“Wyndham Great Smokies Lodge ... a great experience”

Wyndham Vacation Resorts Great Smokies Lodge
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 7, 2011

The Wyndham Great Smokies Lodge in conjunction with the Wilderness Indoor Water Park is a great vacation destination. Our timeshare unit was large, clean, well equipped and beautifully decorated. The people were friendly, the resort was clean and well-cared for. Sevierville and the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area offer way too many things to do - you'll need to come back again and again. The indoor water park will entertain your family regardless of weather and the golf course (36 holes) will please all golfers. Our unit was beautiful with state of the art appliances, granite countertops, a deck, really comfortable beds, large-screen flat TVs, a fireplace and well-equipped bathrooms. What more could you ask? The only thing I can think of is that we paid extra (points) for a golf course view which was great ... other units do not have as great a view as we did. But then we were usually outside, in the mountains, touring or shopping anyway. I recommend this resort.

Room Tip: The golf course view is lovely.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank SandyM_47

Reviewed October 29, 2011

My companion decided enough was enough family, work, etc. It was time for life to be "All About Me" He snatched me from work early on my birthday and took me to this wonderful resort. The contemporary room was fresh, clean, and equipped for us to never leave unless we wanted too. The staff was friendly and you could feel how genuine the hospitality was. It was as if the king and queen had arrived. I planning on bring my entire family back: brothers, sister, in-laws, etc... My children will feel like the stay was Christmas all by itself!

Room Tip: If you do not want to deal with the children being children and expressing their excitement DO NOT S...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2011

Beautiful resort, great location and the water park is good. Nothing like Wisconsin dells but still very nice. My kids are having an excellent time. A concern of mine is Wyndham's ability to get a room ready on time. We arrived almost two hours past check in on a Wednesday when the place was pretty empty and I got the "sorry your room is not ready yet.....why don't you go have dinner or use the waterpark until it is....". Well guess what the reason we chose a timeshare is so that we don't have to eat out every night!!!! We had been driving all day and we just wanted to veg for a while. They quickly had the room ready for us and it is very nice, just frustrating that this seems to be a common complaint and they still can't get it right. One other thing.....no major problem but it could be if your traveling on a tight budget they told me they were going to charge my card ahold of $100for incidentals. They actually charged a hold of $150. I'm not a fan of these holds, I don't use room service etc so it just seems like a waste but oh well. Just FYI if you arrive you may want to make sure you ask!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank 4babygirls
Reviewed October 11, 2011

After staying several times at the Wyndham Smoky Mountains a little further south in Sevierville, my family and I decided to try this location. Now that I'm back and can reflect objectively, I have mixed feelings, and I wish there were a "half-dot" capability here on TripAdvisor; if so, I'd rate it 3 and a half.

Don't get me wrong; the room was nicely appointed and in good condition, as it should be since it's newer than its sister Wyndham resort further down the Parkway. The dining area in our three-bedroom unit seated way more people than similar units in other Wyndham properties. The units also featured LCD TVs with accessible input ports for hooking up game consoles or portable video players, and the kitchens featured induction ranges.

The big draw for this location is the half-indoor, half-outdoor waterpark. During our visit, all rides were operational, so no complaints there, and my daughter loved the slides and the wave pool. Other on-site activities include an arcade and a pottery painting center, which is professionally run by Polka Dot Pots and is handled much better than the one in Wyndham Ocean Walk in Daytona was when we visited that location earlier this year.

Okay, so here's where my feelings get mixed. This property/waterpark is shared with Wilderness At The Smokies Resort. Wyndham guests can still access the indoor waterpark using the Skywalk free of charge, but the Wyndham buildings are farthest from the park entrance. All waterpark features close at 8 pm on weeknights; this includes **all** pools and hot tubs, which is bad news for adults that want a relaxing late-evening soak away from hyperactive kids during the week.

Also, this resort is shamelessly marketed toward families with children-- and at any given time, there are a lot of them. This virtually guarantees that your room will be next to-- or worse, underneath-- a room with jumpy kids. Guess what we got when we arrived rather late in the day. Yep, you guessed it, underneath **AND** right across from the skywalk entrance. Needless to say, our rests weren't particularly peaceful.

The third aspect that makes me rate this less than four overall is the location itself. It's on the northern edge of Sevierville; this guarantees having to drive a long time to go just about anywhere that's not on the resort, with road construction happening right at the resort entrance further snarling the usual Parkway traffic.

Trust me, you'll want to drive off-resort once you see the high prices from the on-site restaurants. We made the mistake of getting the breakfast buffet one morning. **Never. Again.** The one good nearby resource is a Kroger grocery less than a mile down the Parkway; stock up on in-room snacks and drinks there, a couple boxes of cereal and maybe a meal or two.

So, to sum it up: Families with children that plan to stay on the resort most of the time will find this a neat, clean place with lots of activities, and would easily rate this with a 4 or 5. Couples without children, or guests that have a busy off-resort agenda, will probably be disappointed, and will like the Wyndham Smoky Mountains resort better for its laid-back atmosphere and closer proximity to Sevierville/Pigeon Forge activities. We liked the waterpark this time, but I'm not sure it's worth a return visit for us.

** Pro Tip ** : Use the road that runs just behind the resort (Old Knoxville Hwy) to get into downtown Sevierville; this will bypass all the road construction on the Parkway and put you on Main Street, aka Dolly Parton Parkway. Follow it east a bit to Veteran's Boulevard heading south, and you'll make it to Dollywood without spending a single frustrating moment on the main Parkway.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
16  Thank dXTC
Reviewed September 16, 2011

Arrived 15 minutes after normal VIP checkin - took an hour to get our room - requested top floor - rcvd lower level - complained - took 2 days to get top floor - other guests were able to checkin that did not have VIP or above, Hot tub closes at 8 pm during the week. Great place to stay with kids but will not come back for a long time - no children on this trip - would rather stay at other resort closeby. Sales staff unable to help with questions but was very insistant in trying to sell other products not interested in - finally walked out after 4 hours - 5 days later still waiting on answers to questions.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Dentonmom2000
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Our entire family was thrilled with the large beautiful rooms (my wife called it country chic) and the included indoor watermark. While it did get very hot inside during the heat of the day, this place is almost as big as Great Wolf Lodge and is absolutely amazing! All kinds of family and single and double rider tube slides (including MONSTER called the Howling Tornado) are included but the "coolest" thing they have is a Flow Rider surfing and knee boarding attraction!

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank CookFamilyPharmacists
Reviewed September 12, 2011

The Wyndham Great Smokies Lodge was a family get-away for us over the Labor Day weekend. We were completely happy with the Lodge. Our checkin was a pleasant experience, quick and smooth. The grounds of the resort are very nice and well kept. The 2 BR suites are spacious, and the furnished kitchen provides all the amenities of home. (Though there was no blow dryer provided in the Bathroom) We each received a wristband at checkin that allowed us unlimited use of all three of the waterparks on the Wilderness grounds. My grandson especially loved the children's play area in the indoor swimpark, and my granddaughter loved the wavepool at the indoor swimpark. My favorite was floating on Adventure River in the outdoor swim park. All swim areas have life guards on duty continually. We had a wonderful time and would love to go back again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Mylea64
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sevierville
Resort at Governor's Crossing
#1 of 20 in Sevierville
The Inn On The River
The Inn On The River
#2 of 92 in Pigeon Forge

Been to Wyndham Vacation Resorts Great Smokies Lodge? Share your experiences!