Wyndham Vacation Resorts Great Smokies Lodge
GreenLeadersGold level
Nashville
“Fun time!”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

This place was awesome with the indoor water park. 4 fun water slides. We had a blast. Best kept secret is the all you can eat bar they have upstairs. Very well worth it. Come hungry. Lots of food. Rooms are nice. Wyndham did good by building with them. Thanks. We will be back.!!!

Room Tip: End room so you can walk outside over to the park!
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Morristown, Tennessee
Reviewed May 13, 2011

First off my family and I arrived after the stated check in time of 4pm and our room was not ready. When I asked the lady checking us in when the room would be ready she said "I don't know". That was the first of many times we would hear that on this trip. Finally after waiting in the lobby for about 30 minutes I went back up to the counter and asked if she could please check and see if the room was ready, she checked and said it was, so, our room was ready and we had been sitting there waiting and no one bothered to notify us, I had to ask to get the room! When we walked though the wilderness hotel side of the resort the halls where nice and clean, but as soon as we crossed the Wyndham skywalk to the smokies lodge side, there was a big pile of garbage and trash bags sitting in the hall........................Welcome to wyndham! The one bedroom condo unit we stayed in was actually very nice. It was the service and attitude of wyndham's employees that needs work. After getting settled, I called down to the desk and asked what time the water park was open til and once again I was told "I don't know" On 2 other occasions I called down to the desk to get information and every time I was told "I don't know". One time I was calling to ask about room service and was told "I don't know", imagine a resort not knowing how their own rooms service works! The worst part wasn't how uninformed the employees were, but the fact that they wouldn't go out of the way at all to find out, they would just say "I don't know" and move on. The only way I could get any information at all was to get the # for the wilderness hotel side and call and ask them. The internet usage here was included, but was a joke. Most of the time it wouldn't even connect and when it did it was slooooooooooooow. When I tried using it for the first time it wouldn't work so I called down to the desk and they said (you guessed it) "I don't know what the problem is, but you can call and find out" and they proceeded to give me the 1800 # to their internet service provider so I could call them and get it worked out. They didn't even offer to try to take care of the problem. All and all I am glad we went, but only because we got it at a GREAT deal and got to use the waterpark, if I had paid a big price to stay here and been treated like this I would have been very very upset. So my advice to you is ONLY stay here if you can get a really good deal and be prepared to deal with the AWFUL customer service.

Room Tip: Be Prepared For Awful Terrible Customer Service
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Rome, Georgia
Reviewed May 1, 2011

The Wyndham was fully booked for the weekend and far from being prepared. Check in was at 4 p.m. and we arrived at 5:30 p.m. I waited in line to check in (third in line) and for thirty minutes there were not ANY people at the front desk. I called the hotel from my cell phone while in line and it took about five minutes for someone to answer. Then, I asked on the phone for service at the front desk. The other families in line thanked me for calling. The first two customers were told that their rooms were not ready (unacceptable). When it was finally my turn the lady checking me in said that she needed to check on something two different times and would leave for another ten minutes both times. I asked if there was a problem and she always said "no". I feel, she was stalling which is crazy when you are traveling with three small kids. We did not get to our room until 7 p.m. Very poor standards for the Wyndham. I am still insulted by this and may never stay at another Wyndham if they are going to have Motel 6 standards.

They do rent timeshare condos at this Wyndham, but we were actually paying with money not timeshare points (we are not timeshare owners). I think, this is the only reason we got into the room instead of the others in line.

The room was nice when we did finally get it. I had reserved a two bedroom condo like room. There was plenty of room in our well decorated unit. We did love the waterpark. This was the perfect place for meeting family while having so many kids. My other family members stayed at the Wyndham owned Wilderness Resort on the same property and did not have any issues checking in. In all, we had 14 members of my family staying in these two connecting resorts.

We also encountered one other SHOCKING issue with the Wyndham Resorts. They will charge your credit card 20% more than your purchases EVERYWHERE on their property. We ate at one of the restaurants on the property and they put a hold on the credit card for the purchase amount PLUS an additional 20%. They also did this in the gift shop, the snow cone shop, etc... We would have never known this, but my mother was trying to use one of those gift credit cards and it should have had about hundred dollars left on it when a charge was denied and she called about it. Every charge from the Wyndham or Wilderness was 20% over the total purchase stated on the receipts. When my mom spoke to the manager about it, he stated that they charge the higher amount until you sign and receive the receipt. If you don't get the receipt, you will PAY MORE. It has been a week now and still the charges have NOT been corrected. If you have to stay here, KEEP ALL YOUR RECEIPTS or they will purposely over charge you!
The Wyndham feels this is an acceptable service.

Room Tip: Go to another resort.
3 Thank ktchisel7707
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed April 22, 2011

We are Wyndham owners and stayed for the first time at the Wyndham Great Smokies Lodge for spring break. We stayed in a 2BR deluxe unit. The room was very nice and spacious. My kids 4, 10 and 13 enjoyed the water park every day. The Water park had a nice variety of activities so all my kids had a blast. The only downside is that when we arrived around 6:30pm the room was still not available. They informed us that over 80 rooms had checked out that morning and they were cleaning as fast as possible. I saw and heard a few familes in the lobby complaining about the rooms not being available. We didn't sweat it and went out to grab some dinner. I received a phone call from Wyndham that our room was ready just as were were being seated for dinner.

Overall the resort was great. This was probably the nicest room we have stayed in at a Wyndham resort. New, spacious and very clean, Water park being included with the room was a nice plus. There are restaurants onsite (we didn't eat at any of those), an arcade and putt putt (not free since this is not a Wyndham only resort).

2 Thank DillonFive
Greenville, MI
Reviewed April 10, 2011

We stayed at the resort from 4/02-4/09. We had found a great deal for a 1 bedroom unit online, and after reading the reviews on here we decided to book. We arrived about an hour before check in and our room was ready and waiting for us. Check in was a breeze and took less than 10 minutes. We were never approached by any resort salesman or anybody else the whole time we were there, which was very nice.

The room: This was a pretty big 1 bedroom unit, with plenty of space for storage. My wife and daughter just loved the jacuzzi. There was a slider to a nice big covered patio with 4 chairs, and flatscreen tvs in the bedroom and living room. I had called a few days before our arrival and requested a top floor, but was told they were out of them and was given a 3rd floor unit instead. We could hear every footstep the people above us took, especially at 7am EVERY morning! Aside from that we were VERY happy with the unit.

Grounds and pools: The common grounds areas were clean and well taken care of. There is a putt putt golf course and a playground for the kids. There aren't many sidewalks so you have to walk along the driveways to get to the pools and play areas. There are 2 outdoor pools and 2 indoor pools. The one heated outdoor pool and hot tub by the main check in area is the one we used most. They were clean and seemed to be well maintained and the kids had a blast. We never had a problem with the parking as I had read in previous reviews.

We had a great time in the area and at the resort and would come back in a heartbeat, especially if we could get the same deal we got this time!

Room Tip: Call ahead and ask for a room near the pool.
1 Thank lionsfan1971
Boiling Springs, South Carolina
Reviewed April 4, 2011

First recommendation to readers is ask for a room on the top floor! The only complaint I had with the room was the people above us made so much noise all hours of day of night we were awaken several times by what sounded like bowling balls being dropped on the floor!! I called the front desk after the second night night but it didn't resolve anything.
Several reviews will tell you to stay away from the restaurants on site and I will tend to agree. It is very overpriced and as my husband called it, at best it was high school cafeteria food. The cost is $18.99 per adult at the Thirsty Miner Saloon, but the kids eat free. After a long day traveling, we were tired and didn't feel like getting in the car again and I sure didn't want to cook my first night on vacation so we ate there. The kids loved it, it overlooks the waterpark, and it offers the usual kid friendly fare, but adults are left with few choices that are worthy of the $18.99 price tag.
All in all the trip was amazing!! We had a 3 bedroom deluxe, and the walk to the waterpark wasn't bad. The weather was nasty so we took the walk through the hotel so only about a 7 minute walk, but if the weather had been nice it would only take 2 to go outside. There is a deli shop with a Starbucks in the lobby which is a definate plus! Also a paint your own pottery place called Polka Dot Pots! The prices were GREAT!! Paint something by 4pm and its ready to be picked up by 11am the following day. They have lots to choose from and it gives you something to do besides the waterpark without spending alot of money.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank TippyToesSC
Derry, New Hampshire
Reviewed March 2, 2011

Travelled to the great smoky mountains with my family from NH. UPon check in they informed us of local stores for shopping, restaurants and other pertinent information in the town. We were handed our waterpark wristbands and informed the water park was open until 10pm. The waterpark has a large wavepool, indoor pool with basketball, indoor and outdoor hot tubs, a water park area for kids 6 and under and they also have water slides as well. They have 2 tube rides, a larger slide and then a "storm chaser" ride which is not for the faint of heart. Another big plus for the kids was the boogie board, surf board ride that made you feel like you were in the ocean. The resort also has mini golf and an arcade. For the adults they have a bar and a place for food.

The room was incredible as it had two BR with a balcony, full kitchen and flat screens in all rooms. The jacuzzi tub was perfect size and the beds were like clouds. The views from the room were beautiful and I am ready to go back to the smoky mountain. We went in the winter and it was still great weather and plenty to do for the whole family.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family