“About what you would expect, but a little pricey for what you get”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Smyrna TN - Nashville
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Smyrna
Portland, Oregon
“About what you would expect, but a little pricey for what you get”
Reviewed June 23, 2011

Hotel was clean, checkin was efficient, convenient to the freeway, but not too noisy. I've stayed in La Quinta's quite a few times, and this was one of the better ones, but it was also one of the more expensive ones at about $130 incl tax for a deluxe room. Breakfast, as is typical at LQ was fairly sad.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank rbdglj

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed June 15, 2011

Phone and refrigerator in our suite did not work. Could hear people running up and down the stairs. My wife and I are retired and we travel a lot. My first choice has been La Quinta Inns. I will have very serious thoughts before I stay in a La Quinta Inn again. .

Room Tip: Find another place
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Tennessee
Reviewed June 2, 2011

I can not say enough about how nice the people were at the hotel in Smyrna and the breakfast lady was just super nice. The room we stayed in was also nice and clean.

We had not planned on staying in a hotel when we arrived in Smyrna. However, we were moving our son and his new bride there and placing the thing in their new home. When we arrived there to the new house the electric had not been turned on. Because they were on a cruise there was nothing we could do. The weather was in the 90's so we did not have a choice but to stay in a hotel. Our first night we were there at check in I saw a coupon for a much better price. Knowing that we would have to rent a place for 4 nights we decided to look for the coupon on Saturday so this would cut back the amount of money we were spending. We had rented a 22 foot Penske truck and had to put the fuel back in it. We had planned on staying in their house until they arrived from the cruise. We did finally find a better price to we went back on Saturday to check in. We stayed until Tuesday morning. When we left I had the front desk clerk to run me off a copy of the entire bill. Wow...I just had enough money in my debt card to cover the 4 nights. I was very happy about this. We arrived home Tuesday night and I checked my account...same thing on Wednesday it was still fine. The charges was correct and had been deducted. So...this morning which is Thursday to my surprise I had an additional charge of almost $80 taken out of my account which put me in the neg. balance. I was so upset that I called the hotel to talk with them. This charge was for any problems that they may find in the room. This may stay on my account up to 14 days. I am NOT happy about this. When I got the total amount that morning we were checking out this WAS NOT included. This just appeared on Thursday morning. We did not have a dog and we left the room in excellent shape. I have never been charged this at any of the other hotels we have stayed at. Usually we stay at the Comfort Suites and we have in Smyrna. They were booked for the weekend. Again, I like the hotel and the people there was very nice. I know she said it was the company that made the rules and that it was posted. However, they need to make it much clearer and when you ask for a print out then that should be included as well. I don't like having a neg. balance. I had told them that I was cutting it close because I had not planned on the exp of a hotel. They also do not take cash payment. You have to put it on a card. I would stay there again but from now on that should be down on the final checkout statement and the attendant should tell you that this will appear on your debt card but taken off up to 14 days. Yes, we talked about charges but I did not know that this would appear 2 days later. When you use a debt card the amount is taken out then. They told me it was not but with US Bank it is. All charges are deducted from the authorization from the amount of money you have in your account. That is the way that my bank does. If this extra amount had been on my final bill would have been much better. I just think everyone should be aware of this before giving them your debt card. We spent $1,069 on this moving trip. I am just disappointed about the extra charge on my account and that it may appear on there up to 14 days. That is just not right!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank bird311
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed April 27, 2011

Stayed 1 night in April 2011. This hotel is beautiful--brand new and spotless. The staff were friendly and helpful, they provide an amazing breakfast, there is a great business center, and you are down the block (a short drive) from all of the shops and restaurants you can imagine. Parking is free and the area is extremely safe. The reason I would not stay here again or recommend this hotel is that the walls are paper thin. At night I could hear the TV next to me as if it was on in my own room. I called the front desk twice and they did call the man next to me, who finally turned it off. In the morning I could hear the TV in the room on the other side of me. When I walked down the hall I could hear every TV in every room--sports, news, cartoons, etc... I hate to give this beautiful place a negative review, and I applaud them for the things they're doing well, but they really should have invested in better soundproofing because it's so important to have a quiet night for sleeping well when travelling. I will say that the young girl at the front desk was so helpful in trying to make the situation better, and even offered to move me to a 2-room suite in a quieter area of the hotel, but I didn't want to move at 10pm and the man finally turned off his TV. Please email with questions, JenPerna@aol.com

Room Tip: Ask for a room with nobody next door!!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank JenPerna
Clinton Township, Michigan
Reviewed April 27, 2011

We booked our hotel through hotwire for two nights for a wonderful price of 187.95. Sounds great right? Well, upon checking into the hotel we were asked to provide a credit card for incidental charges. We provided our card and assumed that if damages or charges weren't present at checkout that everything would check out fine. To our surprise there was a $145.00 AUTHORIZATION HOLD, that was placed on our credit card for the two night stay. I dont know about you, but if the original idea was to use cost saving measures to book a hotel at a reduced rate, it sure was unexpected and unbelievable that the hotel would place a hold on my credit card for almost the entire balance of my stay. The manager Brian, stated that this is a policy of their hotel and that it is stated on somewhere at the front desk. I launched several complaints on lq.com as well as speaking with a corporate manager about this because believe me this is not a uniformed policy at all laquinta locations. Call the Utica, Mi. location and they will tell you that this is absurd. They do no such thing, and they are a new and beautiful facility with comparable facilities and an even better morning breakfast bar. If this is a policy of this hotel, it definately should not be left to the consumer to find out about these additional hold policies through their own observance, but rather it should be stated by the clerk who is assigning the room key to the consumer. If i am standing in the lobby with a confirmation and a prepaid reservation, my eyes are not honed in on a sign that is conveniently tucked away somewhere. But again, it should be handled properly by informing the guest that although they have prepaid for their room through hotwire, there will be an additional charge held on your credit card for 7 business days. That can make all the difference to a traveler that IS DEPENDING ON ALL OF THEIR AVAILABLE CREDIT!!! AND I also asked customer service, "What happens if this undisclosed amount of money that they randomly charged based on the length of stay is not available on your credit card, because you PREPAID FOR YOUR STAY IN ADVANCE RIGHT? My answer is that my card would have been declined and I would not have been allowed to stay at that hotel. BAD BUSINESS, POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE, AND A LACK OF TRANSPARENCY TO THE GUEST. I WENT ON TO ASK, WHAT THE FORMULA IS FOR THIS SO CALLED "AUTHORIZATION CHARGE"? IS IT 150? 200? 300? AND I WAS TOLD THAT IT ALL DEPENDS ON YOUR LENGTH OF STAY. SO ACTUALLY, YOU DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH YOU NEED AVAILABLE ON YOUR CARD AS AUTHORIZATION, ALTHOUGH YOU HAVE ALREADY PAID FOR THE RATE OF YOUR ROOM!!!! SERIOUSLY? In this economy everybody needs to know what exactly is going on with their finances. Shame on you, BRIAN (MANAGER) FOR NOT MAKING THIS EXPECTATION A VERBAL REQUIREMENT OF YOUR EMPLOYEES TO YOUR GUESTS. THIS HAS CAUSED ME A GREAT DEAL OF INCONVEINECE, YOU GUYS SAY OH, ITS JUST A HOLD. BUT I NEEDED THOSE FUNDS FOR MY TRAVEL ACROSS STATES....SO UNFAIR!!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
9 Thank PAMELASPEAR
Clinton, TN
Reviewed April 6, 2011

This was the second time that my husband and I have stayed at this La Quinta. The managment was wonderful to work with and our room was very comfortable. The only area where this hotel needs to improve is the breakfast. I am diabetic and there were not many choices that I could eat. The eggs were "interesting" and they did not have any sugar free syrup. When you are staying more than one night it would be nice to have a different protien choice for breakfast.
I would stay again as long as I continue to get competitive deals on my stay.

Room Tip: Call about an upgrade or deal on a room.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
6293GM, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Smyrna TN - Nashville, responded to this review, April 8, 2011
The LaQuinta Inn and Suites is very pleased that you took the time to help us improve. As a valued guest staying with us for the second time we want to do everything we can to make your stay the best. I will look into more options for your needs. Again, thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Larry Stephenson, General Manager - We are here for you!
Murray, Kentucky
Reviewed January 26, 2011

Easily accessible; staff very, very helpful and friendly over the phone and in person; very clean, well decorated, large rooms and amenities, very comfortable beds, AND PET FRIENDLY! Only negative . . . we had a hard time adjusting the temperature in the room and would suggest another blanket on the bed.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
6293GM, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Smyrna TN - Nashville, responded to this review, February 22, 2011
Thank you, for taking time to send in a comment. LaQuinta Inn and Suites - Smyrna, takes pride in our customer service and will always be glad to furnish you with extra blankets.

Again, Thank you for comments