“Nice Resort in the Smokies”

Wyndham Smoky Mountains
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ohio
“Nice Resort in the Smokies”
Reviewed November 11, 2008

We stayed here over Labor Day weekend. Though I was very turned off by the touristy and a hokieness of the cities around the Smoky Mountains, I thought this resort was pretty nice. I liked the appearance of the buildings, outdoorsy and rustic. Our room was very clean. I do wish there were more grills. Also, I wasn't very impressed with the pool(s). They do have indoor and outdoor pools, but the outdoor pool on the side we were staying on was not very big. This was not the resort's fault, but some kid dropped a turd in the pool, so it was sanctioned for 2 days! I would say this resort is very kid friendly, they had putt-putt, and this mini "water-park" section with funnels, etc which kids could run through. I think they had more activities for kids as well. Wal-Mart is very close, which is convenient to people who are staying in a timeshare.

We spent one day driving around and through the Smokies and one day at the Biltmore Mansion in Asheville, NC. Although I'd like to incur bodily harm to the person who decided to put a stoplight every 3 seconds on the main road, the front desk is helpful in directing you a quicker way to your destination. If you are planning on driving to this resort (or any resort in the Smokies area), I would recommend arriving and leaving in the middle of the night. It took us around 1 hour to get from our resort to the main highway to go home on Labor Day. If you are coming or going on a day that is not so "travel-heavy", like the middle of the week, you might be fine.

We own with Wyndham and we love the system Wyndham has to offer.

• Liked — Coziness.
  • Disliked — Would have liked a larger pool.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank nrosebr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Zephyrhills, FL
Reviewed October 6, 2008

We just returned from a week's visit and stayed at the Wyndham. The resort is excellent and we were very pleased with our stay. We stayed in a one-bedroom deluxe and asked for a room near the playground (we ended up in building 14). The staff put us on the ground floor, which actually you have to go down a couple of flghts of stairs (or ride elevator) to get to it. It was paradise for our son as the playground is next to a waterspray play area and also putt-putt golf course. The unit was perfect in size for us, with a king size bed in the bedroom and a pull out bed in the living room. The jacuzzi tub was very popular as well with our son!

The only negative thing I can say about the rooms is that the walls are very thin, so you can hear people walking above you. I am glad that we were on the ground floor as my son loves to run around & play and I would have hated for that to disturb the neighbors had we been above someone.

The staff was excellent and did not hound us about listening to a timeshare speech. We had a message on the first day we were there and also a note on our door that they had a "special gift" for us, but we were not interested for fear of a time-share lecture and were not bothered again. When we wanted tickets to local shows and Dollywood, the staff were able to get them for us so we wouldn't have to bother with waiting in lines (NOTE: always check with them as they are able to get discounts to some of the local shows).

The resort is located right off the main strip and there is plenty to do while you are there. It's a short drive to Dollywood, Gatlinburg and to the parkway. Everyday we were there we were able to find something fun & entertaining to do.

There is plenty of shopping near by, to include outlet stores and a Walmart. We opted not to use the Walmart to get some of our groceries as the parking lot was always full. Instead, we used our GPS to find a Food Lion located a couple of miles away and it was not crowded at all.

We are so happy with our trip that we already want to go back for a visit next year!

• Liked — The room was exactly what we were looking for in size and comfort. The customer service was excellent.
  • Disliked — The walls were thin and could hear the people above us walking around.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank jeepchickzhills
Just outside of Pittsburgh,PA in Ohio
Reviewed July 30, 2008

We are not owners but friends of ours are. They had their week booked and asked if our family would like to vacation with them. Our friends called and was given an 800# for us to call. We did call and was given a rate for a 2 bdroom unit. We were then offered a better rate plus $100.00 cash back if we would be willing to do their 90 minute tour during the weeks stay. We gladly agreed. Check in was very painless. They were able to put us in condos on the same floor. That was very important when you have 5 kids 12 and under that are vacationing together and going back and forth. As soon as we were settled in our units we went to the pool closest to our building - # 10. We were surprised at how small and crowded it was. There was a group of older kids that had basicly taken over half of the pool because they were throwing eachother in very hard and doing cannonballs on top of eachother. The staff was told and told them once to knock it off which they did do for about 30 seconds. Our 2 - 12 year old boys went into the inside pool while we were relaxing outside. They were promply told that they had to be 14 to be inside without an adult. We all didn't go back to that pool because we found the pool on the other side of the property. That indoor and outdoor pool was wonderful so that is where we went the rest of the week. It was just a pain to have to drive to go to the pool. You do what you gotta do. That night getting the kids into bed my husband was having his nightly wrestling match with them. I was shocked to get a call from the front desk saying that security didn't like what they were hearing. We were on the thrid floor in the kids room for goodness sake and not being that loud. That disturbed me and I was offended that we get a compliant about us playing with our kids in our unit, especially after the day at the pool when someone could have gotten hurt. Another night our ac stopped working. I called the front desk and maintenance was up very quickly and resolved the situation. The next night our ac stopped again but could not be fixed. We had to wait until the next morning. Luckily it was a cooler night and the windows do open. I slept well until sunrise when all of the traffic started in the morning and people were shutting their car doors and an ambulance drove by with its siren on. The end of the week we did our tour but it was not 90 minutes....it took 3 hours even though we told them right off the bat we are not buying. Our first salesman was very nice. The manager had to come and talk to us last. He should learn not to chomp on gum. Then we had to be sent to the third person. The whole thing did not seem very honest to me.
The Walmart across the street is convenient but is the only store in town and is always crowded. We wanted to buy a bottle of wine for dinner but they cannot sell wine there, only beer. You have to drive all the way to Gatlinburg to buy wine outside of going to the the winery.
We had a very nice time outside of the obsticles. We hiked several trails. Beautiful. The units at the Wyndham were nice and roomy. I wish they had better fitting sheets on the king bed. The fitted sheet kept popping off the corners.
We would go back to the Smoky Mountains but will stay closer to the mountains.....maybe a cabin next time.

• Liked — Roomy units
  • Disliked — The security not taking care of the pool but concerned with what was going on in my unit.
  • Stayed July 2008
2 Thank onthepond
kpca5
Reviewed July 23, 2008

The accomodations were great, clean, comfortable beds, very spacious!! We stayed in building 27, which is further away from the pools, but worth it for the view. Our three young children (8, 6, and 2) had a great time there as well. Oh yeah - they only have a few charcoal grills at the resort, which isn't very convenient as having propane ones next to your building.

Our only complaint is that the timeshare people (member services, not guest services at the resort) are terrible. They gave us false information about our timeshare points, told us wrong information in order to try to get our points sent to them, and wasted our time. DON'T GIVE THEM THE TIME OF DAY!! Just get your welcome packet, say good-bye, and continue on with your day! Especially beware of a guy named Barry!!! Timeshare people are everywhere in Pigeon Forge and Sevierville. They are like hunters looking for a kill! Don't fall for it! As a timeshare owner myself, I would suggest meeting with someone locally at your city. Don't waste your precious vacation time!!

Overall, we loved our time in the Smokies. Dollywood and Splash Country was very family oriented. We went to the Miracle, Comedy Barn and the Black Bear Jamboree. All of which were GREAT for the whole family!! We are already planning to go again!!

• Liked — The mountain views and peacefulness (once the construction is finished, it will be even better)
  • Disliked — The Wyndham Sales people.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank kpca5
The Real Florida
Reviewed June 25, 2008

Oh, for the good old days of Mom and Pop motels with a little character. This place reminded me of a generic apartment complex. It was crowded with doting grandparents and kids, and sounded like a day care. From one balcony, a grandma and child with a toy piano serenaded everyone for a hundred yards, off key. Having fun yet? Along with the noise from the pools and the mini-golf, it was the wrong place for a Girl's Weekend Away from the Hubby. Great area for grandparents, shoppers, people who like shows and a commercial family atmosphere. Also, I can't figure out what great views everyone else is talking about. There was the view of the nearby construction site, a mall down below, and on the backside, a slightly rising hill and cow pasture. We hid back there on a lovely deck, and tried to pretend we were in the mountains. Oh well. This generic complex could have been anywhere.
As someone else commented, the walls and floors of these resorts are cheap. We heard shrieking kids on the walkways, car doors, and of course that irritating horn to assure an idiot he had really locked his car 12 times a day. Car lights swept through the interior (ground floor) in the evenings. I found the staff friendly, if a bit weary of their own sales people. My friend worried about the traumatized parrot in the front lobby that the kids couldn't stay away from. Hate to sound like a grouch, but we'll rent a cabin somewhere in the mountains next time.

• Liked — Deck overlooking pasture at reat of complex. Met other refugees seeking quiet.
  • Disliked — Noise, no mountain atmosphere or quiet area. Had to go elsewhere to see mountains.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank 1970sGypsy
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 7, 2008

If you are going here and expecting some decent rest, you may want to look elsewhere. The mattress was LONG past it's prime and gave me the worst backache of my life and my husband's side of the bed wasn't any better.

First though, as I have allergies to feathers, I usually check the pillows upon arriving in a hotel room. I did and found nothing but feather pillows in the room. Usually a call to the front desk resolves this. NOT this time! The lady at the front desk looked and called back and said she could not find any fiberfill pillows. So I made do by taking the throw pillows from the couch and putting them in a pillow case for that night. Figured they'd find one the next day. Never heard from the front desk on this again.

But they had another opportunity to correct this when the Living room TV started acting up - changing channels took several minutes and several pushes of the remote or on-set button to accomplish. Then someone's text messages were flashing across the screen on whatever show we were watching. The maintenance man came by Sunday after a call to the front desk and reset (unplugged, waited a minute or 2 and re-plugged the set). The maintenance man asked if there was anything else and we mentioned the pillow issue. He said he'd check with housekeeping on it.

Monday AM, Memorial Day - my first day off work since mid-January - before 9 am we got 2 phone calls from "member services" about 'missing' the update meeting which we had told them at checkin we did NOT want to schedule or attend, as we had just been to one at the resort where our timeshare is deeded. Upon the 3rd call that morning, I let Member Services know what I thought about being woken up early on my vacation for their 'gift' and that I still had not gotten a fiberfill pillow after 2 nights.

Tuesday I stopped at the Walmart that Wyndham uses as a landmark on their directions to this resort, as it is a mere mile from the resort and spent $5 for a fiberfill pillow.

Guess they never heard of having a petty cash account and sending someone down there to get one if they did not have a non-feather pillow in the place, which I find hard to believe, as almost ALL hotels do.

The TV workd for a while Sunday, and later that night, then acted up again with the same issues. A call Monday got us another set (probably from some other unit).

The indoor pool at the older section was great. Whoever designs these resorts needs to take into consideration when the sun hits the outdoor pool for heating. This one was below the hillside and was shaded during the afternoon, making the water too cold to enjoy.

Parking can be an issue if you are out late; there is enough, but if you come back to the unit late, be prepared to walk a piece from your car to your unit.

This resort had received Fairfield/Wyndham's 'Pineapplle Award' since 2001, but it seemed like we only got the spiney portion this trip. This is the worst of about 8 Wyndham properties we have visited since owning our timeshare.

• Liked — nice indoor pool
  • Disliked — Bedding
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Idreamof
Tennessee
Reviewed May 21, 2008

I just recently stayed at this resort (May 16-19). I have stayed here 2 times before. Me, my 3 year old and 2 other adults stayed here. Every time I come, the staff is very friendly and helpful. Each time I checked in, the process was fast and easy. Also, each time we stayed in a 2 bedroom. The new condos are very beautiful and clean. It felt like a cozy home. I enjoyed it very much.

• Liked — The feeling of home
  • Disliked — Some noise from the above rooms
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank AvidVacationer80
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sevierville
Resort at Governor's Crossing
Margaritaville Island Hotel
Margaritaville Island Hotel
#8 of 91 in Pigeon Forge
Wyndham Vacation Resorts Great Smokies Lodge

Been to Wyndham Smoky Mountains? Share your experiences!