“laid back luxury”

Ranked #1 of 1 Stuntney B&B and Inns
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“laid back luxury”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We stayed here whilst visiting Ely Cathedral and surrounding East Anglia. This was a bed and breakfast to die for! The Hall has been re-constructed from original jacobean brick and now provides a spectacular wedding venue and luxurious bed and breakfast stay. We treated ourselves to the Cromwell room, complete with wonderful bathroom and views to match. The bed was comfortable with quality bedlinen and pillows. On our return from our day's excursions, we were treated to tea and cake sitting in front of a massive log fire and each morning we couldn't fault the breakfast which set us up for the day! All in all, one of the best places I have stayed in the past 4 years!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2014

My husband and I spent a wonderful night in The Old Hall while we were visiting Ely and the surrounding area, and I truly regretted that we hadn't booked for longer. The room was magnificent with a very comfortable bed and pillow, the public spaces were beautifully furnished, the views were outstanding, and the breakfast was amazing. Anthony, our host was very helpful in guiding our day, rain notwithstanding. A lovely spot and highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2014

A group of 12 of us went to the New Years Eve dinner. The staff were exceptional. they were polite, delivered excellent service, leaving you feeling nothing would be too much trouble. The food was faultless (between us we had every choice available) with all the diners on our table each receiving each of the courses simultaneously, so no one was left waiting while others tucked in, which was very impressive. The wine was reasonably priced as were the bar drinks. The meal cost was very good value given the quality. The only potential issue would be the walk from the car park/taxi drop off point and the walk from the reception drinks to the dining marquee. Both required a short walk in the open, with the ladies dressed in their finessed and the gents in their DJ's - rain would of caused havoc, fortunately we had dry weather when undertaking these walks. Overall highly recommended and would certainly go again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MrandMrsICHBI
Soham, Cambridgeshire
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

We attended the New Years Eve Party at the Old Hall at Stuntney with friends ( we fancied pushing the boat out and doing something more upmarket than in previous years) Upmarket it certainly was, we were greeted on arrival with a free glass of bubbly and enjoyed looking around the reception room with a huge real log fire.
We eventually moved into the bar area where very efficient and friendly staff served us.
From here we moved to function area ( a marquee ) not like any other marquee we had been in. Beautifully decorated with double glazed sides from where in daylight you enjoy the views of Ely Cathederal, our table for eight was spacious, and the food served by the very efficient staff was fantastic ( menu choice was pretty limited and pre- ordered, but I guess it's the only way to serve a big gathering efficiently ) after the meal the dance floor was made available to the party.
Whilst the price at £66 per head could be viewed as expensive, we all felt for the quality of food, the surroundings and service received that it was good value.
There is every chance that we will be back there again next year, and would be happy to recommend the venue to anyone that is tired of the normal, and wants to experience life at the next level.

Well done the Old Hall

Stayed January 2014
2 Thank sohamboy
Ely, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Our company Christmas party for 120 guests was held at the Old Hall last week and we all agreed it was the best we have ever had. All the staff were extremely professional, yet friendly and helpful. Alex did a fantastic job in organising the whole event for us and catered for our exact needs. The food quality was excellent and presented superbly. The marquee looked just as good as the photos on their web site and the disco was great, good selection of music and great light show.

Some guests stayed overnight and enjoyed tea and cake on arrival, a comfy night in one of the sumptuous rooms and a lovely full English breakfast the next morning.

Altogether the night was almost perfect. It just didn't last long enough!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Old Hall for a wedding recently. We are local but wanted a treat, and I would most definitely recommend it! The room was spacious and yet cosy as the nights get colder, and the bathroom was literally the best bathroom I have ever been in (and I never knew I could get passionate about a bathroom!). We were looked after really well and I tried both of the breakfasts on offer (over two days I hasten to add) and can recommend them both. I have recommended the Old Hall to friends and family, local and far afield, as I just think everyone should have at least one night's experience there! I look forward to coming again for a wedding in August 2014. Thank you.

• Stayed November 2013
UK
Reviewed October 15, 2013

The Old Hall is simply wonderful !
Alex is a fantastic organiser, I met with her Early Spring to discuss my ideas. I wanted to host a dinner for my best friends and for 10 of us to stay over to celebrate my 40th birthday.
The 24th May was free , friends were able to turn up mid afternoon for wonderful tea and home made cakes, Chatting and relaxing in the hall was simply perfect.
Friends staying over were able to get ready at leisure in their rooms and from 7pm we had lovely canapes and glasses of Pimms to start the evening. (even my parents popped by for canapes) Dinner was served after 8pm and we had a delicious 2 course meal, prime rib of beef and local veg followed by a trio of desserts and a cheeseboard. Everyone remarked on how wonderful the food was and the presentation.
We retired to the hall for more drinking and chatting (including coffee and mints, not just alcohol) !!
We all found it so relaxing, this place has real charm and the owners are just superb !
Fortunately being the birthday girl , I chose to stay in the Cromwell Room, to be honest all the rooms are beautifully decorated with sumptious finishing touches you would not be disappointed.
It certainly was a memorable 40th Birthday in a stunning building and location.
I am thinking of an opportunity to return............fortunately have been invited to a wedding in Sept. 2014 ............
Thank you 'Morbey' family for making it a birthday to remember. x

Room Tip: Cromwell Room for the view and the space .