“Good home cooking”

Ranked #4 of 65 Restaurants in Shelbyville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Description: Pope's Cafe remains unchanged in the quaint country charm and good cooking that has made it a landmark in the South since its doors opened in 1947. Home made dessert and good ol' fashion country cooking make this an international destination.
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We had lunch and it was good home cooking. We told the waiter that we were going to split and the cook came out and offered to split the meal on 2 plates for us!!!!

Try the pies! Mile high meringue and fantastic!

Close early, so go for lunch!

3  Thank BBTNTravelers

Reviewed September 9, 2013

this place has been around forever home cooked meals and bes of all home made pies love it love located uptown on the square

2  Thank Kawonna L
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Food is average at best. Ordered the special--"smothered pork chop" and it was bland and tough. Vegetables were canned and unremarkable. I've visited Pope's before in 2011 and 2012 and the food was much better then. I probably won't go back.

5  Thank Debra M
Reviewed July 18, 2013

This local diner has limited hours, but definitely worth an early dinner. I missed out the first night as they close at 5:00 pm, but made it in for an early lunch on my way out of town. Not only my customer but most of the locals I spoke with at my client's business, recomended this plain, but good "meat and 2 or 3" cafe. I chose just a bowl of bean's, but the surprise was the melt in your mouth cornbread pancakes and a drink of my choice for $4.50. The meat and 2 veggies just $7. The road from the highway in this little town is block to block national food chains, drive into the heart of this town and support people who actually try to keep it from being just another chain exit.

2  Thank rioja44
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Great restaurant on the square we got the fried chicken, green beans and mashed potatoes. All the food was good the meat and 2 vegetables was less than $7.00. Don't miss this great treasure.

2  Thank John J