“Gorgeous Condos in North building~Great stay”

Wyndham Vacation Resorts Great Smokies Lodge
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I reviewed the wrong place. Put my review under the Wilderness Smokies instead of the Wyndham. We stayed 4 nights during the last week of October. There was next to no one at the waterpark.....it was great! I imagine this place would get pretty packed in the fall/winter when it operates at capacity. Our 2 bed/2 bath condo was in the Wyndham building on the North end of the parking lot, it is NOT attached to the main building with the waterpark. But, while we were there it wasn't so cool that we couldn't make the short walk outside. The condo was just beautiful. I've come to expect nothing less from Wyndham resorts and this one really delivered. Check in was a breeze, staff was friendly and we lucked out and went during an "off season" week as there may have been 70 people in the entire waterpark on each of the three days we went there. Plenty to do. Great waterslides, good sized wave pool and the Flowrider (surf machine) was the biggest hit of all. The staff took the time to teach my 7 year old to knee board. If you are not a Wyndham owner I suggest checking out the Knoxville Craigslist for deals from timeshare companies at this resort. You will not be disappointed with the accomodations.......plush bedrooms, full size washer/dryer, fully stocked kitchens (utensils/plates/glasses/cookware), granite countertops, stainless appliances, gas fireplace and flat screens in all of the rooms. I find it difficult to stay more than one night in a regular hotel room after being spoiled by Wyndham resorts around the country.

Room Tip: Great views from the back of the "unattached" Wyndham building.
7  Thank Reagansmom13

Reviewed February 15, 2012

Spent 3 nights at the end of October at the Great Smokies Lodge with family and had a great time. We had 4 kids in the group, ages 13, 11, 11 & 5. The pool area was smaller than the lodge in wisconsin but large enough to have fun. The wave pool was a hit as was the surfing machine. We did not have a lot of time to spend venturing out in the neighboring area but we were able to take a ride through Cades Cove. A loooong ride that lasted about 2 hours. Scenery was beautiful but traffic in the park was literally bumper to bumper.

The room was as expected, awesome. We had a 3 bedroom unit so there was plenty of space for everyone. We ate in most nights, utilizing the full kitchen. Overall a great place to stay.

The time share presentation was longer than I hoped for but we were treated kindly after declining the offer.

3  Thank greenandgoldfan
Reviewed February 13, 2012

We got a great deal on a weekly stay in Feburary through RCI extra vacations but only stayed Wednesday - Sunday. The check-in on Wednesday was quick and easy. The room was clean, well decorated and spacious... exactly what I've come to expect from Wydham. Our 1 BR deluxe room had a king bed and small hot tub in the bedroom and a queen sleeper sofa in the living room. The kitchen was well equiped and had exactly 4 of everything. Service at the front desk and housekeeping was excellent. I called for extra linens and they were delivered to the room within 5 minutes.

The indoor waterpark was practically empty on Wednesday and Thursday. However, Friday and Saturday were extremely crowded. I'm pretty sure the place was at 100% occupancy. That might be ok in summer when the outdoor water features are open but not so great when everyone is packed into the indoor section. If you can stay on a weeknight it is excellent but if you don't like crowds (like us) I would not recommend going on a weekend. Take your own towels if you do visit over a weekend because they run out frequently at the waterpark desk.

We had stayed here before in the Wilderness section but I did not realize that the Wyndham and Wilderness are in completely separate buildings. Wyndham owns 2 buildings and Wilderness owns the rest. We were in buildling 6 which is connected to the waterpark via a skywalk into the Wilderness building. The other Wyndham building is not connected to the waterpark so you have to walk outdoors or drive for access. Also found out you can book these rooms online through http://www.extraholidays.com/.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Rebecca D
Reviewed November 9, 2011

We spent only a few days of a week long vacation at the Great Smokies Lodge. Wish we would have booked our entire week at this location. Our kids loved the indoor waterpark. They could not get enough. The mini-golf was a little expensive. The room was outstanding and we would definitely return. The Resort is close to the attractions. We enjoyed Dollywood and the Five Guys Burgers down town.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Wolverine2299
Reviewed November 7, 2011

The Wyndham Great Smokies Lodge in conjunction with the Wilderness Indoor Water Park is a great vacation destination. Our timeshare unit was large, clean, well equipped and beautifully decorated. The people were friendly, the resort was clean and well-cared for. Sevierville and the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area offer way too many things to do - you'll need to come back again and again. The indoor water park will entertain your family regardless of weather and the golf course (36 holes) will please all golfers. Our unit was beautiful with state of the art appliances, granite countertops, a deck, really comfortable beds, large-screen flat TVs, a fireplace and well-equipped bathrooms. What more could you ask? The only thing I can think of is that we paid extra (points) for a golf course view which was great ... other units do not have as great a view as we did. But then we were usually outside, in the mountains, touring or shopping anyway. I recommend this resort.

Room Tip: The golf course view is lovely.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank SandyM_47
Reviewed October 29, 2011

My companion decided enough was enough family, work, etc. It was time for life to be "All About Me" He snatched me from work early on my birthday and took me to this wonderful resort. The contemporary room was fresh, clean, and equipped for us to never leave unless we wanted too. The staff was friendly and you could feel how genuine the hospitality was. It was as if the king and queen had arrived. I planning on bring my entire family back: brothers, sister, in-laws, etc... My children will feel like the stay was Christmas all by itself!

Room Tip: If you do not want to deal with the children being children and expressing their excitement DO NOT S...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2011

Beautiful resort, great location and the water park is good. Nothing like Wisconsin dells but still very nice. My kids are having an excellent time. A concern of mine is Wyndham's ability to get a room ready on time. We arrived almost two hours past check in on a Wednesday when the place was pretty empty and I got the "sorry your room is not ready yet.....why don't you go have dinner or use the waterpark until it is....". Well guess what the reason we chose a timeshare is so that we don't have to eat out every night!!!! We had been driving all day and we just wanted to veg for a while. They quickly had the room ready for us and it is very nice, just frustrating that this seems to be a common complaint and they still can't get it right. One other thing.....no major problem but it could be if your traveling on a tight budget they told me they were going to charge my card ahold of $100for incidentals. They actually charged a hold of $150. I'm not a fan of these holds, I don't use room service etc so it just seems like a waste but oh well. Just FYI if you arrive you may want to make sure you ask!

2  Thank 4babygirls