“Worth It!”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

We found this place on TripAdvisor and knew we had to give it a try. It was a bit of a drive out of Sevierville and felt like the middle of nowhere, but we didn't mind. When you get there, It doesn't look like much but don't let it fool you. We parked and walked right in to find out how it all works. It was chilly when we were there so it wasn't busy, which was really nice to have pretty much full attention of the entire place.

First we fished in the pond they have on site. The guys helping were friendly and patient. Both of the kids quickly caught a fish, good sized ones too, and posed for photos. Then we went in the front part of the restaurant and ordered our meals, 4 trout platters (Mac and cheese, coleslaw, and fries among us for sides) and a kids chicken strips. The lady who took our orders was extremely friendly and since we also wanted to gem mine, she told us to go do that and she would start preparing our food so that it was ready when we were done.

The gem mine was really neat for the kids too. We have a 6 and 4 year old and we got the 2 gallon bucket. The guy helping us showed us how to do it and checked on us a few times to make sure we were fine. The kids had a blast and each got a huge bag full of gems. They were so excited and said it was the best part of their day.

After mining we washed up in the restrooms and went into the small dining area in the back. We immediately had our drinks and a bowl full of hot hush puppies. They were delicious! We browsed around the dining area and read a bit about the owners and restaurant. Our meal came out pretty quickly, smelling and looking great. The lady who took our order served us and made sure we had all we needed. The owner also helped serve us and visited with us, answering our questions and telling us some stories. We had a slight error in our order and they immediately took care of it. The trout was fantastic, we tried all three-blackened, fried, and lemon pepper and all agreed the blackened was the best. The coleslaw was also good as was the Mac and cheese. Our kids were pleased with their chicken too. The food was hot and fresh and we were very happy from start to finish.

The prices are higher but we felt worth it for the great experience we had. We will definitely recommend this for our friends and visit again.

1  Thank asbs44
There are newer reviews for English Mountain Trout Farm & Grill

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I took my family here after visiting Forbidden Caverns, we came for the Gem mining and decided to have some fresh trout for lunch, and it was unbelievable, some of the best fish I have ever had. The place may look a little old,but the staff was great and very friendly. The few bad reviews on this site sound like people that were looking for something totally different, this is not a chain restaurant with tv's and music, you eat at a picnic table beside the pond and the guy who serves you maybe the same guy that helps you mine for gems, but the food speaks for itself.

1  Thank DrewAugusta
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Based on reviews on here, we decided to give this place a try. When we pulled in, I admit I was a little worried. I couldn't have been more wrong. My husband and I let our two boys fish and they had a blast. Had two of our fish fried and one blackened, delicious! Cole slaw was fantastic and the hush puppies were the best I have ever eaten. I'm pretty sure that I ate 90% of them. Owners and workers were super friendly and helpful. I felt like we were at an old friends house. Very welcoming folks. The owner talked football with my boys and was very encouraging. My youngest was loving up on the dog (chief lazy bones) and the cat. Awesome experience and great food and people. Would definitely go back, best food we had while visiting that area.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Six of us went there for lunch because it was rated so high on trip advisor and it was great. It doesn't look like much on the outside but it is a winner. The trout was caught and cooked on the spot and was delicious. One of our guest had the catfish and he said was really great, too. The owners cook the meals and they are very friendly.

A bit of a drive and they only take cash - no credit cards. Will go back....

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We have stopped at English Mountain Trout Farm & Grill 5 years in a row and enjoy it every time. Very friendly and clean enviroment. Any age can enjoy this experience.
Great family run business makes you feel welcome. Quite relax and scenic.
No license needed or fishing pole. They clean them right away offering two ways to eat.
They cook the trout after you catch them and serve it right to you. Refills on drinks are always offered.
You can also have them pack the trout in ice and take more home for dinner.
Excellent service and very informative about the area.
Can't wait to stop back, see you next year.
Mike and June from Ohio!