“Let down, not what I was hoping for...”

Foxfire Mountain Swinging Bridge
Ranked #21 of 85 things to do in Sevierville
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience the longest swinging bridge in the United States and hike along Prosperity Mountain to beautiful Lost Mine Falls. The hour self guided tour begins at base camp at Foxfire Mountain then crosses 70 feet above Little Pigeon River on the 350' swinging bridge to Prosperity Mountain where you may hang your wish,(wishing strips provided, to blow in the winds of Prosperity Mountain.
Roanoke, Virginia
148 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 128 helpful votes
“Let down, not what I was hoping for...”
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

Not hard to find with a GPS. When pulling in first impression is everything looks unfinished, half done, homemade, ect....the place is under construction. Didn't know where to park, didn't know where the entrance was with all the construction. Arrived at 3, saw online they were open til 630 but when we came in to the main office/lobby was greeted but told they closed in less than an hour. So we only did the bridge. The bridge was nice but the grounds are someone's actual house and property. I think there is potential here but its just not ready in my personal opinion. Walkways are not secure in spots, stepping stones were loose and unfinished in spots. We didn't make it to the waterfall since we felt rushed so I can't speak of it, but we were told it was a 30 minute hike from the bridge and it was steep in spots. I can't recommend the place yet but maybe in a year or two may come back and see if its more of a finished, professional attraction and not so unfinished, half done attraction.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank klay36

Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Interesting but expensive outing”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

While I have to admit our large group shared a lot of laughs while hiking around the grounds, the cost of admission is far too high for the activity. Basically, what you get is a quirky little self-guided hike to a waterfall that may or may not be "falling". Depends on what time of the year you go. In December, no waterfall running. The rope swing bridge was neat to see and I felt safe crossing it. The grounds prior to crossing the bridge were creatively decorated and definitely sparked conversation. Still, it is most definitely a tourist trap and at far too expensive a price for the thrill, considering the zip lining is an extra cost over and above the hike and bridge crossing.
Cute place. My advice to owners? Lower admission price should be in their business plan for 2014.

Visited December 2013
5 Thank PigeonHoled13
Livonia, Michigan
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“very cool”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

My wife and I loved this. Great hike. Swinging bridge was long and awesome. There was a tree house rope course at the other end then a great hike to a waterfall. The waterfall was not falling since it was Dec. when we were there. The "blessing" strips were great in the covered bridge. The "outhouse" modern toilets were funny. Using the provided walking sticks was helpful and buying the ones we used were fun. There were some farm animals that roamed the "grounds". As we were hiking, several times we saw people "ziplinging" through the canaopy of the trees, which is a part of the facitily. We would go back in the summer to see the waterfall and I might be convinced to try and put away my little girl fear, I am male 61, of heights and try the ziplines.

Visited December 2013
3 Thank Jimmy W
Canton, Georgia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Overpriced for little thrill”
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

It was $32 for one adult and two children. In addition they ask for donations as part of making a wish. The place is pretty and unique but way to expensive. The bridge, stacking rocks, and the wishes takes total maybe 30 minutes to do.
Tourist trap and we fell in.
We did not zip line so I cannot comment on that.
The hike was really steep and high up. If you are afraid of heights, or not into hiking I would say avoid it. It had been raining the day before we got here and the trails were very muddy and my daughter fell about three feet into walking the river trail and that was it.

1 Thank chewyfamily
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Pretty but not anything exciting.”
Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

I bought the Groupon for the swinging bridge "tour" for 15 for two people but admission is usually double. I thought this was a good deal until I found out you are really paying to hike in the woods. It is NOT guided but they do give you a map. The main swinging bridge goes over a small river or large stream and is the longest in North America. It is safe as it was only built in 2010 and holds 24,000 lbs. There are some other bridges in the tree canopies in one area and a small covered bridge to hang "wishes" on (there are tags in the small museum/info center you can write your wishes on). What was neat was that it looked like they have never taken down a "wish" so the ceiling of the covered bridge was full of rainbow color tags and it was cool to see what others had wished for. At this same place, there are walking sticks available for use on the hike (you can buy one later if you want too) and I HIGHLY recommend taking one as the rest of the trail is steep (think two small mountains) to the waterfall area. Disappointingly, the waterfall is turned off (they pump it) in winter even though it rarely freezes there and was over 70° that day and that is why I don't really feel this was worth even the discounted Groupon rate as next to the swinging bridge (which is right at the beginning of the hike), the waterfall is the main attraction and really the only one worth the rest of the hike up the mountain. The scenery was beautiful and the trail well maintained but it is very steep in two locations...the first steep climb is long...and there are no railings but many places where the trail edge is a sheer drop off/cliff edge. The hike is1/2 mile to the waterfall and back for a total of just a mile but you still need to be in good shape and have proper foot wear. The small museum/info center was neat and had some history involved but my kids weren't really interested in that but I did see that Annie Oakley's husband owned an old iron furnace that used to be on this site. They also offer zip lining but it was expensive compared to others in the area. They have a gift shop and animals on site: a rooster and three friendly lovable dogs you can meet and greet. They also have a barbecue restaurant that was not open in December and a treehouse that looks neat but you can't go into it. I would only spend the money if the National Park is too busy and crowded.