“Fabulous food and great service!”
Review of IvyWild

IvyWild
Ranked #3 of 12 Restaurants in Sewanee
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Description: What a surprise to discover destination dining, hidden away in the mists of Sewanee Mountain. The inventive, chef-driven menu features local farmers, foragers, and organics. BYOB. Seating from 5 to 9 PM on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
Reviewed January 20, 2014

This is hard to beat! No matter how many changes I had to make in
settingup a dinner party long distance for folks coming from great
distances, I was always help graciously. The ten in my party were thrilled
with their various entrees and starters. The lobster bisqueis uniqure and
I high li recommend. I have been at least three times and this new menu
is the best ever!

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Two couples celebrating two birthdays, One regularly travels to Europe (not me) and does experience good restaurants with good food well prepared and presented. He was duly impressed. Will not go into detail about what we all ordered but suffice to say it was all great. A few suggestions; Go online at ivywildsewanee.com and look at the menu (see prices). Decide what you plan to order in advance and bring the wine of your choice with you. Another is get directions. Although it is only about two blocks off the main highway it is not easy to recognize at night because bright neon signs they are not. Outside is not impressive but what is inside certainly is.
They are not open every night so be sure you go on the night they are open.
And incidentally, they are located in "Sewanee" the town in TN, not "Suwanee" the river or town in GA. That is what happens when you depend too much on unsophisticated spell check.

2  Thank Ron C
Reviewed October 27, 2013

IvyWild must be applauded for what they are attempting to do – bring a true 5 star restaurant into an area that is bereft of many. They are not quite there yet, but with their passionate love of food and the use of local sourcing for their food, they will be soon.

The first strike is the lack of beer, wine and cocktail service, a nice addition to a wonderful meal. They do provide set up service for those who choose to bring their own wine.

Their menu is quite limited, with only six entrees on the night I ate there. The dessert menu had only four choices.

The restaurant itself is quite small and the walls were almost completely unadorned with paintings or decoration of any type, making the atmosphere somewhat stark and cold.

On the plus side, the meal started with a one-bite tasting served on a ceramic spoon. In my case, it was a cube of ham with a fruity glaze that was quite good. A unique and thoughtful way to begin a meal, indicative I’m sure of their meticulous culinary attitude. Also, an assortment of fresh breads is offered at this time.

Even the iced tea had an interesting presentation. Unsweetened tea is brought to the table with two small pitchers – one with simple syrup for sweetening to your taste and the other with sliced lemons.

Next was a cream of artichoke soup, served in a bowl with a half grilled artichoke and basil pesto in the bottom of the bowl. The soup was poured on top of this at tableside, another interesting and unique presentation. A sorbet was served before the entrée.

The main course of pan-seared halibut was a generous portion cooked to absolute perfection. The cold rice salad and grilled artichokes were also very good.

The dessert menu reflects their desire to provide a new twist to their food. One of the choices was homemade ice cream - pound cake, strawberry and caramel apple. I tried the latter, which turned out to be quite icy, so it was a disappointment. I do congratulate them for a wonderful idea that just needs a little more fine tuning.

I do want to make one more comment on the service, which was outstanding. It was attentive without being intrusive – everything a fine restaurant should strive for.

Overall, an interesting, if pricey, dining choice. I’m quite sure, with their dedication to food excellence, they could easily become the place to go for fine dining in the area.

2  Thank rlennon47
Reviewed October 21, 2013

For our first anniversary, my wife and I traveled from our home in Chattanooga to Nashville, but on the way, we stopped for dinner in Suwanee. I had done some research, looking for something a bit beyond the usual travel grub, so I was heartened to discover IvyWild. Turns out, the restaurant was even better than I hoped. The restaurant has a wonderful menu of delicious meals: my wife had the chicken breast - juicy and flavorful - while I had the pork - incredibly tender and paired with the best grits I've ever had. The grits were, in fact, so good that my wife stole nearly half my portion. While the food is upscale, the ambiance is down to earth. In an old building, IvyWild is charming and rustic. Ultimately, the service was great: we're planning on a return for future anniversaries!

PS: Let me discuss the value real quick: if IvyWild was in a more urban location, like downtown Chattanooga, they could easily charge more for their meals. You're getting a remarkable deal here!

1  Thank Bobby D
Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband and I ate here for our 33rd wedding anniversary. We ate Caramelized Candy Onion Soup, Peaches & Pork Cornbread, Certified Hereford Beef Filet, Ancho-Rubbed Salmon, and lastly Mark Manz's Olive Oil Cake. We brought our own wine and our bill was around $100.00. The food was delicious and artfully presented. We thought the portion size very nice. The atmosphere was nothing special. The only thing I did not like were the chairs which were hard and uncomfortable. If you would like a very special experience with local elegance try IvyWild.

Been to IvyWild? Share your experiences!