“Very disappointed”

Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Smyrna
McMinnville, Tennessee
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

When we arrived a problem had occurred at the motel where our original reservation had been made with a water pipe on the 3rd floor so the motel was closed for clean up, I understand that things can happen so at this point no big deal. There was a sign on the door that stated all reservations had been moved to the Sleep Inn. I had done plenty of research on feedback and reviews and this was my reason for choosing La Quinta Inn. When we arrived at the Sleep Inn it was evident that we had been down graded as far as the accommodations were concerned. The room however clean still had many issues, the air unit was worn out , the room had evidently had a fight happen in it because the lampshade was damaged but then it gets better, no pillow top king bed, just a regular one. Then its get's worse, the shower was simply eat up in mold and the shower head itself had lots of red mold growing on it. It was so full of mold that there was no water pressure. Maybe someone needs to tell the guys about CLR or Lysol Bathroom cleaner for mildew or something. The continental breakfast featured plenty of cold biscuits and other cold items. One man kept asking for even just a boiled egg but no luck. Needless to say it got worse. My bill had a charge for a safe, of $1.50, according to the bill though if you wanted that removed they would gladly do so, we did not use the safe so I wanted the $1.50 removed, the guy, "Mark" was a jerk about it and acted very frustrated because I asked him to do what they had a sign up on their counter saying they would do. I feel we have been bamboozled on this deal. In the future I will be very careful who I use to make reservations.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else to stay
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
GMSmyrna, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Smyrna, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thank you for your honest review of our hotel. On behalf of the entire staff, I would like to genuinely apologize for your experience. I can assure you that this is not a typical experience here. I am happy to inform you that we are working diligently to repair or improve all of the items that you mentioned in your review, and that no guest will ever experience that in the future. I am pleased that your room was clean and you found our location to be of value. Please consider giving us a second chance on your next trip to Smyrna. I am confident that you will be much more pleased with your experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Toledo, Ohio, United States
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I am a choice member. I have stayed at many of the chain's hotels. This one was moderately priced, the desk gal at night was awesome. She was almost positive that the King was ready. "The maids are not suppose to check out until the rooms are clean....but sometimes they forget to do the computer end of it. Let me know if there are any problems." This was midnight, we were tired. The room was fine except when we pulled the bedcovers down. Brown butt stains looked back at us. How can a maid not see these? WE went downstairs and the desk clerk gave us some new sheets so we could make our bed up and hit the sack. The sheets she gave us were yellowed, yet laundered. You may want to use some bluing or clorox and get those sheets white. NO WI FI. No one knew passcodes that worked on my IPAD cause "I don't have one of those". We were going to stay two nights...shortened it to one and got out fast. Carpet had pulls in in but the bathroom was newly renovated and had a lovely oversize shower...no tub.

Room Tip: ask to see the room BEFORE you pay for it...most good innkeepers have no problem with that.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
GMSmyrna, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Smyrna, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Dear Teri,

Thank you for your honest review of our hotel. I would like to send out my sincere apologies for the issue with the sheets that you experienced. I can assure you that this is the first time we have ever had an issue such as that. I am happy to hear that Kally was able to resolve the situation for you and provide exceptional service. We have also changed to a new laundry chemical which provides much brighter white sheets, so it will eliminate the possibility of this occurring again.

I know how frustrating it can be to have trouble accessing the internet when you need it, so I would like to thank you for bringing the issues with your iPad to our attention. It has inspired us to train how to connect on several different devices, including iPads, so that they may provide help to future guests. I am also happy to hear how much you enjoyed the oversized shower. A good shower is one of the most relaxing parts of being on the road!

I hope that you will give us a second chance on your next trip to Smyrna. Thank you again!
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We had spent money all week on hotels when we where in Florida,and out of them all this one was the worst, all the others were great. The front desk staff was very friendly and kind, the young lady that did the breakfast was on top of things and we didn't have to wait for anything. The kids liked the pool, and there were two restuarants on either side of the hotel that you could walk to. So with saying that, what i didn't like was how clean the room was, I am far from a germ freak, but the mold that was growing in the sink and the carpet not being clean, or the little kids underwear, gum wrappers and pen that i found under our bed, I was a lttle freaked out. I just prayed that the sheets had been chaged, because the throw on our bed wasn't made neatly, and the fridge had freezer burn all around it, so you couldn't put anything in it. All in all they really need to work on the cleaning of each room after a guest stays there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Sarah,

Thank you for your honest review of our hotel. I would like to apologize for the poor experience you had with the cleanliness of your room. This is not a typical experience here. I have addressed each of your concerns with our Housekeeping team and we are working diligently to ensure that no guest ever has an experience like that again.

I am glad to hear that you found our staff service to be of great value and that your children were able to enjoy the pool and breakfast so much!

I hope that you'll return to have an overall great experience on your next trip through Smyrna!
Detroit
Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

Carpet is trashed, shower head is nasty, m&m's on elevator floor for some time, lights without light bulbs. Clean bed, ok breakfast. It's a Sleep Inn, they are a little old and run down but it was ok.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We would like to apologize that you did not find every part of your stay to be acceptable. I am pleased to inform you that we have recently made several significant improvements to the hotel, some of which address your concerns directly, such as professional carpet cleaning, new shower heads, and replaced all missing light bulbs. I cannot justify the poor condition that you experienced during your stay, but I can assure you that if you return, you will experience something much greater. We have many more upcoming improvements planned and we can't wait for you to see them if you will give us a second chance on your next trip to Smyrna.

Thank you again!
Cedar Park, Texas, United States
Reviewed July 20, 2012

i stayed @ this location several yrs ago & my experience was perfect!! Returning to Smyrna for a family reunion,i booked the same hotel expecting the same service and cleanliness.We drove 15 hrs from Tx to be greeted by a "pool closed" sign because of a chlorine problem which lasted from our arrival on 7-7-2012 to departure 7-9-2012. Where was maintenance? My daughters (18 & 20) have been lifeguards - can check chlorine levels & know it only takes a few hours for chlorine to be corrected after treatment. Come on..it's summertime..customers expect pools!!! We had go to front desk for fold out couch sheets. Elevator did not run smooth & inspection certification was not posted inside...had to request info from front desk (strange). Mold in bathtub/shower. Employees @ front desk did not seem interested or concerned about guest complaints. While we were @ reunion on 7-8-2012,our room was not serviced. Upon returning,we had to take our own trash to dumpster & request trash bags,clean towels,toilet & tissue paper!!!!! Next morning,i heard cleaning staff mention how they were sent to another location (can't remember where) to service an understaffed hotel and glad to be back,but very tired (strange,again).The breakfast tasty and satisfying.Will never book this hotel again!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Nancy S
Dear Nancy,

Thank your for your honest review of our property. On behalf of our entire staff, I would like to sincerely apologize for the nature of your stay. I understand how frustrating it can be to drive for such an extended period of time and have an unpleasant arrival at your destination. I can assure you this is not a typical experience.

Our pool was down for a short period of time in order to implement long-term improvements. We closed it to drain it and paint it. It has been back in order since then and it is better than ever. We did lower rates during the period where our pool was down, as we understand that a piece of what you would be paying for was missing. I would also like to apologize for the miscommunication with our housekeeping team in regards to whether or not you would have liked to have your room serviced. I have met with our staff and we have implemented a pro-active plan in order to ensure this does not happen again.

I am happy that you found our breakfast to be of value and our location to be convenient for you.

I can assure you that if you give us a second chance, you will be pleasantly surprised at how great a typical stay is here. We hope to see you again soon!
Acworth, Georgia, United States
Reviewed July 17, 2012

While traveling by myself I encountered a semi medical emergency. I puled into your facility for help. They were very attentive to my needs, offered to call EMS for me & made me comfortable. As an uncontrolled asthmatic I was in the early stage of respiratory distress. They rented me a room so that I could administer my treatments. check on my status and checked on me several times while I had to sleep off the side effect of the treatment. These individuals are to be commended for their extremely high level level of professionalism & concern. I have been in management positions & would be extremely please to have them work for me.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Dear Candy,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We are so pleased that you were able to find the comfort and attention that you needed from our staff. We truly believe in caring about our guests before, during, and after their stay. We are happy to hear that you are feeling better. If you are ever in the Smyrna area again, we would love to see you!

Thank you again, Candy!