“Good time!”
Review of River Rage

River Rage
Ranked #13 of 34 things to do in Townsend
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I'm not exactly sure what a lot of people are talking about when they say they sense hostility. We did not have any of those problems with River Rage. We had a coupon for a dollar off, so we were able to tube for $8. In our party there were 3 adults and my 7 year old daughter. We had good tubes, and did not have any problems with the staff. Yes, the girls at the frot desk could be friendlier, however they were not mean or hostile. The gentleman who gave us tubes was especially nice as was our driver on the way down. We choose the lower section of the river since I'm 7 month pregnant. They say it takes about 1 1/2 hour, but I beleive we were down there closer to 2 1/2 hours. My only complaint was the drop off point. It was not exactly condusive to a good take off as it is very rocky and the water was low, but once we got going, it was okay. The river was low, so we did get stuck on a good bit of rocks, however, the majority of our time was not spent walking, we were on the tube. Also, there were some rougher rapids that took you into some trees, so be careful of those. Once we got done with the river, there was a van waiting for us. We only went down once, but knowing that we had the option to go again was awesome. All in all, a good time had by all!

1  Thank garryandbrandy

Reviewed August 18, 2012

We had 14 people in our group. The kids were 4, 13, and 16. The adults ranged in age from 21 to 55. We couldn't decide if we wanted to do the tougher rapids or the lower calmer part. The girl who registered us took a long time to explain the difference. They even had a TV that showed you people going down both parts of the river. We eventually decided to go on the tougher faster flowing rapids. We had a blast. The rapids did get a little fast in some areas and you did get occasionally stuck but we all agreed that it was fun. We laughed and laughed at each other. It was a great family bonding experience that we all enjoyed. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to have a great day of family fun. It is only 9$ and you get to go further than any of the other tubing places and it costs less. We loved it and will do it again.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

Aug, 4th 20102, We rented tubes a group of families all together. A couple of the children that were with us passed our exit off the river. So they got out down river some and waited for the rest of the group. I was standing with the kids, when a red Ford pick up truck narrowly missed my child. The man jumped out and started yelling that we were trespassing on private prop, and he was calling the police. We were stunned and said we were waiting for the rest of our group. He continued his rant and wouldn't listen, just kept pointing to the river that we had to get back in & go up river, never mind waiting for the rest of the kids to catch up. I was trying to put the life jacket back on my child, as he yelled at me and pointed to the river. We were waiting for a large group of HIS tubers to exit so we could get back in. The kids were scared and didn't understand why we made them get back in their tubes. Walking up river was a chore as we pushed the tubes for the kids. One of the adults in our group exited the river at the closest exit, Cowboy and asked if we could exit and walk to the Highway from their property. They were very polite and said YES. We finally exited and walked to our vehicles. While we were putting our things away and returning our tubes, I looked up and found a group of green River Rage tubers walking right thru the River Rat property to the highway. I watched as they were greeted with wave from the River Rage employee who was outside, YES a friendly wave. I was able to snap a picture, just for my own humor. Apparently there is some sort of dispute between these companies on the river, to which we had no part of and no idea. I feel that the City of Townsend is a wonderful place to visit, but the man from River Rage is not supportive of anyone not using his company. I have never been talked to in that manner and was embarrassed for him as his group of customers witnessed all this. Politeness goes along way. Rudeness loses customers. I have already told many people about this mans behavior. We also went tubing two more times during our visit and guess where we didn't buy our t shirts, shoes and rent our tubes from? We are happy to purchase River Rat items and wear them. You have a choice of where you can rent tubes, COWBOY, OR RIVER RAT is much friendlier, and has the tourist in mind, and earned our repeat business. We are in NO WAY affiliated with the other companies, as I have seen some of the other reviews, suggesting negative reviews are from posted from other companies. I do intend to write to the Chamber of Commerce as well.

1  Thank Kelly M
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We had a great time tubing with River Rage. They provided good tubes, transportation up the river, and changing rooms when we got back. We took a picnic lunch and ate at their picnic tables by the river. They also have a restaurant which looked good. We'd probably eat there instead of bringing a picnic if we did it again. They had a good price for a tubing and lunch combo. You can tube all you want for one price. I recommend tubing once before lunch, eating lunch, then going again. It took us about 1 1/2 hours for the upper section.

1  Thank David R
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We wanted to experience a tubing adventure and we were not disappointed. While the folks running this location did seem a little less chipper than the folks at River Rats, we figured we could put up with a little gruff for a $20 savings on rafting. Really, we didn't even interact with the River Rage staff except for checking in and the ride up. They really were nice, once you spoke to them. We had no problems getting our tubes and the driver took us right up to the drop-off location. After a few seconds of playing chicken with the COLD water, I finally followed my children's lead, hopped on my tube.......and away we went. There are some rough spots and my husband and I got stuck on some rocks, but we laughed and laughed. At one point the water got really deep and I rolled off of my tube to adjust thinking I would be able to hop right back on, but I sunk like a stone! Lol! Just be careful......and check your depth before you make any sudden moves, haha! All in all, we had a great time! We did buy the lunch package and we're glad we did. The food was excellent!

Been to River Rage? Share your experiences!