“Great location, little dirty”

Wyndham Smoky Mountains
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Great location, little dirty”
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

Check-in: staff was super friendly and accommodating. Most activities are held at the Elkmont center so make sure to ask for room availability at the other side of the road.
Room: 2 bedroom unit. Overall, it was big and nice. The only problem, the master bathroom shower floor was dirty and slippery from soap scum since day one. The guess relations lady that knock on our door to deliver the gift (we unplugged the phone as soon as we entered to the room) was informed and said that a housekeeping person would be coming....still waiting.
Activities: we only participated in the bingo and it was really fun!
The pool: nice, clean, warm and lots of fun for the kids.
The area: close to everything. Day 1 we stayed at the property. Day 2 we visited the Smoky Mountains. The property is about 25 minutes drive, then go straight to a visitor center to find your way around. Day 3 we visited Ripleys aquarium and downtown Gatlinburg.

Would I stay here again? Probably not if there's availability at the other resort, Great Smoky Mountains which has an indoor water park. Just because I like to visit different properties.

Stayed December 2013
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham Smoky Mountains, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We appreciate your kind words regarding our staff. We are glad you enjoyed a game of Bingo as well as the pool area. We apologize for the issue with the bathroom shower and will be sure to address this concern so it is not an issue moving forward. We hope youu come back to visit next time you’re in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Staff was very friendly when we checked in and we were never bothered by people trying to sell timeshares. Other than check in we did not see any hotel personnel. I booked thru Bookit.com I just want everyone to be aware that the pic you see is not the room you get. Like buyer beware.. My trip was somewhat tainted after checking into a much smaller room than I had originally thought that I had booked. The pics did not show the 1 bedroom "lockoff: that I received. But a nice spacey 1 bedroom that I thought I was booking. When I called to inquired I was told That I needed to have booked The one bedroom "Deluxe" and she was sorry they was booked and no more deluxe was available. Had I know I was not getting the deluxe, that I thought I was paying for, I would have just stayed in a cheaper hotel down the street.. Which everything is so close together that it wouldn't have matter where we stayed and I could have saved at lest $300 dollar. So while not a bad place to stay.. It's nice and clean.. I just felt I didn't get what I paid for or I would had paid a higher price to get the space I wanted. Beware call and ask what youre booking and don't go by the pics. The lock off for a family of 4 is a bit too cozy for 5 days. It served it's purpose but I could have paid less for more. All the amenities where on the "other property atop a very steep hill and if you have children under 14, you would not want them to walk over to it about a half mile up a steep hill across a busy street. so needless to say we did not enjoy any alone time.. while the kids played at playroom.. just not convenient.. will not be staying here again.

Room Tip: Choose a 4th floor room as you can hear people moving about over you
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MlJ613
Olathe
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We checked in on Christmas eve. We wanted to get away from the typical Christmas experience. This could be a good place to do this, I guess this was just not our year.

When we checked in, we were given a parking pass. I understand this, but if it is required to be on display, why did I have to walk out to the car to get the license plate? The pass would be displayed on my dash. This was the first impression, and it will only go down hill from here.

When we arrived at our room we walked in and were immediately impressed with the size of the room. Then it was quickly overcome with the poor quality of the couch, and other furniture. I think it is made from plastic sheets you put on a child's bed to prevent urination from penetrating. I tried to call and ask if all of the rooms had this quality of furnishings, and I was told I was in the nicest and newest room they had. When my fiancee tried to remove the extra pillows from the closet, the shelving fell and hit her on the head. This started a great evening for our vacation. The room did have a stove, refrigerator, and sink, well at least half of them. They were so small they are mostly inoperable.

Trying to look past the negative, we decided to go to bed early. It was a good decision because at 8:30 the gentleman emptying the trash was trying to wake the whole state of Tennessee. I decided since I was awake I would take a shower. Not counting the leaking tub, or lack of water pressure it was very nice.

All of this with paired with the slow internet, being able to involve ourselves with the neighbors conversations through the walls have started the beginning of a truly blessed Christmas.

Oh, I forgot to add, I just found a large bug on the coffee table.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Geof H
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham Smoky Mountains, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Hi Geoffrey,

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear you were disappointed with the room decor and that you had to spend even a minute of your vacation dealing with many maintenance issues. We know there is a certain level of satisfaction expected when staying at our properties. Please rest assured we will look into the maintenance issues you experienced and follow up. Again, thank you for reaching out.
Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

This is one of out favorite Wyndham vacation resorts. The staff make you feel like family. The rooms are great for families to spread out in. We like the flexibility of cooking for ourselves or going out to eat. Shopping and restaurants are nearby. The activity center is a fun place for the kids to hang out. Much better than a hotel room.

Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Swimroetter
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham Smoky Mountains, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We appreciate your kind words and will share them with our staff. It’s great to hear you enjoyed the cooking amenities in your unit and close proximity to shopping areas. We look forward to your next visit.
Upper Sandusky, Ohio
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Just got back from a long weekend- We enjoyed our stay! We stayed in the 3 bedroom and it was more than we expected. Rooms were clean, and had everything we needed. Staff was very friendly when we checked in and we were never bothered by people trying to sell timeshares.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sharp227
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham Smoky Mountains, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We appreciate your kind words and will share them with our staff. We are glad you enjoyed the room accommodations. Our goal is to make each guest feel at home while on vacation. We look forward to your next visit.
Mars Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We very much enjoyed our stay. I was especially pleased witth the assistance provided by Shannon Birney in the activities office. Though your resort is not a "traditional hotel", Ms. Birney met our requests and it was lovely. This was our first time in a Wyndham Resort. It was very different, all that room!! But it was very comfortable.

Room Tip: sides of the building NOT facing the 5 lane highway would be preferable, but it was not a huge issue...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham Smoky Mountains, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Hi Dean,

Thank you for providing this feedback. We appreciate your kind words and will share them with our staff. We are glad you enjoyed the unit space and we look forward to your next visit.
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Overall, this Wyndham is an average time share. The rooms are clean and the staff friendly enough. Don't recommend getting in the jacuzzi hot tubs in the room due the scum that comes out while/after you run it. You must take a shower after. Most disgusting.

The rooms could use better attention to detail, like a channel guide, at least two more utensils, dishes, glasses, and etc so you can plate your food on a "serving" dish and not wash everything right after you use it.

There are some activities for the family. However, while we stayed at the facility, there was inclement weather, which meant a number of things were canceled. We did take advantage of checking out the board games and the miniature golf, which was fun.

The Elkmont room held more evening activities than the Greenbrier room, and that facility also has more to do, such as pool tables and a sauna. We did have fun at junk food bingo and locating the Elf on the Shelf.

We did not experience the paper thin walls as some other reviewers mentioned on here and TripAdvisor.

Again, we felt this Wyndham deserved a three star rating due to the lack of attention to detail in the rooms and the scumminess of the bath tub. We did have to wash our towels a number of times because we experienced the toilet overflowing and had to clean it up.

If you are a Wyndham member, this is a good location to serve as a home base for Smoky Mountain activities. If you are not a member, another location may be more suitable. It was nice that this location was not on the major strip.

Tip: bring your own laundry detergent if you like clean towels and sheets. One of our towels when we arrived appeared to have a large dirty mark on it. As I mentioned, we had to wash our towels a few times.

Btw, we stayed at this Wyndham from 25 Nov - 1 Dec 2013.

Stayed November 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sevierville
Resort at Governor's Crossing
The Inn at Christmas Place
The Inn at Christmas Place
#2 of 90 in Pigeon Forge
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Pigeon Forge

Been to Wyndham Smoky Mountains? Share your experiences!