“Tubing in Townsend”
Review of River Rage

River Rage
Ranked #17 of 21 things to do in Townsend
Reviewed June 18, 2018 via mobile

Beautiful scenery and a slow ride down the river with some small rapids to make it interesting. Spots along the way to stop and relax make this 1 1/2 mile journey a perfect way to spend the day. At $10 per person you can ride all day long.

1  Thank Pbecho
"bucks"
in 4 reviews
"creek"

Reviewed October 11, 2017

Too many rafters and the and they leave trash. They also use river for bathroom. Need guides and discipline.

1  Thank 7459chef
Reviewed August 28, 2017 via mobile

We took our 4 teenagers and we had a blast. Definitely do the upper river which has some rapids. The river was low when we were there so it was slow at times, but very fun. All the tubing companies are the same. We chose this one for the lowest price. It was a little more down river so the tubing was a little longer too!

1  Thank kerrie h
Reviewed August 15, 2017

DO NOT BRING KIDS. I can't emphasize this enough. On the very first rapid I witnessed a young girl about 13 y.o flip out backwards, hit her head on the rocks and struggle through the current. Next rapid I saw two kids each about 6-7 y.o. completely terrified stuck on a rock struggling with the current after they got flipped over, bumped on the rocks and lost their tube. One of those kid's mom was swept away by the current, passed her struggling kid not able to stop there and help her child, can you imagine how she felt? Next rapid completely terrified young girl crying in panic as her mom tries to hold her tube next to hers. Basically the current is EXTREMELY STRONG. I am an athletic, very fit 34 y.o., my friend is a very fit muscular guy, 35, we are both in great shape. He could not stand in that current, despite his strength. He also flipped twice on the rocks. I got flipped over TWICE, BUMPED MY HEAD ON THE ROCKS, was swept by the current and carried away hitting my body on the rocks for a good 250 ft before I reached a bit calmer part of the river and had enough breath to scream for help. The point is - is doesn't matter how strong or fit you are, some parts of the current are extremely strong and if your tube goes through those, you WILL FLIP OVER. Sometimes the tube passes those hard sections in another place, I saw people pass nearby without flipping - but that is PURE CHANCE. YOU HAVE NO CONTROL OVER THE TUBE. If it brings you toward a certain part of the rapid you CAN't STOP IT, CAN'T PADDLE AWAY from it.
If you decide to go please be aware - the water is low and ROCKS are really SHARP. There are also SHARP METAL OBJECTS sticking out of the water, and sharp pointy pieces of wood. You can injure yourself just by peacefully gliding on the river.
Hold the tubes of your party TOGETHER, hold on to each other's tubes. At least if you fall there will be someone right next to you.
WEAR PROTECTIVE WATER SHOES and LIFE JACKET. Again, the current is strong. Even if you are an adult, if you flip it will be easier to stand up, because the rapid will keep pushing you down under the water with a very strong current. Yes, this is how dangerous it is, the water is waist high and the rapid is strong enough to keep you UNDER WATER so that you CAN'T STAND UP. I almost drowned being a good swimmer, only thanks to a life jacket I was brought on the surface. The water shoes will protect your feet even if you are just gliding on the river because there are lots of sharp edges of the rocks. If you fall, your feet will be in blood without protective shoes as the current will drag you on all those sharp edged rocks.
Please be aware that YOU HAVE NO CONTROL over the tube once it gets on a certain current and floats toward a rapid. You have no control over your body if you flip over and current is dragging you on the rocks. It seems mild and you think you can stand up but you CANT. If you are very adventurous and consider this fun, great. If you are a parent DO NOT BRING KIDS, I saw enough kids crying and flipping over, being terrified and shaken - this is not a fun activity for kids.
For the owners of this attraction - there SHOULD BE A SAFETY BRIEF. A short talk and piece of paper that gives customers at least some "lean/don't lean" or "what to do if" pointers on how to operate the tube - those are not common sense things, there should be a safety training. This is literally a life threatening activity.
Owner should have a clear statement visibly posted that this activity is NOT SAFE FOR KIDS, that there are sharp rocks and strong currents, honestly informing parents about the rapids so that parents can make an informed decision.
AGAIN, THIS IS NOT A PLEASANT LAZY STROLL RIVER. From what I saw no kids below 15-16 should be allowed on that river. EXTREMELY DANGEROUS.
Also, we were not instructed on where to exit the river, there is no clear signage of "exit here" or any instructions on where the "ride" ends.

8  Thank berny297
See more reviews
Reviewed August 8, 2017

Easy to pay, sign up, restrooms were nasty, changing room lights were burned out. I should have run. They state anyone 3 and above will be fine. I am not a strong swimmer and when I asked about a life jacket, they were fairly non-commital. I took one anyway. We crammed on to an old van and got dropped off at the highway. There were three or four ways to the river and my healthy running family had no issues getting to the water but we did watch people scoot on their bottoms and really struggle. The water was low and at some point, these tube companies need to just close for safety reasons until the water rises or at a minimum, issue a strong advisory.
We gently floated for the first half mile or so. It was scenic and we quickly adapted to the cool water.
Then the rapids happened. I was spun backward, tossed in the air without my tube and landed head down smacking my head against a rock and inhaling a lungful of water. Now before all of you start talking about what great shape you are in and how you can't hold a company responsible for Mother Nature, let's review. The week before I biked 450 miles with about 14K of climb and routinely run half marathons so I am not some frail old lady.
The company telling people this is safe enough for a toddler is false and dangerous. Telling non-swimmers that they don't need a life jacket is irresponsible. Dropping people off without any instruction is just nuts.
After the second set of rapids, I got off upon seeing another woman being attended to by an ambulance. My vacation was ruined by a concussion on the first full day. The KOA people are so tired of being the dumping ground, that they threatened me with criminal trespassing for walking thru their camp to the road.
When I returned to Rivers Rage, the 17yr old handing out intertubes offered some of his ibuprofen. Um, if I have a cranial hemorrhage, an anticoagulant isn't the wisest choice guys.
I was able to watch 20 minutes worth of riders come back with popped tubes, blood covered limbs, headaches, crying children, etc. There is no way this is a big surprise to this company based on what I've now read and what I witnessed that day, the company clearly is indifferent.
We had prepaid for the BBQ and sat in the filthiest restaurant with an overworked server who snapped on everyone who asked for a beverage. We were within seconds of walking out after not being acknowledged. However, we stayed and the food was actually decent. It was just a gross environment and trust me, my standards after seven kids aren't that high.
I am happy for all of you that had a great time here. I'm sad for all that were hurt. I'm angry that I didn't read these reviews before I jumped on a tube.

4  Thank JVP1963

Been to River Rage? Share your experiences!