“Not Your Average Comfort Suite”

Comfort Suites Smyrna
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Smyrna
Houston, TX
“Not Your Average Comfort Suite”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We have typically had very good experiences at Comfort Suites and the property in Smyrna, TN is only 2 years old at the time of this review but we had to change hotels because this property was so bad. We had reserved 6 rooms for our girls basketball team and check in went pretty smoothly however, we were required to prepay for our 4 night stay which I've never in all my years of travel been asked to do. It made me wonder if they have a lot of guests who arrive and want to leave so this was their way of discouraging people from asking for a refund but we did any way. The lobby looks nice but the breakfast area is very small and the breakfast so I was wondering how we were going to fit even our group of 16 into the area. Well the next morning when we went down for breakfast the girls refused to eat there the food was so bad. There was literally a sign on the bread keeper that said "we precook our biscuits then freeze them so please reheat in the microwave. Sorry for the inconvenience" Ugh....NOT very appetizing. The paper plates were the cheapest, flimsiest PAPER plate you've ever seen. We had to leave and take the girls out to eat before their game which ate into their budgets and made us late arriving to the venue. The towels were the cheapest towels I've ever seen and certainly not the quality you'd expect at a hotel that was charging us $110/night. I've had better at a Motel 6! The rooms looked ok but were not clean when you looked closely. The showers barely had any pressure and the hallways were very hot too. There are plenty of other places to stay in Smyrna!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank dragonlady629

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Marco Island, Florida
Reviewed July 1, 2012

There was a sign on the side of the building that read "Now open". Thinking that this was a new hotel and probably new and clean we stopped here. At check-in the desk clerk acted as if I was interupting him from something important. The room was not clean. Dirty carpet, hair and dead insect on the bathroom floor. The desk chair seat was so dirty I wouldn't sit or put anything in it. One side of the chair had part of the armrest torn off. The coffee maker didn't work. Both bedside lamps wouldn't light, one unplugged and one with a burned out bulb. Although the desk clerk did come up and vacuumed the room your socks still got dirty just walking around the room. This is the dirtiest room I have stayed at in the states. Given the state of the room who want the free breakfast from a kitchen that could be just as dirty. My key also stopped working after one use. Lots of other hotels close to this one so choose another.

Room Tip: go somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joseph N
Arlington, Tennessee
Reviewed May 31, 2012 via mobile

If I had read all the other reviews prior to this one before I stayed then I probably wouldn't have stayed here. However I didn't and my stay was really great. The hotel is newly renovated and is very nice. The day clerk was nice also. I was actually blown away when I got to my room. I thought I had checked into Hampton Inn. The room couldn't have been nicer. The bed was extremely comfortable. The pool was large and the workout room was small with very little options. Two things I did see. The night stand in my room was pulled out from the wall some and I just happened to look behind it from the bed. It was extremely dusty and had some trash behind it. The other thing was the fruit basket in the dining area had some really bad molded oranges in it. Other than this, my stay was great and would definitely go back for another visit. Oh, one more thing. I didn't really like the fact that the afternoon clerk was talking to me with a big fat dip in his mouth. I thought that this and his disgusting spit cup on the counter for everyone to see was extremely unprofessional. It sounds as if this hotel could use some coaching for it's employees.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Smyrna, Tennessee
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I have stayed at Comfort Suites before - this was the worst one ever (or any hotel I have stayed at in years). First, unbeknownst to me, when I booked the reservation I was sent to an outsourcing agency. I told them I wanted to make the reservation with my credit card, but change it to my business card when I got there. When I did get there, the desk clerk told me that he could not take my business credit card, as I had booked through a 3rd party. This was news to me and very frustrating - they made NO attempt to fix it. On top of that, we arrived exactly at check-in time, however, we had to wait over 45 minutes for our room to be readied. When I entered my room it smelled and the beds looked as though they had been remade - not changed. There was a live bug in the bathtub. When I went to see if we could stay a while longer than checkout - as we had done before due to the nature of our visit - they said no. When I said that other motels in the area had allowed us to do it for years past, the clerk lied to me and said that we had arrived earlier than check-in time anyway. When I pointed out that she had lied and that I had numerous witnesses to support my story, she just said 'it is what it is' - and finally said that we could check out an hour late. I would rather camp on the sidewalk than EVER stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DoPaKi
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed May 23, 2012

I was nervous about booking a suite for my family after reading some of the other reviews but I took a chance and there were no problems. The staff was nice and polite, the room was clean (I live locally and made a point of going over to "inspect" it personally), and upon asking at the front desk my family was able to get a room in their exact preferred location (first floor near the exit). They spent quite a bit of time at the pool and experienced no issues, and they told me breakfast was pretty tasty. They were able to check in early (around 1pm) with no problems and also requested to check out late and that request was honored as well without issue. No rude staff (you get more flies with honey), no nastiness (and I'm a germaphobe, ask anyone), and I used Hotwire to get a good deal (the power of the internet is a beautiful thing).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Detroit
Reviewed April 19, 2012

A mouse trap on the trash can next to the waffle maker, trash in my room, dirty elevator. It's a new hotel and would be nice if they cleaned it.

• Stayed April 2012
Illinois
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I went to the front desk to start with and I greeted the person and he was not very receptive. There were 3 cars in the whole parking lot. Someone else checked in and was charged $85 for a family of 4. I asked for a room also for 4 people and I was quoted $119 and with AAA discount $109 I asked the guy why are you charging me $ 109 when you just charged another Family $85 He could not answer my question and shrugged his shoulders. As it turns out when I asked for the GM this guy is the Gm, Owner, Desk clerk all in one and his name is Sam. I again asked him why are you charging me so much more and there are 3 cars in your parking lot. Sam answered because I have 4 people in my party. I replied that I have the same amount of Family as the guy you just charged $85 So your charging me for my two kids ? Made absolutely no sense and this guy was a total IDIOT and very rude with no people skills at all. I would not recommending anyone staying here at all. Just read all the other reviews about this nut ball.

Room Tip: Beware Of This Place
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family