“Great Little Museum”

Tennessee Museum of Aviation
Ranked #23 of 88 things to do in Sevierville
More attraction details
Owner description: The Tennessee Museum of Aviation is an independently operated non-profit 501(c)(3) foundation dedicated to preserving aviation history, maintaining and exhibiting historical aircraft, advancing aviation education, and to honoring those who have made extraordinary contributions to aviation and aerospace. The Tennessee Museum of Aviation opened in Sevierville on 12/15/2001. The 50,000 sq ft facility is located beside the runway of the Gatlinburg-Pigeon Forge Airport (KGKT). Airworthy "Warbirds" are the foundation of our collection, making this a very unique location for visitors to enjoy unscheduled flight demonstrations. Docents are available to assist visitors on a leisurely walk through our 35,000 sq ft hangar, observing a variety of magnificently restored Warbirds and offering a glimpse at some future projects waiting for restoration. We are a "living" museum, therefore our exhibits and aircraft change frequently. Browse the museum's air-conditioned exhibit gallery. A 52 foot "Wave Wall" not only traces aviation history from before the Wright Brothers, it includes the timelines of Military Aviation History and Tennessee Aviation History.
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Lots of good history on display as well as an entire hangar with planes--some actually can be enjoyed "hands-on." Reasonable admission charge!!

1  Thank Lee P
There are newer reviews for Tennessee Museum of Aviation

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I figured there would have been more planes. There were no really old planes or really new planes; just average.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

My husband and boys are big aircraft fans. I found a coupon for $2 off per person which helped the overall cost. It was $37 for our family of four with coupon- 2 adults, 2 kids to get in. The first area has glass displays of photographs, uniforms, flight equipment, etc to look through - very nice collection - some people could spend hours looking through - but kids just wanted to see the planes. We got inside the hanger where they have jeeps, planes, helicopters, old cars, etc to walk around. There is one small plane that you can get into with an attendant. Otherwise it is walking around and looking on your own. I would guess they have 30 or so pieces to look at. My family enjoyed it, but I don't think we would go back -not enough to keep them entertained for the money. We have been to the air museum in Dayton, Ohio which was free and 4 times the size. That is a tough act to follow. They do have a gift shop which of course my kids and husband all found something to buy.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

This aviation museum is quite interesting. Prior to entering the hanger, there are many exhibits with artifacts from all the wars starting with WWI. There are also exhibits showing wright flyer models. There is a variety of planes including migs, helicopters, P-47's, halftracks, and a variety of aircraft engines

Reviewed September 29, 2013

With this attraction being a bit off the beaten path, I wasn't expecting to find it so well-done.

Was I ever wrong. There are wonderful well-done exhibits that are well-cared for and maintained.

We were guided through by a very knowledgeable member of the staff who was able to answer all questions posed to him.

I'm not sure if it happens all the time, but several members of our group were able to try out sitting in the cockpit of one of the fighter planes - a fun experience!

The price was average for the area and the souvenirs were some of the lowest priced in town!

Overall an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon.