“Get the Thai Coleslaw!”

Dining options: Reservations
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Get the Thai Coleslaw!”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Hurray! At last, we have a favorite place to eat on our weekly business deliveries to Sevierville. Such friendly people and such delicious food -- I felt great about eating there. I particularly loved the Thai Coleslaw appetizer (spicy with lots of peanuts) and the spring rolls. I also enjoyed the "Rainbow" plate, which was my entree -- I got it mild but next time will step up the heat. The decor is thoughtful and pleasant, and the staff are very attentive. We were pleased to see the place full on a Thursday evening -- a testimony to the reputation it has quickly built. Thank you, Thai Basil, for feeding us well in East Tennessee.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank TennesseeJenny

DeLand, FL
“Hidden gem in a tourist town”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We'd noted Thai Basil in the small shopping center near where we stay in Sevierville and had high hopes for it--there isn't enough great Thai food in the area where we live (good--just not great) and after a fine afternoon touring Roaring Fork, we thought it too late to fix dinner. My son suggested going to Thai Basil and that sounded right to the rest of us.

The interior, though small, is well laid out, and has bits of Thai memorabilia that you should take the time to inspect more closely. The menu may hold one or two surprises for you depending on your experience with Thai food, but we found it to be a comfortable array of standard (and favorite) dishes with a few interesting twists--for example, I'd not encountered avocado as an ingredient in a Thai dish before. It's featured in the Masaman curry.

We started with the Thai dumplings, a production of chicken, carrot and bamboo shoot steamed in a wonton wrapper. The sauce makes this what it is--a solid soy base with a mild infusion of heat that ties the other flavors together. Fried garlic tops the dumplings, adding a satisfying and slightly bitter crunch.

My green curry with tofu hit exactly the right spot. The curry was suitably rich, with a slight hint of sweetness on the palate as it finished. All the vegetables retained appropriate body and the tofu was fried just the right amount. I found medium heat to be appropriate for my palate; it was a slow heat that built the more you ate.

My son's basil stir fry was superb as well--he took it hot, and that heat hit immediately upon tasting a sample. The flavor notes were right, the heat was spectacular, and he had no trouble finishing it.

My wife's drunken noodles, also with the basil sauce--but mild--was pleasing as well. I didn't get to sample it, but she compared the heat in her dish to my son's, and said she was glad she'd gotten the mild. (Which is fine--the flavors were intact without the heat.)

My son finished with mango sticky rice--an estimable version--while my wife and I opted to share the black rice with egg custard at the prompting of our server. The egg custard was sweet, and textured along the lines of a Japanese omelette, but much thicker. The black rice (photo below) was sticky and sweet and appropriately chewy, and helped calm the fire left from my green curry.

The service was attentive and friendly, leaving nothing to be desired.

We will be pleased to schedule further visits to Thai Basil on subsequent visits to Sevierville--and we are now relying on all you locals to keep it in business until we get back!

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Mercurian
Sevierville, Tennessee
“Great great food!”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Finding freshly prepared food in this area is a challenge. Thai Basil answers that call with a nicely done menu featuring traditional Thai interpretations served with a smile. I have yet to have a bad meal there. I haven't tried anything that I wouldn't order again. Its great to see someone answer the need in Sevierville for non-chain food. It's always busy which is testament that people value quality.
Downsides to Thai Basil? Atmosphere. Fairly bland. Location is not terrible but not great either.
The traditional Thai hot scale doesn't apply here as I always order the hottest and manage not to cry. Great restaurant that deserves your business.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Barista90
Tennessee
“Healthy dining option”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Thai basil shrimp rolls are scrumptious! I ordered the veggie/w fresh ginger stir fry and also tried the Lemongrass hot'n' sour chicken soup w/fresh cilantro.
Everything is made fresh, to order, and so worth the wait!
The restaurant has only been open a year, but has quickly become a favorite dining spot.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Hutzpoffer
Washington, DC
“Surprising find!”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

The appetizers are great. The staff is friendly they opened up early for our large party. The entrees are authentic! the entire family loved it!

• Visited April 2013