“Unique Riding Options, Amazing Mountain Adventure!”

Walden Creek Horseback Riding Stables
Reviewed June 30, 2013

First I would like to thank Mike, our wonderful trail guide, for a unique and wonderful experience. This was the last thing we did on our vacation and we were so thrilled to have the chance to go! We will definitely come back.

Quick review:
-The trails are beautiful with amazing views. (We went on the "Mountain Adventure", so there were steep hills, we got wet and I ran myself into a few branches.)
-The guides are friendly, funny, helpful and willing to go out of their way to make you more comfortable. Please be honest with them about any concern you have - they were very happy to help!
-The BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich was actually quite good. Worth going on the trips that include lunches.
-Spend the extra dollar on the saddle bags to bring your camera and a water bottle. And grab a few treats for your horses!
-The horses were healthy, sweet and not easily spooked. They matched horses to riders (be honest if you are a nervous rider!) and gave instructions on how to ride.
-For more experienced or adventurous riders - try the Mountain Adventure! It was a unique & beautiful experience!

More Extensive Review:
I couldn't remember the stable we went to 2 years ago, so I started going through brochures and checking out reviews. One of those led me to Walden Creek Horseback Riding Stables. I was thrilled to find out that this stable had more options than the typical hour long trail ride. While they do have that option (and I would recommend it for beginning riders, children and anyone who just wants a short trip) we were looking for a more interesting ride. Of the several options that they offered, we chose the "Mountain Adventure" trip. This was a 3 hour ride that included a lunch. I DO NOT recommend this ride for beginner riders, children or anyone who is nervous on a horse. The ride began at 9:30 and we were lucky enough to be alone (this ride normally caps at 8, but we were a group of 4).

Be warned: On the mountain adventure you may get wet, you may run into branches, you may go up & down steep hills and overall you might be slightly uncomfortable if you aren't comfortable on a horse. However - it is SO much fun! I loved having a different kind of ride! The pace was still slow & comfortable, while still being more exciting than any other trail ride I've been on. Two of us have been on many trail rides, the other two were more beginners. Our guide helped all of us be more comfortable. He went out of his way to help one of our riders who was having trouble with her horse. (She actually had a bad trail experience in the past, but told me that this one was amazing and left her feeling more confident & comfortable on a horse!)

The food was surprisingly good and the bathrooms at the "rest stop" had plumbing! I recommend getting the treats at the counter and the saddlebags. We all enjoyed bringing our cameras, water bottles and treats for the horses. Overall we had an amazing experience. Definitely try their different trail options!

P.S. The guides are totally willing to take your pictures! Just let them know! And don't forget to bring money to tip them - they will definitely earn it :)

2  Thank Brittany M

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We had 5 kids under the age of 12. 2 girls age 6 had never ridden before by themselves, so we were all a bit nervous. They had an easy ride that the kids could do, an hour long. We went through creeks and were in the forest. It was beautiful and very reasonably priced!

1  Thank kidtripschicago_IL
Reviewed June 25, 2013

My girls, 9 and 6, and I had a really great time at Walden Creek. Our guide, Brandy, was really great with my girls and provided us with a great experience for some less than experienced horse riders :)

I would definitely recommend Walden Creek Horseback Riding Stables.

1  Thank Tricia B
Reviewed June 20, 2013

They have the friendliest guides around. We have ridden in 5 area stables including; Cades Cove, Davie Crockett, Deer Farm, Next to Heaven, and Walden's Creek. We came last year and enjoyed it so much that we came back this year. We decided to try some new stables this year, but after having a very bad experience at Davie Crockett and a very dangerous one, we decided to go back to Walden's Creek because my daughters best friend came with us this year and we wanted her to have a great first time experience since Davie was a very bad one. We loved Walden's last year so we tried it again this year and are still very pleased. The scenery was great, rode through several creeks, the guides were kind and patient, and the horses were well loved and taken care of. My 13 year old daughter loves horseback riding and palomino horses. They had a palomino horse and upon her request, let her ride on it. I wish we would have done a half day ride with them and not worried about any other. Thanks Walden's Creek for allowing us to make some great memories with my girls.

3  Thank my2now1
Reviewed June 18, 2013

As always the staff was amazing and super friendly. My daughter is 6 so she was in her own horse-- the guide made sure to show her basics with the reins, etc and even let her lead the trail ride for a bit. My 3yr old was abke to "double up" and ride with his father for a minimal fee too. The horses were great too, even though storms were headed to the area they stayed nice and calm.

1  Thank Lindsay W