“Great stay!”

Resort at Governor's Crossing
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Sevierville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed here for a long weekend just before Christmas 2012. We loved it! The room (one bedroom suite with fireplace) was spacious and perfect for our family. Everything was very clean. Our children loved the indoor water park. The water park attendants were very friendly and attentive. Check-in and check-out were a breeze with Sally and Crystal. There were many restaurants within walking distance, and all the attractions of the area were within minutes. We would definitely stay here again if in the area!

Room Tip: If you have young children, the one-bedroom suite will offer some extra room for them to be able to...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
THeResort, Guest Relations Manager at Resort at Governor's Crossing, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Our one bedroom suites with the fireplace are very popular during the colder months of the year because our guests love to curl up on the couch in front of the fireplace after a long day of shopping at the outlets that are right next door. Our indoor water park is usually a big hit with the kids, so I am glad that yours enjoyed it as well. I will be sure to let Sally and Crystal know that they were a positive aspect of your check in process. All of our employees at The Resort at Governors Crossing try their best to make every guest’s stay enjoyable. We hope to see you again soon!

There are newer reviews for Resort at Governor's Crossing

Reviewed January 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed here over the New Year's Holiday. What I loved most is the convenience; very close to Pigeon Forge (Dixie Stampede) and 30 minutes from Gatlinburg (Bubba Gump Shrimp Co). We had a room that wasn't anything special (no balcony, no jacuzzi, etc.), which was perfect bc we were hardly there. Although, we were unhappy with our room location. We shared an entrance with a room with 2 young children; we heard them screaming, laughing, running, etc. at the butt crack of dawn, which was not relaxing (but a good source to remind us that we do not want children for a very long time!) We spent some time at the indoor pool, that was fun! After about 30 minutes of settling in our room, room service called to make sure we were happy with everything; the room was 78 degrees and there was a light bulb out in the bathroom, but that was fixed minutes after getting off the phone. Even though this isn't the place we want to continue our family traditions in, it is a great place for a quick, in and out, stay!

Room Tip: Do not choose a room that shares an entrance!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bri J

Thank you for your review. We are so glad that you chose to spend your new year with us! We are located in a great area that is close enough to all of the shows and attractions, but still far enough away from the hustle and bustle of the parkway. We do have other room types available that do not share an entrance with any other rooms. Just mention it when you make your next reservation so that we can make sure to get you exactly what you want. I am very proud to hear that the minor issues you experienced were resolved in a timely manner. We hope that you will stay at The Resort at Governors Crossing again soon.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

We had a 2-night holiday week stay at this resort. The resort was very busy. White we enjoyed the stay, it was not without issue and there are some things that could easily take this resort from a 3* to a 4* property.

Our unit was clean, mostly quiet (we could hear the air hockey table in the game room at the end of the hall a few feet away, no big deal), the beds and pillows were comfortable, and the heat/air was easily controlled. My parents even proclaimed the sleeper sofa to be comfortable. The appliances worked well, the TVs worked well and we had a good selection of channels. And thank you for the plethora of open electrical outlets to choose from -- there were many places to charge our cameras and iThings.

The resort is in a FABULOUS location just minutes from the "back way" to Dollywood. There is an Applebee's immediately to one side, and a winery to the other. The Texas Roadhouse, Fuddruckers, and Roaming Gnome are just across the road in the shopping center. Mr. Gatti's pizza buffet and TGI Friday's are in the same center but a little further away. And Wal-Mart and Chick-fil-A are at the traffic light. One light over is the most popular outlet mall in Sevierville with many many shops, a Starbucks, and a lot more restaurants. So you can't beat the location!

We had a one-bedroom handicapped accessible unit, although I'm not sure what set apart this unit from others that were non-accessible. There were higher and lower peep holes in the door, grab bars around the toilet, and grab bars in the bathtub. But the tub was a standard high-sided jetted tub, so anyone with mobility issues would not be able to use it without a shower chair to get them into an out of the tub, and one was not provided in the suite (We have stayed in HA hotel rooms/suites with standard tubs where these were provided). The bathroom sink was a standard vanity with a cabinet underneath and not a roll-under sink. The bathroom also housed a stacked washer & dryer, which would not have been of use to someone in a wheelchair unless they were able to stand to get things into and out of the dryer. The kitchen was similarly not very wheelchair friendly, although the medium-sized fridge meant the freezer was accessible to someone who uses a chair. The bedroom with two full-size beds did not provide much space for maneuvering a wheelchair around/between the beds or the wall. So if you need a HA suite, keep these issues in mind and ask if they have any units with a roll-in shower if you need something of that nature.

The resort had a nice outdoor pool area (it was December and snowy, so we didn't use that), and a nice indoor pool area with water slides, deeper pool, shallow kids' pool, a kids' splash zone, a hot tub, and a dry sauna (my favorite part!). My 7-yo niece loved the slides and did them over and over and over. Other guests played basketball in the pool, and the hot tub overflowed with adults trying to stay warm since the air was chilly inside the pool area. The pool attendant, who really seemed to enjoy his job, kept the place stocked with clean (but greying, ick) pool towels for everyone to dry off with and help keep warm.

Despite the niceness of the resort, there were several issues I felt keep it solidly in the 3* hotel category when it could easily be a 4* resort property.

Parking was an issue with cars double parked, parked in the grass, and at businesses next door.

Internet is awful - even worse during the day when many guests are using it. As a travel agent, I need to work five minutes here and there even when I'm on vacation. So reliable hotel internet is important to me.

Our one-bedroom suite had a large single bath that housed the tub, toilet, sink, and washer/dryer. While the large space was nice, it was an annoyance for a large mixed-generation family to have all those things in a single room, thus tying up all the fixtures if a person was using any one of them. We prefer units with separate toilets, and a sink outside the toilet & tub. I have no idea if all the condos here have this particular layout, or if it's just a feature of the handicapped suite.

While our suite had a full kitchen, it was not well-stocked. There were no potholders, no sheet pan or cookie sheet or pizza pan, no utensils such as a spatula, wooden knife, slotted spoon, tongs, spreader, pizza cutter, etc. I don't know if this is standard for all units, or if they were simply missing from ours. The two "sharp" knives we had were very dull and not well suited for cutting our take-n-bake Wal-Mart pizzas (baked to perfection in our oven).

Bath towels were on the small side and thin, and not quite as white or as soft as they could be. Soaps were what I'd call "single use" and not really suitable for extended stay accommodations. The bath-sized soap bar almost lasted two showers before it was so thin it fell apart. I would expect to see these in a Motel 6 or other Interstate motel where you check in for one night only, not in a "luxury" resort.

We did not like the sliding pocket doors to the bathroom or to the bedroom. Neither of our doors slid easily (time for some WD-40, perhaps?), they were difficult to grab and pull from either side, and neither of the locks actually latched, which was an issue with the bathroom for us.

Would I stay here again? I would. We thought the price was fair and the location is really convenient. But now that I know some of the resort's shortcomings, I would pack some extra things from home (like kitchen supplies and better bath soap) to make the visit a little more comfortable.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am very glad that you took advantage of all of the great restaurants and shopping areas nearby. Our location is one of our biggest selling points to our guests. Our handicapped units are different than our standard rooms in that the cabinets and countertops are lower and there are bars in the tubs. The next time you come you should look at one of our two or three bedroom suites. They have a different lay out than the one bedroom units that some guests seem to enjoy more and might have been a better fit for your family as well. Thank you for all of your suggestions they are definitely appreciated. We look forward to seeing you again soon here at The Resort at Governors Crossing.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

The condo we stayed in was spacious and clean. The indoor water park has 2 slides, a kids play area and a large pool with a basketball goal. There is an attendant on duty in the park area. Our kids very much enjoyed this amenity. There is an outdoor water area also with a nice playground nearby. The resort is very close to shopping and dining.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
THeResort, Internet marketing at Resort at Governor's Crossing, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at The Resort at Governor’s Crossing. Many families, especially ones with children, have come to appreciate our indoor and outdoor waterparks. Each year we try to add amenities to The Resort, like the pirate ship playground area and the new toddler splash & play area that was added this year.
We thank you for having stayed with us and look forward to the opportunity of having you as our guest in the future.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

We have stayed here every year for the last four years. It has a great location, and we have always been happy with everything. This time we were not. On our third night, we came back from a long day of shopping, to find no toilet paper, overflowing trash, and no clean towels. I called the front desk and was told they would be brought up. Since it was now a hour later and 11 pm, I called the front desk again and was told that it would be a while for them to be delivered, but I could come down and get them. I did not want to go get them in my pj's, but I really just wanted to go to sleep and not wait up. I went down to find another person complaining about the same thing. We were told that we were accidently missed. What a coincidence that we were both on different floors and happened to be at the front desk at the same time. I told the front desk about this the next morning when checking out. All she said was that she was sorry and would pass the information along. I really expected some kind of compensation for the problem. Maybe they should consider a gift card or something or a more heartfelt apology. We also had to make four trips to and from our vehicle when checking out, since there were no carts. In the four days we were there, I never saw more than two carts in the lobby. Invest in more carts please.

Room Tip: We asked for a city view, but instead got a Walmart view. Be specific when requesting a view.
1  Thank cindy h

Thank you for being a frequent guest of The Resort at Governor’s Crossing and for bringing the issue you experienced to our attention. We are looking into why your unit and the other guest you mentioned did not receive service on the day in question, I apologize for this. With you having stayed in the past and the situation occurring on the 3rd night of this stay, you realize this is not a normal occurrence. We will take every step to rectify this problem. Above all, we take pride in providing clean, safe, and comfortable accommodations for our guests.
Regarding luggage carts, we have 14 luggage carts here at The Resort (one cart per every eleven units, many properties average as few as 1 per 20 units). Our biggest problem is that guests use them and leave them in their room during their stay even though they are asked to return them when finished moving their belongings. We have explored many ways to resolve this problem, but to date have been unable to come up with a clear and fair solution.
Again, we sincerely apologize to you for the issues regarding service to your unit on the day in question.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

We have used the resort many times for a base for our family vacations. We in joy it for the many services they have. The pool and hot tub areas are our favorite and they are always clean. We also like the fact they have full kitchens as we have children and can save on a few meals. The rooms are always clean and the staff is helpful.

Dave

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
THeResort, Internet marketing at Resort at Governor's Crossing, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2012

Thank you for being a frequent guest here at The Resort at Governor’s Crossing and for posting your comments on Trip Advisor. For families with children our full kitchens have been popular for the exact reason you stated; one can save a little on meals instead of dinning out the whole time while on vacation.
Our goal is to always provide our guests with clean, safe, comfortable accommodations in a friendly atmosphere. If we do that we have many guests like you who keep coming back again and again. We again thank you.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

We were planning on staying 2 night because my husband's grandmother passed away, and we would be close for the funeral. We had just settled in with our 2 small children. I was in one bed with my daughter. My husband was in the other with my son. I had just dozed off when my husband jumped up, turned the light on, and said we are leaving. The bed was covered in bed bugs. It was disgusting, and there was my baby in that mess. We all jumped up, took showers, and left--at 12:30 am. The front desk could not getting touch with management to refund our money. We are driving 2 hours home in the middle of the night to begin washing clothes and praying we do not take these in to our home.

• Stayed: December 2012
6  Thank Pleasebeclean
THeResort, Internet marketing at Resort at Governor's Crossing, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2012

We apologize for this unfortunate situation; I realize that the manager has been in contact with you to follow up. The Resort at Governor’s Crossing has been very fortunate in not having situations like this, as these situations have been a plague to the lodging industry in recent years. We are currently investigating this incident and the appropriate measures to eradicate any problems are being taken. Rest assured that this is an isolated occurrence.
The Resort at Governor’s Crossing takes pride in providing clean, safe and comfortable accommodations for our guests. We will take every step to continue to provide the quality of service our guests have come to expect and enjoy.
Again, our sincere apologies to you and your family for this recent situation.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sevierville
Clarion Inn Willow River
Comfort Inn Apple Valley
Comfort Inn Apple Valley
#3 of 20 in Sevierville
Baymont Inn & Suites Sevierville Pigeon Forge

Been to Resort at Governor's Crossing? Share your experiences!