“Small portions, good food, expensive.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of IvyWild

IvyWild
Ranked #3 of 12 Restaurants in Sewanee
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: What a surprise to discover destination dining, hidden away in the mists of Sewanee Mountain. The inventive, chef-driven menu features local farmers, foragers, and organics. BYOB. Seating from 5 to 9 PM on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
“Small portions, good food, expensive.”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Dinner for 2 = 130.00. Not bad in some venues, lacking at best in this one. IKEA decor, loud room, kids (?) in dining room, located in a former dry cleaners. Not. So. Much. Try something else, like Julia's.

Visited September 2012

Beaufort, South Carolina
“BYOB! Fine cuisine, beautifully presented and served”
Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

Visiting U. of the South with daughter & her 3 yr old, obviously. It the place for him, but staff was welcoming and accommodating . The food was delicious and presentation incredible. I love when the servers come out all at once with the plates, with ceremony. Although we only ordered an entree and dessert, we were treated with an appetizer and then watermelon sorbet. The local farm suppliers were posted on a chalkboard. My grandson had a pasta prepared especially for him, and the chocolate mint mousse was incredible. Warehouse building, no sign, we wouldn't have gone if we hadn't seen your reviews.

Asheville, North Carolina
“Refreshing surprise!”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

What a nice surprise for this wonderful University Village!
The cheese offerings were delicious, especially the Yellow Cheddar Reserve and the Cumberland Tomme, which buy the way had an absolutely perfectly poached pear to the side! We didn't care much for the goats milk cheese, very mild and not much flavor. I ordered an Heirloom Tomato Salad which was delicious, my husband ordered the Pea soup with crab, really delicious. Our entrees were pork, very flavorful but served a bit too cool for me and my husband ordered the lamb which was also a bit too ' room temp' for him and very rare.
We would return, although a bit expensive for food and no wine ( you must bring your own) at about $120.00 for the two of us.
Our BRAVO to the Chef for making this valiant effort for this University town that really needs an upscale restaurant!

• Visited August 2012
Florida Panhandle, Florida
“Excellent Meal in Small TN Town”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Sewanee, TN is a small town and home to University of the South--a small liberal arts college residing on a large land mass reportedly donated to the school by a Confederate general.

Ivy Wild is a unique restaurant in this small town. It is not on the main road. It is actually directly behind the Sewanee market. The building is rumored to have been a laundromat in a prior life. That may be true. The building is not ostentatious and looks like it may have been used for that purpose previously.

Despite the initial appearance, this is an excellent restaurant. It is small and reservations may be a good idea. We arrived early, about 5:30, and were the first diners for the evening.

We were not disappointed. We had the chilled pea soup with crab for an appetizer and it was delicious. I thought of trying the trout cheesecake but decided I was not up for that much culinary adventure.

There was also a tomato basil sorbet that was provided prior to the main course. It was certainly unusual and tasty. The other unexpected appetizer was a mixture of corn and mushroom that grows on corn. I admit to being unimpressed with the mixture but my wife said it was good and that I should stop thinking of a mushroom growing on corn as a fungus that cannot be eaten.

The hereford filet I had for an entree was outstanding. It was served on risotto and spinach. It was cooked medium to medium rare, seasoned to perfection and the corn risotto was outstanding.

My wife had the scallops with a gorgonzola cheese and pecan mixture. It sounds odd but tasted very good and the scallops were cooked to perfection.

We passed on the dessert but the options were unique including home made ice cream with flavors such as tomato and basil. Perhaps next time we will give it a try.

The restaurant is not inexpensive. No wine is served, perhaps because of the complex Tennessee laws regarding the sale of wine and liquor in small, rural restaurants. But, you can can bring your own bottle for a small corking fee of $3.00 per person. With food as delicious as that offered in Ivy Wild, that is not a bad deal considering the large profit margin that often accompanies wine in gourmet restaurants.

All in all, a delightful dining experience. Our bill came to just under $100 (with a decent tip for the server) so it is not inexpensive but a good experience nevertheless. It is a short drive from the Monteagle exit on I-24 and about a 20 minute drive from the highway exit. For those looking for a unique dining experience, it will be worth the drive.

• Visited August 2012
Memphis
“Unexpected and Amazing”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

A fabulous restaurant hidden away in Sewanee. Unusual menu uses local produce as well as meats and cheeses. We had appetizers and salads having just gotten out of an evening performance of the Sewanee Summer Music Festival. My heirloom tomato salad is the best that I have ever had. We received complimentary bites of many of their menu items all of which were delicious. Looking forward to a return trip!

• Visited July 2012