“OLD SCHOOL DINER ALL THE WAY!!”
Review of The Diner

The Diner
Ranked #23 of 187 Restaurants in Sevierville
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch
Description: “One of a kind, locally owned, All American DINER”Timeless All American Great Food/Desserts/Poodle Skirts/JukeboxFood For Everyone in Your Party/Your Dessert DestinationGreat Fresh Salads, Tenders, Wings, AppetizersSteaks, Chicken Breast, Liver & Onions, Chicken & Dumplin’s, Meat Loaf, Chicken Pie, Spaghetti, More 20 Diff. Sandwiches, Club, Reuben (our own whole brisket, thin sliced), Bologna, Dagwood, Hot Dogs Loaded, Philly Cheese,etc.9 Children’s meals w/free drink, Fresh Char-Grilled to order Lean Beef, Elk, Bison, Turkey & Veggie Burgers*****THE DINER is Your Dessert Destination*****Best ever Milkshakes, Banana Splits, 8 homemade Pies & Cheesecakes, Tennessee Turtle, more.Breakfasts served all day.Great Pancakes & Waffles, Best Omelets, French Toast, Breakfast Skillets, Eggs to Order, Swaggerty Sausage, Thick-Cut Applewood Smoked Bacon.
“OLD SCHOOL DINER ALL THE WAY!!”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Family and I have stopped into the Diner on a few occasions. The music is great....the service is excellent.....the food is terrific!! The prices are great! I would recommend this eating establishment to anyone visiting or local!

HowardOnHwy66, Owner at The Diner, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Thanks a gazillion. For posting and for dining with us. You are appreciated. No shortcuts because of you and wanting to serve you as we want to be served ourselves. Traditional food as almost everyone wants it served (we recognize every single customer has unique tastes/preferences). That extensive menu is that way so you all can choose what you like. Always let us know, we'll do our best to comply. Thanks again.

Anderson, South Carolina
“Great Place !!!”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Great Diner food...we had Burgers, Patty Melt on Rye, Breakfast ,along with Malts and Milkshakes ! The waitresses were friendly and wear proper 50's attire ! We came one evening just for the Ice cream and decided we would eat here on our way out of town...we were not disappointed either time !! Didn't get the ladies name running the registar but she was so friendly and genuine ! They offer homemade deserts as well. The decor was brilliant and on the money ( not cheap) ! Will stop there again someday!!! PS..they even bring you the metal shake cup with the remainder of your shake in it just like the good old days !!!!

HowardOnHwy66, Owner at The Diner, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
We love serving you and your family. You are special and we can tell a lot about you by your picture with those young ones you love. We are thankful we can be here to serve all of you. We take no shortcuts because of you and work hard every day to maintain exactly that. The Burger is 81-19 Angus (or pure Elk or Buffalo or Turkey or Veggie) char-grilled fresh for you. Thanks again and if you need something different or have a comment, let us know on the spot, we will do our best to serve what you and your family need.
“Great place!!!”
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

I loved the food, people, & atmosphere! Our waitress Katie was great, and the prices were very reasonable!

HowardOnHwy66, Owner at The Diner, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to post. This is what I hear day in & day out, is consistent with our goals, operating standards, food quality & pricing. We appreciate that honest, direct feedback when you are in and here on trip advisor. SuzyQ and I plus everyone at THE DINER are mere mortals and can overcook a burger or egg or forget something so we want to know to take care of such things on the spot.
Thanks again, we look forward to serving you again.
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Step Back In Time”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Went for breakfast. Good variety and fairly priced. Food was very good as was the service. One of the owners was from our home state (almost the home TOWN!). We had a fun time. Will go there again when in the area.

Visited August 2013
HowardOnHwy66, Owner at The Diner, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
We appreciate your time to post and for dining with us. No shortcuts here, we strive to deliver great, quality food at a fair price. Say hello next time you are in. Isn't it great to live in east TN/USA? We are surely blessed.
Thanks again, we look forward to serving.
Sevierville, Tennessee
“Average”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My family and I just moved to Sevierville. We have been making a point to try out different restaurants In the area and The Diner was on our list. The outside of this diner looks really fun and we were anxious to try it out. When we arrived, we were asked how many in our party, I replied four, then turned to tend to my child. The woman at the front had left when I turned back and after looking around, I realized she had grabbed some menus and was walking to a table. OK, I don't need to be told "right this way", no biggie. We were seated away from everyone else in a corner. Weird, but fine. We waited about 10 minutes for our server to get our drink order. My kids ordered milk shakes. We waited another 15 minutes for those to arrive and to order our food. Another 20-25 minutes and our food arrived. We were hoping for a quick meal because we had other plans...not the case. The food, while plentiful, was sub par at best. My husband's steak was dry and tasteless, my son's pancakes were over cooked and he only ate three bites. My meal was way too salty to enjoy. The waitress noticed my drink was empty and said she would be right back for a refill but, never returned until another 15 minutes had passed and she gave us our check. Now, I always leave a tip, the amount will vary depending on service. In this case I did not leave the standard 15-20% that I normally would. With that said, our bill was still over $60! Yes, for a "family" restaurant. Upon paying, the woman who checked us out disputed the amount with our waitress. It was fixed, in their favor not mine. She was not a pleasant woman and did not leave the best impression on the way in or out. If the food had been fantastic, we would probably come back. In this case, the wait was horribly long and the food did not meet our expectations. We won't be back unfortunately.

2 Thank mamaofAandR
HowardOnHwy66, Owner at The Diner, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
First of all thank you for reporting. If someone honestly has such an experience, which to the best of my knowledge is very unusual, we need to hear it, we are thankful to hear your honest comments.
Before I reviewed our systems I assumed you were exaggerating (people have been known to do such things for a variety of reasons) but I know now that what you wrote was honest and pretty much correct.
We’re sorry to disappoint. We reviewed our systems to see why your service was so disappointing and found the answers we needed. Your server and the two cooks on duty that night normally do a great job, all are experienced, conscientious and capable but I agree you received horrible service. Your server is super conscientious and attentive to customers almost every time. Our distribution of customers when you were in had her spread too thin and she apparently did forget her refill commitment. Other table actions needed should have prompted the manager & other front end staff to pitch in to help the server to deliver the service you needed. We have taken corrective actions.
The worst thing was that our normal process of taking your food order with your milkshake order at the same time was not done so the time it takes to hand dip/make our great milkshakes for your family extended your wait even more.
There is no excuse for the time it took to prepare your food, much longer than our normal (2-2.5 times longer for the food you ordered). That will not happen again here. Also if food is not as it should be, please tell the manager immediately. No doubt in my mind your son’s pancakes sat on the grill or in the window too long.
As for the saltiness of your open face turkey (the gravy is the issue) we serve food and products as the vast majority of our customers prefer. The Turkey is of high quality and the mashed potatoes are real. Here in the SE, our turkey gravy recipe is how most have wanted it. Tastes however are changing including people’s expectations on salt. Without fanfare over the past few years we have changed many recipes to make them better for us all. This recipe had not changed in 10 years. Generally speaking we under salt most everything…..soups, sides, are low or no salt; we don’t even salt our French Fries. For people who prefer more salt, they can add more at the table. Actually the brown gravy has much less salt, our baked beans and soup beans are both vegetarian and low salt, and even our grits have minimal salt. All of our meats have relatively low or no salt. Except for sausage, there is no MSG in the DINER in anything, even in salad dressings. On your salad you can choose extra virgin olive oil with Balsamic or from three other flavored vinegars.
In burgers we offer really good Buffalo & Elk burgers are very low in fat & cholesterol and our turkey burger has the lowest level of sodium that we can buy. In other words you can eat healthy and low salt here at THE DINER if you want to.
So …in summary: We are working on a recipe change for our turkey gravy and are retraining our servers regarding orders in before milkshakes.
We are making cooking changes so we can be certain the issues you had with steak & pancakes does not reoccur. Our sirloin is lean and medium well and well done can push it toward the dry side for my taste. We will review the steaks we serve looking for a better answer. We cut our own rib eyes and beef tips, not our sirloin. If we cannot serve a good sirloin we will make a change or drop that item.
If you change your mind and decide to give us another chance I will comp the $48.40 you spent on food, beverages and milkshakes/dessert for your family of four. I do ask that if something is not right that you let us know right then and give us the chance to make it right for you on the spot.
Howard or SuzQ will be happy to speak to you about any of this. Thanks again for the input. You may or may not believe it but we really do appreciate hearing from you.