk whether they had ALL of their cobbler flavors in stock today (peach, cherry, blackberry, pecan & strawberry). She did not know & said she would go find out. She leaves the counter and goes into the kitchen area. Meanwhile another cashier comes to the counter and asks me IF I need help. I told her no, the other lady was helping me. Minutes later, the clerk returns to tell me that yes they were all in stock. I decided to order one peach and one blackberry to-go. I'm told it is going to be a few minutes. So, I take a seat on the bench next to the hostess stand. About 5 minutes later, my cobblers are brought out to me in styrofoam containers and a paper sack. The girl hands them to me without ever charging me for them. Being the honest person that I am, I walk up to the cashier and proceed to pay for my cobbler. As I am paying for the cobbler, another employee walks by. She obviously noticed my River Rat bracelet & stops to tell me that I should tube with River Rage in the future. She also tells me how much money I could have saved & that they have flush toilets at River Rage. Ok, maybe she was being thoughtful, but I felt like I was a child being scolded for tubing with another company. Meanwhile, I pay for the cobblers and leave.

We opened the cobblers ip & they looked good. The blackberry had good flavor but was hard to eat because of all the seeds. The peach was just plain gross. Neither one of us were happy with the peach selection. We ended up throwing them both away. What a complete waste of my time & money.

Overall, my visit with Little River BBQ was not a pleasant one. The staff was less than friendly. They seemed confused and it was just plain unorganized chaos. The sad thing was that they were not even busy when I stopped in! The place was almost empty when I arrived. The decor was plain and had a BAR feel to it (lots of light up beer signs). The cobblers were not that great--in fact--the one was completely inedible. I didn't have the BBQ, so I can't comment on it...but I didn't smell any BBQ cooking when I was there. My theory: IF it don't smell like there is something good cooking, then there probably isn't.

Reviewed June 15, 2010

We ate our first meal in our week in Townsend here on Sunday and our last meal in the Townsend the following Saturday. ASlthough the first meal was much better than the second, both experiences were good. The barbecue pork and barbecue beef were great as were the french fries, corn on the cob, salad, fried okra and fried pickles. The lemonade (according to my wife) was fabulous. I loved the iced tea the first time we went there and thought it was some of the best tea I ever had. However, the iced tea I was served on the second visit was not good at all. The ribs were only so so. Both the spicy and the mild barbecue sauces were very good. However, the hot barbecue sauce was so thick that it didn't taste like a barbecue sauce at all and wasn't very good. Our server on our first visit was far more attentive than on our second visit but both servers were good. We enjoyed eating on the screened in porch with a view of the river (despite the humidity on our last night there), although inside seating is almost as plentiful. I would definitely return.

Reviewed April 8, 2010

The owner of Gateway recommended this to us. What a surprise to find the best baby back ribs ever.They are slow cooked and tender with homemade sauce. Got the meal for two for 20.00,could not eat all of the ribs and fixings.Good value for the money.Service was great,was like going home for a meal,treated like family. If want a great meal and family atmosphere here is the place to go.Can not wait to go back. ps ...try the dill pickles.