“A bit scary!”
Review of Evins Mill

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Smithville
Evins Mill
Ranked #1 of 1 Smithville B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 3, 2008

This place is a nice get-away for such a short distance from Nashville. We arrived on a Saturday afternoon for a two night stay . Upon arrival it was unclear if there was anyone to greet us as there is no reception. You must mingle about and ask for someone to help with check-in.
Our room was nice and it was very clean. Dinner that evening was really good and the service was pleasant.
We were told that because we would be the only ones staying for Sunday night, ( including 2 other singles) that they would not be serving dinner that night and would give the chef the night off. That was ok with us; but I never expected that all the staff would leave the premises by 3 pm! There were instructions to call with phone numbers in case of an emergency. This was very strange to me and a little scary . I did not feel safe at all! I doubt I will stay there again if the staff is going to leave guests to fend for themselves.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
4  Thank TazoNashville

Reviewed July 11, 2008

Detailed Review below: Our first stay at Evins Mill was for my husband's 40th birthday (January, 2006). A one night get-away for the two of us. It was January, so they weren't "full". We abosulutely loved the gourmet dinner (everything was cooked and seasoned perfectly), and the breakfast spread the next morning was just as wonderful. We thought it a bit pricey... UNTIL we experienced what we got in return. Definitely worth it! We had planned to fly to Vegas for his birthday, but it didn't work out, and we are BOTH so glad we ended up here! It was under construction for an expansion to the deck on the lodge, but it didn't cause any problems.

The second trip (January, 2007) - yep, his birthday again! Once again, we loved everything about it. It rained during our stay, so we didn't get to walk down to the falls - slippery.

Third trip (July, 2007) was for MY 40th birthday. My husband had arranged a surprise visit with my sister, her husband, and our best friends - they met us there for an overnight stay, complete with the gourmet dinner (my mouth waters thinking of it), games in the gristmill (details below), and the superb breakfast. I'm so anxious to go back! In fact, I told my husband I'm having withdrawl symptoms!

So, here's the scoop (detailed review) from my viewpoint.

The staff is incredible. Every time we've been, they seem to be there if you need them (with a smile on their face), but you never see them if you don't need them for something. I don't know how they do it, but they seem to sense what you might need & they're there - without being intrusive.

The Rooms. There are 3 cabins with 4 rooms per cabin. Each room has it's own private entrance - love it. You share a balcony / deck with the room next to you, but they have a privacy screen you can pull if you want. We've never had to pull the screen. The rooms are a little rustic, but nicely decorated. Some rooms have a bunk, although we normally don't go with kids - ours are too small to put up there anyway. The king size beds are very comfy & we've always slept well. The bathrooms are a bit small. One sink (large counter, though), and a tub/shower - but they are very clean. The rooms are a bit dark because of the panelling/rustic decor, but that's okay by me. The TV/VCRs are small. We were told on our last trip that they were planning to upgrade sometime in the future (don't know if that's happened yet or when it's scheduled). They now have refrigerators in the rooms. Very nice. Now you don't have to go to the lodge - you can bring drinks back to the room & be "stocked". No cable, satellite, etc. Again, this is perfect for us, but some might not like it. We've gotten tapes from the lodge (not a huge selection of NEW movies, but their selection is fine). I have Verizon cell service, and I'm able to make calls from the room. My husband has Virgin Mobility/ Sprint network - no service for him.

The decks have comfy rocking chairs. You can sit, listen to the waterfall, & just be completely relaxed.

Food. As I said above, the dinners are amazing. Jason, the Executive Chef, has delivered perfectly cooked & seasoned food each time we've been. He even comes out to make sure you were satisfied. The total meal - from the hors d'oeuvres an hour before dinner, to the four course meal, were all delicious... All 3 times. The breakfast, complete with omlette station, is equally wonderful. They offer biscuits, bacon/sausage, fresh pastries, fresh cut fruits, and much more - even 5 or 6 different types of fruit juices!

The Gristmill / Game Room. The last time we were there it was a little disappointing because there were a few items missing (darts, ping pong balls & game pieces), the ping pong paddles needed to be replaced, and they just needed to go through everything. They probably have by now. We still were able to play, but not all the games we would have liked to.

The waterfall is beautiful. It's a little hike to get down there, and it's very slippery if it's been raining.

We've always stayed for 1 night. It's an hour away from our house, and it's a perfect couple's get-away for us. Would love to stay longer sometime, but we have a hard time getting away for any longer. I can't recommend it highly enough, and I've told several of my friends about it. It's not your "traditional" B&B. I think it's much better because it's a lot more private.

That's my 2cent's worth!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 20, 2007

We went to Evins Mill for our 10th wedding anniversary. We were looking for something a little more secluded but this worked out nicely. We stayed 2 nights and had wonderful dinners each night and a nice spread for breakfast each morning with an "omelet bar". They are relatively close to a bunch of state parks if your looking for some exploring. They have a nice waterfall right on their property you can hike to which you can swim in the waterhole below if it's warm enough! The staff was very helpful and friendly. It's not 5 star accommodations so don't look for immaculate detail. The rooms were clean but everything else is a little rough and rustic. But, that's what were looking for! The game room has a big TV with satellite service, a pool table, ping-pong, etc. On Sundays they fire up the mill for a demonstration and tour which was really cool. I believe we will definitely go back sometime.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2006

My husband and I went to Evins Mill this past weekend and it was way above what I expected. I thought it was a little high but boy was I wrong. The dinner which was included along with breakfast, was a 5 course to die for dinner. Think encrusted tenderloin, duck, crème brule.........I just wish I could eat there every weekend. The room was nice and quiet with plenty of privacy. The hiking was nice and the falls were breathtaking. The staff was very helpfull and friendly. We will be going back in the spring.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gkpslp
A TripAdvisor Member
huntsville al.
Reviewed October 28, 2005

From the contact I had with the reservation person to the guy who helped us with our bags to the car we were treated like royalty.
I was emailed about the weather..how to dress, what foods to expect and asked about any food preferences.
I took my sister here for some much needed solitude and rest and was not disappointed.
The staff was friendly and anticipated our every need.
The surrounding were comfortable, very clean and cozy.
The meals were superb!!
The chef came around every meal to make sure everything was okay. I noticed one guy did not seem to care for the dessert selection and the chef immediately sent something else.
The cozy fire...the comfortable dining area...the immaculate room...the rocking chairs on private decks..the sound of running water had a tranquil effect on us.
I would definitely recommend for someone needed a rest.

• Stayed: October 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 7, 2005

I was expecting more from this place because the rate was so high. It is built around an historic grist mill, but many areas seem to be in decline and in need of maintenance. The guest rooms are rustic and nothing fancy. The porches are nice if you are looking to relax in a rocking chair and look at treetops. There are no televisions in the rooms, but they do have small video players, with movies available in the lodge. Stay here if you are looking for no-frills solitude. I don't think anybody mentioned to me in advance that you park your car a long way from the guest rooms and have to haul your luggage down and back up a hill. Dinner was a major dissapointment, consisting of overcooked tuna. Breakfast was better with an omelet station. The limited staff we encountered were all friendly and helpful, especially the gal in the dining room. The complimentary beverages and snacks were a nice touch. I believe the majority of their business comes from corporate lunches/meetings, but it almost seems as if they are trying to be something they are not.

• Stayed: August 2005
3  Thank Susanarl
Reviewed June 7, 2005

we stayed at evins mill for our anniversary and it was great. the room was nice and cozy the food was excellent. we woke to the smell of breakfast cooking every morning!! it was really relaxing and refreshing. also while we where there it was the fiddlers jamboree which was alot of fun to go to at night. i suggest this inn to any couple looking for a great getaway!!!
i plan on returning again.

• Stayed: July 2004
3  Thank klong
Also consider these accommodations in or near Smithville
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cookeville
#9 of 18 in Cookeville
Hampton Inn Cookeville
Hampton Inn Cookeville
#2 of 18 in Cookeville

Been to Evins Mill? Share your experiences!