“Horrible dissapointment”
Review of Riverstone Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Townsend
Riverstone Lodge
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Townsend
Knoxville
“Horrible dissapointment”
Reviewed April 15, 2012

We had gone to a beautiful wedding in Townsend and didn't want to drive back to Knoxville that evening . Because of reviews we booked a room. Upon arrival at 10pm The first thing I noticed was a very OLD hotel room with old furnishings and decor and the biggest thing was I smelled Musty smell. We complained and they gave us a room above it was again same old decor and the carpet was ripped in area near the door and I knew that I just could not stay there. The woman was upset that we didn't like her "just shampooed " carpet . Said that was what I was smelling . Then the Man who took over said he would not refund because he could have rented it that evening , said the room was VERY clean and the cleanest room we could get . He seemed insulted but I KNOW a clean room when I see one . I feel for success they could use to strip the rooms make sure there is no mold and re furnish and carpet and paint the entire place to give it a more fresh appearance. We ended up driving back to Knoxville . If you are like me and want to stay in a fresh clean place I do NOT recommend it.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere and don't pay until you check out the room first .
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Reviewed April 7, 2012 via mobile

I have visited Townsend with my wife and kids quite often over the past 11 years. We have always stayed at cabins in the area. While the cabin settings are great. None of the cabins however could top my Easter 2012 stay at the Riverstone Lodge. After 5 weeks in Knoxville
Going through class, I was burnt out and needed a change of pace. I called Belinda at Riverstone Lodge and she booked a room for me right away and I was on my way to Townsend.

When I checked in around 6 pm I mentioned to Belinda that I was going to go hike the Abrams Falls trail in Cade's Cove. She expressed concern over this and told me to be careful. The next morning I checked in at the office she expressed how happy she was to see I made it back safe.

Perfect strangers that care about the well being of others... Wow! You don't find that at the branded hotels. My family will be staying here from now on when we come to the Smokies.

I didn't say anything about the rooms but they are magnificent. I stayed in a room with a single queen and a couch and it was perfect for that set up. And for me the bonus of the fire pit outweighed the fact that when I walked into my room, my cell phone signal died off. Peace and quiet at last.

Stayed April 2012
3 Thank Bayouusaf
NC
Reviewed April 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights for my 30th birthday getaway. We stayed here once before and really enjoyed our stay, so we stayed in the same room on this trip. I hate to say it wasn't so great this time around. Overall, the room was clean but felt as if it hadn't been cleaned for weeks. It felt as if a thick layer of dust filled the room.

After checking in, I noticed one of the towels hanging from the rack had a large pink stain on it in plain sight. I returned to the office and pointed this out. The lady apologized and happily handed me a stack of fresh towels. The Coke machine ate my quarters. I returned to the office the next morning and notified the man. He said it has trouble accepting coins and gave me a dollar bill. I noticed the nightstand by the bed had a dried up puddle or two of something on it, and my husband pointed out an orange stain (possibly old blood) in the middle of the fitted sheet. At this point, I felt I wore out my welcome with pointing out the flaws and was disappointed already, so I didn't bother notifying the office staff.

The folks that run this place are very nice and concerned about their guests. They allow you to make phone calls from their office if needed and accept phone messages for you since there are no phones in the room. A couple of tornadoes were in the area during our stay. Though it was a scary situation, and we hid out in the bathtub in our room, the owner was nice enough to warn us of the storms and welcomed us to his home if we were not comfortable hiding out in our room.

Service is top notch; location is wonderful; hotel grounds are beautiful; prices can't be beat. We hope to get to enjoy the nightly campfire if we ever return. Just hope we get a cleaner room and no tornadoes to have to deal with!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Great food, atmosphere, and service. Roast beef was food but a littke tough. Blt was excellent. Very buttery bread. Will return.

• Stayed April 2011
Reviewed December 27, 2011

This fall was our first time at riverstone. I have been to the mountains dozens of times over the years, stayed in everything from motel rooms to exotic chalets. This place is a keeper! Quiet, clean, wonderful atmosphere, and all at a great price. My only complaint is the restaurant next door by the same name (riverstone) has probably the worst service I have ever gotten in a restaurant. Great food, horrible service. If you just refuse to drive to eat, its good, but better restaurants are a short drive away. If the price doesn't change, this place is "two thumbs up"

Will be there next spring and fall for sure!

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank wnogood
NC
Reviewed November 27, 2011

My husband and I needed a place to stay on Black Friday. I originally booked a night at the Townsend Gateway Inn, seeing it is ranked #1 on here. However, I noticed our night was getting sold out and thought it would be too rowdy and crowded, so I decided to cancel and look elsewhere. I am so glad I called Riverstone Lodge. I saved nearly $30 by booking here. When I called to ask about the rates, I couldn't believe how reasonable, especially for the night after Thanksgiving! I was a little unsure how nice it would be, but seeing the great reviews and having stayed once many years ago before the remodeling of it, I knew it had to be great...and it was! We arrived in the late afternoon to check in and were eventually greeted by a nice lady that was preparing the nightly campfire. She said she went ahead and turned the heat on for us in our room. We had a non-smoking single queen room in the new building with cozy carpet, comfy bedding, a two-seater sofa, coffee table, nightstand with alarm clock and cute black bear carving on it, new flat-screen TV, rocking chair in front of the window inside, coffee maker with coffee mugs plus coffee, microwave, mini fridge, and a spacious bathroom! We even had our own little table with two rockers outside our door. We enjoyed every bit of our stay. We didn't want to leave and can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: If cigarette smoke bothers you, be prepared when you enter the hotel office. I could barely breathe...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank iluvtownsend
Hilliard, FL
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Great place to sleep and unbelievable price! It has a home feel to it. The restaurant is very good, great price and they serve a large portion! I'm coming back!

• Stayed November 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Townsend
Townsend Gateway Inn
The Lodge at Buckberry Creek
Dancing Bear Lodge
Dancing Bear Lodge
#1 of 10 in Townsend

Been to Riverstone Lodge? Share your experiences!