“Week-long Stay During WWW Proved Challenging Due to Weather” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Vacation Resorts Great Smokies Lodge

Wyndham Vacation Resorts Great Smokies Lodge
GreenLeadersGold level
Chickamauga, Georgia
“Week-long Stay During WWW Proved Challenging Due to Weather”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

A friend of mine was kind enough to allow me use of her one of her spare bedrooms in the Wyndham resort during the Wilderness Wildlife Week event. Our stay was from Sat-Sat, Jan. 12-19, 2013. We wound up in the 2000 building in room 2121, a three-bedroom unit. We had four adult women in the party.

The condo was nicely furnished, and although some minor wear-and-tear is showing, we found nothing that was extremely bothersome at first. The condo was on the very end of the building on the same level as the parking lot. For the first few days, we and one other group with us staying next door in condo 2122 were the only ones in that building.

Everything in the condo was in good working order, and the only issue we found right off was a closet door knob in the master bedroom that wouldn't stay on the door. The master bathroom had two rooms, with one having a sink area and hot tub while the other area had another sink area and a shower-only stall. The hot-water heater for this bathroom is located in a closet and is very large to accomodate the hot tub.

The condo also has separate heat/air units for the master suite/living room area and the spare bedroom/bathroom areas, so each side can adjust temps accordingly if needed. The kitchen area is of decent size with a dining table that seats six and could seat eight if necessary. There's also a "bar" area with chairs surrounding the kitchen counter section.

The only real issue we had during our stay was that the windows in the two spare bedrooms leaked water after the heavy rains we had for three days. The area received nearly 10 inches of rain in three/four days time, and water came in under the flashing of the windows and damaged the window sill. This occurred in three windows located on the end of the building, and we reported it as soon as we found the problem.

The folks at the recreation building were very nice to help me on an occasion when I needed to use the business center. They gladly faxed a document for me, and helped me use their computers. Word of warning: the business center computers can only be used for internet use; they are not loaded with any Microsoft business suite software such as Word, Excel, etc.

We had weather challenges during our stay that proved anoying, but what can you do. We arrived to very warm temps for January (70s) for two days, then it rained torrents for three days causing flooding in town and damage to the windows mentioned above in the condo, not to mention washing out Hwy 441 in the Smokies park. Then we had an afternoon when four to six inches of snow fell at one time in just three or four hours, followed by very cold temps that turned all the water to black ice in many cases.

I have to give "thumbs up" to the condo resort for plowing the parking lots and spreading rock salt on the sidewalks to help keep the ice/snow problems to a minimum. The entire complex is on top of a good-sized hill and icy driveways would have been a disaster had they not done such a great job of clearing them.

Also, on the few issues we needed to call about, they were very prompt in responding and I give them another big "thumbs up" for customer service.

Overall, even with all the challenges, it was a great week.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Kat_Cubs_fan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
San Jose, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This place is great for families with kids. The waterpark runs a shuttle to the front door and the buses are heated. When it's 27 degrees outside that's important. The waterpark passes are included with the stay and we bought the "all stay" adventure park passes for the kids which let's them do the major things all included. You have to pay for normal arcade games but the rock wall, ropes courses, mini golf are all included int the "all stay" pass. There are several restaurants but honestly we bought and cooked food, not for money reasons but for the simple fact it was better healthier food. There are several grocery stores nearby and it's worth the trip for healthier food. The waterpark is amazing. 85 degrees inside while freezing outside. Can't say enough. We will be back.

4 Thank cccode
Lexington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Great activity pool for toddlers, children and adults. We had a great weekend playing in the water or sliding on the slides. Few slides for the family to do together but the adult or older children slides are excellent!!!

Food and restaurants are over priced I would suggest eating out for better value for money but if you don't want to leave the resort you do not have too. The restaurants are in the lodge across the road from the condos so it is either a walk or the shuttle. The walk is fine as long it is not too cold and you have not just been in the pool.
The condo is beautifully decorated and lots of room for every one.
We had a wonderful trip and we have stayed in both the lodge and the Wyndham resort now.
The lodge is better for little children just because it is closer to walk to the pool area and amenities.
We do look forward to visiting again but I would compare both propertied before I go.

Room Tip: Stay in the main Lodge instead of the Wyndham condos it is closer to the pool
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank triotrois
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Love this resort, have visited many times before. When staying here you have access to the water park which is AWESOME! Rooms are VERY clean and staff is extremely friendly. Will be back for sure! (the only small complaint is the internet here is not very good)

3 Thank ckc5222
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I made our reservations via Priceline.com. We arrived at the condo late Friday night and get told that they do not have our reservation. I call Priceline who faxes a copy of the confirmation to the front desk. It wasn't what they wanted. It was what Priceline sent to their reservations office asking them to confirm three times and three times they never received anything back from them, but Wyndham wanted to blame Priceline. It wasn't Pricelines fault. Luckily, after a couple of hours with me on the phone and my kids upset along with me they call a manager who finds us a one bedroom for the night. We go to Walmart to get air mattresses because there isn't enough room for all of us to sleep. We sign a paper saying they wouldn't charge us, I assumed because we spent most of the night in their lobby! We get a call the next morning saying they are going to "upgrade" us to a 2 bedroom so we pack our stuff which took more time out of our two days and move again down the hall. We get a call from the timeshare people wanting us to take a tour. She ask would I like a later check out time like at 11 and I say sure thinking I could sleep in. Well, that didn't happen! The music from a marathon that was going on in their parking lot woke me bright and early and though I tried to sleep through it I certainly couldn't sleep through the fire alarm that went off for at least 15 minutes! On top of all this I keep getting phone calls asking if I need help checking out! Now keep in mind I already had a paper slipped under my door reminding me of a 10 a.m check out and a voice mail from the front desk!!!! This was by far the most stressful weekend I have ever spent on vacation! The next time I will stay at the Wilderness where it seemed no one had any problems checking in and I am sure they weren't woke up every five minutes being reminded to get the hell out. Plus as an added bonus, I was charged on Monday in full for 2 days of a two bedroom that I was only in for one day and I was in a one bedroom the night before! What a nightmare! Reserve at your own risk because you will be bugged to within an inch of your life while there. If they can't get you by phone, they will leave a voicemail and if that doesn't work there is always pulling the smoke alarm!!

Room Tip: Don't go!!!!! Stay at the Wilderness!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Gagirl1967
Paris, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Love this resort. Extremely clean with friendly staff and a lovely condo with all the comforts of home and more! My husband and I went during the week, when kids were in school, and it was very quiet and relaxing.

1 Thank Candy56
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We spent the weekend at the Wyndham Resort Wilderness at the Smokies. We were in a presidential suite. This two bedroom condo was very high end with granite countertops, tile floors, stainless steel appliances, spa tub in master, gas logs, flat screen tv's.........it was awesome! This was the nicest condo we have ever stay in. It wasn't connected to the indoor waterpark, but it was a short walk across the parking lot. It was a great weekend getaway!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank love2bncharleston
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sevierville
Resort at Governor's Crossing
Margaritaville Island Hotel
#5 of 93 in Pigeon Forge
4.5 of 5 stars 757 reviews
Quality Inn & Suites River Suites

Been to Wyndham Vacation Resorts Great Smokies Lodge? Share your experiences!