“Not as bad as it sounds....”

Douglas Lakeview Stables
More attraction details
Owner description: At Douglas Lakeview you’ll experience the smoky Mountains like never before. It doesn’t matter if you’ve never been horseback riding or if you’re an experienced rider, our wonderful trail rides are for you – you’ll be amazed at the breathtaking mountain views, lush greenery and serene waters of douglas Lake. Douglas Lake View Stables offers trail riding through scenic Smoky Mountain tours from one to four hours; longer tours are available if you call ahead. Horseback riding in the smoky Mountains at Douglas Lake View Stables is fun for couples or the entire family! Check out our horseback rates, we always have specials and watch for even better deals we strive to make our services affordable for everyone. We offer group discounts and even large family discounts. Guaranteed Best and Lowest Price In the Smokys!
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Im a local and have explored most of the local animal attractions...this place is, yes, quite a mess, but the service was good and guide was friendly. The horses seemed healthy but very messy and ungroomed. They were full of burrs. The horses we rode that day were excellent and well trained. The trail was a little rough, but it made it an interesting ride instead of a flat, boring trail.

The only big problem I observed was the grounds....it had potential to be great if it was just CLEANED UP!!! Too much junk laying around and dirty and cluttered. For locals, we are used to this around here, but I can understand that it is not very tourist friendly for a commercial business. Go ahead and visit them...they NEED the money!

2  Thank llamahiker
"vacation"
in 12 reviews
"brittany"

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I purchased a Groupon for a one-hour trail ride for four. My family and I rode on a beautiful fall afternoon with a very friendly and helpful trail guide. We enjoyed several nice views of the mountains and Douglas Lake. However I would give my overall experience a grade of C-. The facility has definitely seen better days. Buildings and equipment need upgrading and lots of TLC! The trails are dangerously eroded and, in my opinion, are not safe for small children or inexperienced riders. Additionally, two of the resident dogs are in very poor condition. The German Shepherd is obviously very sick and should have veterinary care. I believe an animal neglect investigation is much needed.

2  Thank Rowdy1950
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I wish that I had come to this site before buying a couplon from Groupon for this attraction.

Don't know if Rachel C went to the same stables - it sure doesn't sound like it. The stables were filthy, the office was filthy and the bathroom was disgusting. There is no scenery except for a small break in the trees at the very top of the hill! The owner is much too friendly. He kissed my visitor on the lips - I don't know if it is because we are older but we didn't respond the way we should have and just continued with our ride. The ride was a disaster as the horse I had would not move and half our time was spent trying to get him to.I was disappointed and embarrassed that I took my friend to this staple and agree that something should be done about the condition of these stables and the owners..

I advised Groupon of this situation and they gave me a $5.00 coupon. However, they still have this client. This makes it hard to trust the worth of Groupon coupons. Buyer beware!

7  Thank Lynn S
Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Worst ever! Animal rights needs to be called!! Manage on animals and NOTHING like it is pictured! Would never recommend to friends! Going down hill on rocks, is not pictured!

6  Thank Bear414266
See more reviews
Reviewed September 20, 2013

well it's apparent that Rachel C is either a employee or has been paid off to give a good review !! The place is NASTY !! The horses are malnourished , and in bad need of care. Their back bones and ribs were sticking out and to me that's not a healthy horse ! Maybe someone needs too ask why 5 horses have died there in the last few months ! The dogs are nasty and have bald spots on them , the owner Jim puts a whole new meaning to the phrase " Grumpy old man " Most of the pictures on this web site has to be photo shopped because there isn't one horse on the whole place that looks healthy. Something needs to be done about this place and the owner charged with animal cruelty and sit in jail !! Before you pay to ride ask to go look around the stables , you will leave when you see the condition of the place and the horses.

5  Thank beatriceh441