“Not to good”

Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Smyrna
IL
“Not to good”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Looked good from the outside but not so good on the inside. Needed a better cleaning. The room also smelled of something but I couldn't figure out what. I also thought it was too expensive for a Sleep Inn. The location is OK. There are places to eat close by. I didn't try the breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Darrell W
GMSmyrna, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Smyrna, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Darrell,

Thank you for your honest review of our property. On behalf of the staff, I sincerely apologize for your experience. I can assure you that the condition of our property has vastly improved since your stay here. We have a completely new housekeeping staff, and many upgraded features. I'd like to invite you to come back and give us a second try. I am sure that you will be impressed! And you have to try the breakfast! The fresh waffles are delicious!

Thanks again!
The Sleep Inn Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Montgomery
Reviewed October 17, 2012

For the money, this Sleep Inn is very nice. Well appointed and a good breakfast. Compared to the more expensive motels int he area I would say it is worth the stay to save money and still feel relaxed and refreshed.

Room Tip: Not a lot of noise from the freeway. Any room should be adequate.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Dennis M
GMSmyrna, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Smyrna, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Dennis,

Thank you so much for your complimentary review of our hotel. We pride ourselves on the value that we offer to our guests and I am delighted to hear that you were able to enjoy it. We offer all of the same amenities as the rest of the hotels in the area, but we always have a Best Rate Guarantee. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Smyrna!

Thanks!
Henderson, Kentucky
Reviewed October 4, 2012

The Sleep Inn in smyrna had been a normal stay for me until about 3 yrs. ago when I began staying at Hampton Inn or Hilton Garden Inn and even Holiday Inn Express or Comfort Suites. However, all of these last hotels hiked their rates exceptionally high this past week-from $139.00/nite to $159/nite! In Smyrna! The rates use to be aboutI $98/nite. I was told the high rates were due to construction at Nissan and also a soccer tournatment nearby. Outrageous! The Sleep Inn was my next choice. The room was filthy and the hall way carpet even wrose; hair on the bathroom floor and in the tub; dusty furniture; etc. The desk clerk immediately switched me to another room which was somewhat better. I feel the room was either never cleaned or someone did a quick once over with negative results. Even though staff was very nice and accomating, I won't be staying there again. The hotel seems dated and needs an entire facelift. I never got over the feeling of dirt all around me and could not wait to leave.

Room Tip: Higher floors are less noisey and especially if you ask to be away from the elevator.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

I'd like to thank you for your honest review of our hotel and sincerely apologize for your negative experience. I can assure you that the cleanliness issues in the room are not a typical experience. The hallway carpets were temporarily in poor condition due to the construction at the Nissan plant that you mentioned. We hosted several workers who were working in/around grease at the plant and unfortunately, that was carried back into the hotel. As soon as this project was done, we had our carpets professionally deep-cleaned. While I cannot justify any of the issues you experienced in the first room, I am glad to hear that the second room was much better. We have implemented several changes in our housekeeping staff and services, and I am confident that if you stay here again, you will be much more pleased. I understand that our hotel may seem a bit dated right now, but the good news is that we are currently undergoing a refresh and we will be recieving the facelift that you mentioned. Please consider staying with us again on your next trip to Smyrna. You can contact me directly for a great rate. Thanks!
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I stayed on the 2 floor room 221 and it was the best stay ever. In the room the bathroom was big it came with soap,lotion and a bucket for ice. It had cable too. The hotel had an indoor pool and a computer. The workers had good manners. It was a perfect stay.

• Stayed September 2012
GMSmyrna, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Smyrna, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thank you so much for your enthusiastic review of our hotel. I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your experience. We strive for each and every guest to have a perfect stay. I am glad you found the amenities to be useful for you!

We can't wait to see you again on your next trip to Smyrna! Thanks!
Island Lake, Illinois
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Upon entering the room a very strong musty smell came over us and we began to gag. We started the A/C thinking this would help. After going to dinner we came back and the smell was just as bad. I went to the desk and complained and was told it was due to recently cleaning the carpets, then the desk manager gave ME a bottle of green liquid to spray in the room as air freshner. We tried this a couple times and it still did not work. At 12:30 in the morning, my husband and my daughter became visibly sick and I then demanded a new room. We changed rooms and the new room was MUCH better. When we checked out and I told management about all this, the only discount we received was $15 off our bill for the pet fee. That was it. We will never stay here again. We should have been credited for the entire night since we were sick from the smell. In addition to all this there were several small dark hairs all over the bathroom that resembled pubic hairs. Disgusting!

Room Tip: Inspect your room thoroughly!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Patsy,

Thank you for staying with us and posting your honest review. I would like to apologize on behalf of the staff for the negative experience that occurred for you. While the odor of the carpet cleaner was temporary, it was unexpected and I do apologize that you had experience it. In the future, we will not rent the rooms that have been recently cleaned and we will wait until the chemical smell fades. I do apologize again for that. I am glad that you were able to be moved to a much better room.

I hope that you'll return here on your next visit to Smyrna. I can assure you that the problems that you experienced are no longer problems here.

Thanks again, Patsy!
McMinnville, Tennessee
Reviewed August 15, 2012

When we arrived a problem had occurred at the motel where our original reservation had been made with a water pipe on the 3rd floor so the motel was closed for clean up, I understand that things can happen so at this point no big deal. There was a sign on the door that stated all reservations had been moved to the Sleep Inn. I had done plenty of research on feedback and reviews and this was my reason for choosing La Quinta Inn. When we arrived at the Sleep Inn it was evident that we had been down graded as far as the accommodations were concerned. The room however clean still had many issues, the air unit was worn out , the room had evidently had a fight happen in it because the lampshade was damaged but then it gets better, no pillow top king bed, just a regular one. Then its get's worse, the shower was simply eat up in mold and the shower head itself had lots of red mold growing on it. It was so full of mold that there was no water pressure. Maybe someone needs to tell the guys about CLR or Lysol Bathroom cleaner for mildew or something. The continental breakfast featured plenty of cold biscuits and other cold items. One man kept asking for even just a boiled egg but no luck. Needless to say it got worse. My bill had a charge for a safe, of $1.50, according to the bill though if you wanted that removed they would gladly do so, we did not use the safe so I wanted the $1.50 removed, the guy, "Mark" was a jerk about it and acted very frustrated because I asked him to do what they had a sign up on their counter saying they would do. I feel we have been bamboozled on this deal. In the future I will be very careful who I use to make reservations.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else to stay
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your honest review of our hotel. On behalf of the entire staff, I would like to genuinely apologize for your experience. I can assure you that this is not a typical experience here. I am happy to inform you that we are working diligently to repair or improve all of the items that you mentioned in your review, and that no guest will ever experience that in the future. I am pleased that your room was clean and you found our location to be of value. Please consider giving us a second chance on your next trip to Smyrna. I am confident that you will be much more pleased with your experience.
Toledo, Ohio, United States
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I am a choice member. I have stayed at many of the chain's hotels. This one was moderately priced, the desk gal at night was awesome. She was almost positive that the King was ready. "The maids are not suppose to check out until the rooms are clean....but sometimes they forget to do the computer end of it. Let me know if there are any problems." This was midnight, we were tired. The room was fine except when we pulled the bedcovers down. Brown butt stains looked back at us. How can a maid not see these? WE went downstairs and the desk clerk gave us some new sheets so we could make our bed up and hit the sack. The sheets she gave us were yellowed, yet laundered. You may want to use some bluing or clorox and get those sheets white. NO WI FI. No one knew passcodes that worked on my IPAD cause "I don't have one of those". We were going to stay two nights...shortened it to one and got out fast. Carpet had pulls in in but the bathroom was newly renovated and had a lovely oversize shower...no tub.

Room Tip: ask to see the room BEFORE you pay for it...most good innkeepers have no problem with that.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
GMSmyrna, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Smyrna, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Dear Teri,

Thank you for your honest review of our hotel. I would like to send out my sincere apologies for the issue with the sheets that you experienced. I can assure you that this is the first time we have ever had an issue such as that. I am happy to hear that Kally was able to resolve the situation for you and provide exceptional service. We have also changed to a new laundry chemical which provides much brighter white sheets, so it will eliminate the possibility of this occurring again.

I know how frustrating it can be to have trouble accessing the internet when you need it, so I would like to thank you for bringing the issues with your iPad to our attention. It has inspired us to train how to connect on several different devices, including iPads, so that they may provide help to future guests. I am also happy to hear how much you enjoyed the oversized shower. A good shower is one of the most relaxing parts of being on the road!

I hope that you will give us a second chance on your next trip to Smyrna. Thank you again!