“Neat experience”

Cuisines: Polynesian
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Just a nice, fun place to go and relax. Out of the normal way but worth the trip! Planning on going back soon.

1  Thank mdakinsintdes

Reviewed December 14, 2012

We had never been and were unsure what to order, so we tried one of the samplers. It was expensive and under-whelming. The ribs were basically pork spareribs you get at a chinese buffet including the same sweet glaze. Almost everything was fried or oily, we left feeling like it was a mix of fried foods and a chinese buffet.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Seems to be a big favorite on weekends, but I tried it a few times and finally gave up. I rarely write negative reviews, but sorry Omni Hut. Nothing personal. The people are really nice!

Mostly routine Chinese fare, skimpy portions especially small bits of meat in mixed dishes, poor quality meats (almost looks like canned cut into little squares or bits), more sauce than substance. Seriously; I've had better from canned LaChoy.

I also failed to ask about MSG but my physical reactions within an hour (each time) told me they use a lot off it. Too bad. I live nearby and was really hoping it would live up to its popular appearance from all the cars there on weekends. I tried. I really tried, because I love to support local family businesses. Unfortunately, not this one :-(

Reviewed November 29, 2012

Went there for our anniversary and was very disappointed with the LONG WAIT, over-priced average food. The place smells "old" and musty. We could have had as good food going to a chinese buffet.

1  Thank Don H
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Same table - same waitress - for the last several years - when the family and immediate family celebrate birthdays. Several bdays in September so it won't be long. While I do enjoy the "feasts" as they are known, I generally go for the Chicken Ono Ono or Steak (Kabob) and Chicken. While their dinner salad is your standard issue lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion (and canned pinapple for that exotic feel) it always tastes SO GOOD here - and that is with bottled French dressing. They do make several of their other dressings in house.

My wife, daugher, son-in-law and I ate here just last Saturday to celebrate my daughter's new job and son-in-law's first week of grad school. Some menu items I also enjoy - the fried mushrooms with their hot mustard (hot mustard is dangerously good) and shredded cabbage. The Thai and Spicy Bamboo Chicken is for those that like a little heat. Steaks are good as is the grilled seafood items. Have to be in the mood, but I like the Chicken Chow Mein as well.

The atmosphere is a little hoaky - lit aquariums, fake fountains, black lights, tiki masks and 50's furniture, but that is part of what makes it the Omni Hut. Like most restaurants, since smoking was banned a few years back - it really helped the desirability and taste of the food, because it wasn't very well ventilated. There are two separate dining rooms, I like the one on the left, my wife likes the one on the right - so it's up to you to make that decision.

Weeknights you should have no problem walking right in. Fridays and Saturdays from opening (5:30) to around 7:00 there is a wait UNLESS you go on a Friday during football season and Smyrna High has a home game. Such was the case last Saturday (game moved from Friday night) when we went - 10 minute wait.

It is somewhat pricey. Dining tip - the Chicken Ono Ono King portion is two complete chicken breasts and can be shared if you don't have a huge appetite. The meal, with cup of soup, salad, potato or rice and all the bread you can eat is $15.95. An extra dinner salad is $3.25. The soup is good, but is just chicken broth with drizzled egg white. I think it is $1.25 if you wanted an extra. You never feel rushed to leave and the service is excellent - ask if Jennie is working! Most of the feasts would probably satisfy two - you just get one of everything - check the website above for details.

2  Thank room121

Been to Omni Hut? Share your experiences!