“Good country cookin!”

Good for: Kids, Families with children
Knoxville,TN
“Good country cookin!”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We love visiting this place and especially the flat iron steak, the Mac n cheese and FRIED pickles!ummmmmmmmmm!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank KSE00

“Awesome!”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Great food, and wonderful atmosphere! The food we had was incredible ( steak & shrimp)! i do think i know who the person was the other review was speaking of, i did think it was quite unusual to have someone up front that doesn't speak to the customers at all .... not even a smile? Other than that, I would recommend this to everyone. I plan to return soon!

2 Thank meltal4758
Nashville, Tennessee
“Tell them, "Put a shine on that steak".”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I was headed home from a day on the upper Caney Fork and Rock Island when I decided that fast food was just not going to do the trick. Smithville is such a Mecca of gourmet adventures that I could not fathom where to begin my journey. OK, White Possum was the only thing popping up in the smartphone that was open on Sunday afternoon. I was not too crazy about the name as it conjured visions of a possum floating around in a pot in the kitchen. But beggars can't be choosers on Sunday in Smithville. They had not opened yet when I arrived and I had to wait outside for 30 minutes. All of this is to say that I was not your typical happy customer when I walked in.

It was easy to find, about a block off the "historic" downtown square, in an old store front.

Initial service was great. The 15oz rib eye was on sale but I was interested in the flatiron steak because it had a special marinade. So I ordered the flatiron.

The meal finally came and the vegetables were cold. But the steak was so incredible that I did not really care. After waiting about 10 minutes for the server to come back, I took the veggies to the window into the kitchen and asked the to heat them up for me. Silly as it might sound, I did not mind as the place makes you feel at home. Besides, I was too busy chomping on that steak!

My company had chicken tenders which were real, hand battered, not frozen strips of breast meat, some other chicken dish in a sauce that did not last long enough for me to get a sample, and a killer cheeseburger.

Our server came back in time to clear the table and offer something sweet. It was then, ONLY AFTER I had finished the flatiron did she bother to tell me that I could have gotten the same marinade on the rib eye. Anyway, we had homemade Oreo cookie ice cream, homemade Creme Brule ice cream, and lemon pound cake with caramel icing and honey drizzle.

The food was GREAT.

The only thing that really put me off to the place was the woman out front on the cash register. She appeared to be the owner or was at least the boss. She didn't do a blessed thing but sit on her butt and tell everyone else to run around. When I went to check out, I waited patiently for her to get off the phone. Finally she reached out and grabbed my ticket and my charge card, rang it up, handed me the receipt and and didn't bother to say, "Thank you", "Come again", "Kiss my foot", or "Get the hell out" and never once stopped chitchatting to her phone companion.

But the steak was incredible! The secret was Tennessee moonshine marinade.

May be a long time before I get back to Smithville but I will be trying my own version of that steak real soon.

Don't let the rude woman on the front register put you off, the food was really good and I say go for it. Fact is, I will try the place again if I happen to be in Smithville.

I might even asked to see the manager just to make her hang up the darn phone.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank Lee M
“Never a bad meal”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

My husband and I have visited this restaurant a bunch. Each time we try something different and we are never disappointed. They have good servers and excellent food! My favorite is the Chicken Taco Salad.

Visited June 2012