“Great for the family”

GreenLeadersGold level
Easton, Pennsylvania
“Great for the family”
Reviewed February 14, 2011

Wyndham shares the location with Wilderness of the Smokies. Great indoor water park and 2 outdoor water parks. Wyndham units are very large and well appointed with full kitchens. The main Wyndham unit is connected to the Wilderness building (where the indoor water park is) by a sky bridge. There is a restaurant and snack shop on site but most of the restaurants are done the road toward Pigeon Forge. One of the outdoor parks is across the street at the Wilderness hotel. A shuttle service runs continually.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank divearnd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Frankfort
Reviewed January 1, 2011

The resort in one word. AWSOME. This resort has a lot of aminities for the winter time. The indoor water park was fantastic took 3 small kids they were there all day everyday. They have resturants right by the park if you want to eat and keep the water activities. The rooms are very spacious with nice furnishings. The buildings was very clean and seem to be built with sounds in mind, did not here people above us that much. The water park was great due to it being 25 degree's outside. One great thing is you don't have to go outside to get to the park just a quick walk thru the breeze way and your there. Park has big slides and very small slides, had a 2 yr old that played in a area of her own with small slides. Also a great wave pool that got crowed a lot. Staff was very helpful and polite. Going back this summer to use the outdoor park. I will go to this park anytime i take the kids with me but if you going for a quiet weekend this is not the place for that. I would recommend this park for the active family.

Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank jbobbitt
Columbus, Mississippi
Reviewed September 22, 2010

I had chosen to stay at the Wyndham resort and called the local number on their website to ask some questions about the rooms. The girl that answered was extremely rude and made it very clear that she had other things to do than answer my questions. I was asking her about things in relation to what is listed on their web site and she told me "I don't know what's on the web site." In the middle of our conversation she started yelling to someone there to do something. Since I was obviously "bothering" her, based on this person's attitude I chose to go somewhere else.

Obviously a lot of people have had good experiences here so I hate to take the rating down so low. But you have to call them like you see them and this employee's attitude defintely soured me on the property.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank skyking56
Florida
Reviewed July 10, 2010

This resort has two parts -- the Wilderness Resort which is a hotel and the Wyndham timeshare part which I think as of right now is only building 6. That building sits alongside the outdoor pool/waterpark with the river on the other side.

This is the best Wyndham Club resort that I've stayed in so far -- better than Bonnet Creek in my opinion which is their flagship.

GOOD
-- The building and units are practically brand new. They're modern and have all the amenities you need.
-- The water park is fantastic. The indoor part has four main waterslides, two kids play areas, a wave pool and a surfing machine.
-- The indoor park includes my all-time favorite water ride ever -- Storm Chaser. Don't read about it, just experience it.
-- There's a big outdoor pool with a long lazy river and a small wave pool. There are outdoor cabanas.
-- The water parks are free if you stay there. The outdoor pool closes at 8pm (summer) and the indoor park closes at 10pm.
-- Next to the outdoor pool is a mini golf course that is open at night.
-- The buildings on the hill have another outdoor water park with a free shuttle.
-- There are two grocery stores nearby -- Kroger and Food Lion.
-- Lots of fast food restaurants are also near.
-- Frozen drinks: Sno cones at the outdoor pool, Slush Puppies at the indoor store.
-- Free wifi and free parking!
-- Check in was fast and the front desk people were incredibly friendly. There was never a line.
-- The people in this resort were so friendly. The maintenance man in our building was constantly looking out for guests. The housekeeping people had smiles on their faces and jumped to help when needed. We can't say enough about how exceptional the people are at this resort.

BAD
-- It's far from Gatlinburg and most of the tourist attractions. It took about 30 minutes to get to Dollywood and about 45 minutes to Gatlinburg. You can take the Gatlinburg bypass to get to the mountains faster.
-- There's no real view. You can see the outline of mountains in the distance.
-- The resort has one store and it's for hotel guests, not timeshare people who want to cook. For example, we ran out of butter and couldn't get any. So plan in advance.
-- Food and service at Thirsty Miner were not good. You're better off driving 5 minutes to eat better and cheaper food.
-- The lines at the water park can get long.

UGLY
-- There's very little ventilation in the indoor water park. That is surprising because it's the middle of the hot summer. It gets sauna hot in there. But worse, the smell of chemicals and chlorine is overpowering. We had to take our kids outside several times because we felt dizzy. Then we all has slight nausea for the next 24-36 hours. I noticed that another reviewer posted something similar. It's really a dangerous situation that they should review. They should open doors or windows in the summer. And in the winter they should pump in fresh air. This is not a safe situation for an otherwise fantastic park and resort.

TIPS
-- Get there early when you check in. Even if your room is not available you can use the water park all day.
-- Take the back roads. There are a lot of them. If you have a nav system, you might want to look at alternate routes. The main roads get jammed.
-- Go to the water park first thing in the morning. There are no lines then and you can ride the "tube" rides over and over as many times as you can run up the stairs. The line later in the day is about 30 minutes for Stormchaser.
-- The Canyon ride and Stormchaser are on the same stairs but the line for Canyon is always smaller. If you stay to the left you can usually run almost all the way up.
-- Go on the tube rides at night. Stormchaser is a very different experience at night.
-- Be sure to stop at the visitors center to get maps and tips before starting out.
-- The Krystal burger outlet five minutes away is brand new and has lots of options.
-- If you're in building 6 there's a shortcut to the indoor water park. Go to the far end of the building near the water park. Then take the elevator down to the first floor. Walk straight out the door. To the right you'll see a small sidewalk that leads to the golf check in counter next to the pool. If you take a left you're inside the water park. You can do the same in reverse as long as you have your key to get back in. This saves about a ten minute walk.

I highly recommend this resort. If you're not a Wyndham timeshare owner, you're probably paying too much to stay on the other side.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
15 Thank angmohgao
Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed May 22, 2010

My husband and I drove my three little guys to this resort all the way from Pennsylvania. I was a 10-12 hour treck and we were nervous about the outcome.

We had the best time in this hotel. I have seen reviews about this property and the length of the walk to the waterpark. All I have to say, unless your handicapped (And they will assist you), you cannot complain. Its an INDOOR walk of about 10 minutes. You have a water park ON the property. Really. I had to barely go anywhere unless I wanted to. We did a lot of sight seeing in the mountains, great aquarium, great little towns and unbelievable mountains.

The rooms were amazing, clean and efficient. My boys STILL talk about it. I cannot wait to go back!!

Oh FYI, rest on site....awful. Dont go!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
6 Thank TravelAgentGuru
KY
Reviewed May 17, 2010

We stayed here Spring Break, first week of April this year. We are Wyndham owners, our deed is at Governor's Crossing down the road. Wyndham's building at GS Lodge is Building 6. It's the furthest building from the waterpark but that was a good thing to us.
We were in a 3BR on the end of the 2nd floor, our door opened directly into the pedway to the main building and the waterpark. We noticed on the walk (less than 10 minutes) over to the park, there was a lot of traffic and noise in the halls. We didn't have that problem being so far away.

The unit was fabulous as usual and when we arrived, we called down to ask where the nearest ice machine was. They told us where it was (in the building across the pedway, a 2 minute walk) but immediately brought us two bags of ice! I was amazed!

The waterpark was crowded but the only attraction that the wait was too long for the kids to stand, was the surf board thing, sorry can't remember the name. Hubby and friends decided to go early in the morning and got right on, said it was worth the wait!
The buildings were extremely clean, most of the staff were very friendly. The only problems we had were we believed what we read on this site and tried to pay for extra wristbands for some friends. We were told that under no circumstance did they permit or sell entrance to anyone not staying on property. No big deal, just a little disappointed.
I have to say even then the young man at the desk was very nice about it and I noticed later he was still at desk after what had to be about 9 hours, still smiling and courteous, so we didn't have any of the attitude problems you read about.

The outdoor parks had just opened up that day we arrived,due to high temps but it rained and we didn't get to use them. There was a lazy river and cabanas outside I look forward to using on the next trip, there is a fee for the cabanas.

Parking was not a problem, we came and went throughout the day and always parked near the door, good for us, we had one with a broken leg:) The layout was such that nothing was very far.

Overall, the stay was perfect for us, a group of friends with 7 kids ranging from 5-17, mostly boys who couldn't get enough of the waterpark. The dads had a ball acting like kids and us moms were almost completely ignored, which was GREAT! There were enough things nearby to occupy us while the rest of our party played. There are all the usual shows, shopping, mani/pedi spas, restaurants. We WILL be back!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank countrymusicgirl
South Deerfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 24, 2010

Another great vacation! I was waiting to see some reviews before going, but since it was so new, there weren't any. I got home from there today, ran to the computer, and someone already beat me to be the first reviewer.
First, the facts: only part of the resort is Wyndham, with more Wyndham units to come. The rest is a hotel resort, which is physically closer to the water park (it was a hike to get to it from the Wyndham side), and the water park is not owned by Wyndham, which is why you have to pay for the mini golf ($6). This also means that when the park is closed, (only open 10-8), you have no swimming pool. (We tend to be busy during the day, and want to swim early, or late). The food was reasonably priced. There is an outdoor park that opens in warmer weather, and more outside water areas opening in May. It should get better as it matures.
The parking is convenient, the rooms magnificent, the beds comfy, the elevators prompt, and as always, there aren't enough carts to move your luggage. It didn't seem crowded, either in the water park, at check in, in the lobby when you wanted a computer, in the exercise room, or in general. They had a nice gift shop and convenience store in the hotel section.
There were stores nearby to stock up on things, just learn the back roads to avoid the LONG traffic lights.
Lastly: There were so many things to do in the area, and they weren't crowded either. (April 18-23). Visit Dollywood, Walden Creek Stables, Ripley's Aquarium, and Bryson City, NC Great Smoky Mountain Railroad. They all were memorable.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family