“A Fun Stop for Families”

Great Smoky Mountain Heritage Center
Ranked #7 of 33 things to do in Townsend
More attraction details
Owner description: A nonprofit organization formed to preserve and present the heritage of the East Tennessee region. The mission of the Great Smoky Mountain Heritage Center is to preserve, protect and promote the unique history and rich culture of the residents and Native Americans who inhabited the East Tennessee mountain communities that were incorporated into the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and its surroundings. The Heritage Center is located on a five acre site along state highway 73 in Townsend, Tennessee.
Reviewed July 23, 2014

The Heritage Center was a great stop. The multiple buildings that have been relocated to the Center are impressive; as are the exhibits. A really fun stop on your way to the Great Smoky Mountains via Townsend.

2  Thank cafebeatty

Reviewed July 21, 2014

This museum is really neat. We took our kids to see it and most of the experience was really enjoyable. In the museum is a kids playroom, and in the playroom is a Christmas tree with little ornaments.My children younger children were playing in the room with my husband and my 15 year old daughter. My 15 year old daughter noticed an ornament had fallen on the floor and picked it up and began replacing it on the tree. Apparently there is a camera the attendants watch in that room. An attendant ran into the room and scolded my daughter telling her those were donated ornaments and she could'nt take them. The attendant then came back into the museum store where I was along with around 5 other customers of the museum I did not know, and loudly told the other attendant about my daughter who was trying to "steal" the ornaments from the tree. This was highly offensive to me, as my child is very well mannered and certainly was not "stealing", but helping the museum to keep something from getting messed up by replacing it in it's proper place. How rude of these attendants! Other than the folks working there, this is a really neat place to see. Shame on them for diminshing the great experience by not knowing how to behave toward their paying customers.

7  Thank Bonnie L
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Very informative and enjoyable. Easy to get to and did not required a lot of walking. Helped me appreciate the history of this area.

1  Thank Sherry B
Reviewed June 22, 2014

So glad this museum was recommended to us by the young lady at the visitor's center in Townsend. The video was very informative and just the right length. The exhibits are interesting and the reconstructed village is excellent. We had spent the morning hiking and visiting places along the Roaring Fork Motor Trail and visiting this museum afterwards made for a great day!

Reviewed May 25, 2014

Take some time to spend at the Heritage Center, Check to see when they have special activities for both the young and old. Time spend is not wasted even if the kids think it is.

1  Thank AuntJo43