“Wonderful vacation experience”

Wyndham Vacation Resorts Great Smokies Lodge
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 22, 2013

This was our first stay at the Great Smokies Lodge and we've found a jewel! The staff is incredibly helpful, the rooms are spacious and comfortable. The only complaint that I havd was that the wireless connection was slow and intermittent and videos don't upload very well. That said, there is plenty to do at this resort. The indoor waterpark is spectacular and the adventure park is lots of fun although the indoor park is available at extra cost. Overall, this is an outstanding resort.

There are newer reviews for Wyndham Vacation Resorts Great Smokies Lodge

Reviewed February 22, 2013

I am a new owner with the Wyndham Resorts and this is the first time I have stayed with them. We reserved a two bedroom condo well over 6 months in advance for this stay. We came on the program of bringing a friend with us and they had to sit through their 2-hour sales tour.

Our check in time was at 4:00. We arrived about 4:05 to check in and after standing in line for a few minutes I was informed that our unit was not ready. I asked what the problem was and the lady said let me check and proceeded to make a phone call. I heard her ask the person on the other line, " what do you mean you haven't even started on their unit yet?" I immediately asked how long it would be and was told not until at least 6:20 for our Unit! I told the lady at the desk this is not acceptable as we just drove 7 hours with three kids, ages 5 to 7, in the car and now they expect us to wait another 2 1/2 hours to get in our unit. I demanded to talk to the manager. The manager acted as if she knew nothing about the problem and would check into it. After waiting awhile for an answer I was told, " sorry there's nothing we can do." Sorry is all you can say as our kids have been sitting in the car for an hour now in front of your resort.

When I made our reservations I also requested a unit close to the water park since we had a handicap child with us that would need to be carried to the park. We did not need a handicap unit since we were not bringing her wheelchair...I did not want to take a unit from someone who would really need it. I was told during the reservation that this would not be a problem. However, when I asked where our unit was going to be as was told it would be in the building furthest from the water park on the other side of the parking lot. That means taking the kids across the parking lot in the middle of February to get to and from the water park. Are you kidding me?

Our goal was to make the kids dinner in the room and then enjoy the water park for a couple hours that night. These plans were going out the window if we had to wait until almost 6:30 to get into the room.

Lucky for us at this point there was an older couple who over heard our problem at check in and offered to switch us their 2-bedroom in the front of the resort near the water park and they would wait on the one we were getting at the back. The resort agreed to the switch and it took them about 30 minutes to complete it. We finally got to our unit around 5:30 thanks to the couple who switched with us.

I forgot to point out that we were not the only ones who had to wait on units. The lady at the desk told me there were about 10 people who didn't have their units ready. She said the problem was the resort stopped cleaning their own units and contracted the cleaning to an outside company and they are not getting the units ready before the 4:00 checking.

I have to admit that once we finally got into our unit, the stay was great. The unit was extremely nice and clean. The whole resort was very clean and well maintained. Outside of the check-in problems the vacation was great.

3  Thank Michael B
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My family stayed here from Feb. 8-10 in Building 7 room 7411 in a 3 bedroom deluxe. I can only say the room was amazing very comfortable for our family of 8 that weekend. It had 2 king beds 2 double beds a queen pullout sofa 2 bathrooms a full kitchen and flat screens in every room. There was a stackable washer/dryer in the room and a dining room table for all of us. The room was very clean and the walk to the waterpark was not bad at all. Check-in was a breeze compared to the Wilderness check-in they were at least 25 people in line over there. I cant wait till we book again here!!!

Room Tip: The 3 bedroom deluxe is very spacious for a larger family or bringing the grandparents. 2 kings and...
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was an amazing vacation experience!! Excellent service and the apple farm up the street was so wonderful as well! Just try the fried apple pies and cider! People were sooooo friendly and honest. My husband dropped his phone while hiking and someone actually returned it!!! That was such a blessing! The amenities were great, and someone even came to our room to check in on us, no sales pitch, no member update!!! Want to go again, and again, and again LOL

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank bellasphinx
Reviewed January 22, 2013

A friend of mine was kind enough to allow me use of her one of her spare bedrooms in the Wyndham resort during the Wilderness Wildlife Week event. Our stay was from Sat-Sat, Jan. 12-19, 2013. We wound up in the 2000 building in room 2121, a three-bedroom unit. We had four adult women in the party.

The condo was nicely furnished, and although some minor wear-and-tear is showing, we found nothing that was extremely bothersome at first. The condo was on the very end of the building on the same level as the parking lot. For the first few days, we and one other group with us staying next door in condo 2122 were the only ones in that building.

Everything in the condo was in good working order, and the only issue we found right off was a closet door knob in the master bedroom that wouldn't stay on the door. The master bathroom had two rooms, with one having a sink area and hot tub while the other area had another sink area and a shower-only stall. The hot-water heater for this bathroom is located in a closet and is very large to accomodate the hot tub.

The condo also has separate heat/air units for the master suite/living room area and the spare bedroom/bathroom areas, so each side can adjust temps accordingly if needed. The kitchen area is of decent size with a dining table that seats six and could seat eight if necessary. There's also a "bar" area with chairs surrounding the kitchen counter section.

The only real issue we had during our stay was that the windows in the two spare bedrooms leaked water after the heavy rains we had for three days. The area received nearly 10 inches of rain in three/four days time, and water came in under the flashing of the windows and damaged the window sill. This occurred in three windows located on the end of the building, and we reported it as soon as we found the problem.

The folks at the recreation building were very nice to help me on an occasion when I needed to use the business center. They gladly faxed a document for me, and helped me use their computers. Word of warning: the business center computers can only be used for internet use; they are not loaded with any Microsoft business suite software such as Word, Excel, etc.

We had weather challenges during our stay that proved anoying, but what can you do. We arrived to very warm temps for January (70s) for two days, then it rained torrents for three days causing flooding in town and damage to the windows mentioned above in the condo, not to mention washing out Hwy 441 in the Smokies park. Then we had an afternoon when four to six inches of snow fell at one time in just three or four hours, followed by very cold temps that turned all the water to black ice in many cases.

I have to give "thumbs up" to the condo resort for plowing the parking lots and spreading rock salt on the sidewalks to help keep the ice/snow problems to a minimum. The entire complex is on top of a good-sized hill and icy driveways would have been a disaster had they not done such a great job of clearing them.

Also, on the few issues we needed to call about, they were very prompt in responding and I give them another big "thumbs up" for customer service.

Overall, even with all the challenges, it was a great week.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kat_Cubs_fan
Reviewed December 27, 2012

This place is great for families with kids. The waterpark runs a shuttle to the front door and the buses are heated. When it's 27 degrees outside that's important. The waterpark passes are included with the stay and we bought the "all stay" adventure park passes for the kids which let's them do the major things all included. You have to pay for normal arcade games but the rock wall, ropes courses, mini golf are all included int the "all stay" pass. There are several restaurants but honestly we bought and cooked food, not for money reasons but for the simple fact it was better healthier food. There are several grocery stores nearby and it's worth the trip for healthier food. The waterpark is amazing. 85 degrees inside while freezing outside. Can't say enough. We will be back.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank cccode
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Great activity pool for toddlers, children and adults. We had a great weekend playing in the water or sliding on the slides. Few slides for the family to do together but the adult or older children slides are excellent!!!

Food and restaurants are over priced I would suggest eating out for better value for money but if you don't want to leave the resort you do not have too. The restaurants are in the lodge across the road from the condos so it is either a walk or the shuttle. The walk is fine as long it is not too cold and you have not just been in the pool.
The condo is beautifully decorated and lots of room for every one.
We had a wonderful trip and we have stayed in both the lodge and the Wyndham resort now.
The lodge is better for little children just because it is closer to walk to the pool area and amenities.
We do look forward to visiting again but I would compare both propertied before I go.

Room Tip: Stay in the main Lodge instead of the Wyndham condos it is closer to the pool
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank triotrois
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sevierville
Resort at Governor's Crossing
#3 of 20 in Sevierville
The Inn On The River
The Inn On The River
#2 of 92 in Pigeon Forge

Been to Wyndham Vacation Resorts Great Smokies Lodge? Share your experiences!