“One of my favorite wineries”
Review of Hillside Winery

and up
Day Tour: Moonshine and Wine Tasting from Gatlinburg
Ranked #8 of 85 things to do in Sevierville
More attraction details
Owner description: Featuring Italian Style and Bubbly wines with free tours and tastings.The second newest winery in the mountains of East Tennessee, right in the middle of one of America's favorite vacation spots: the Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, and Smoky Mountains Area! Come sample the excellence of our Italian style and Sparkling wines. Our educational and family friendly tours are a great way to learn about the wine making process! Tastings are always free and other Tennessee products are often available for sampling.
Roanoke, Virginia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“One of my favorite wineries”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Love the staff, love the wines...can't say enough good things about it. I took my mom here for her first trip and she loved the sweet wines. I adore the dry wines they offer and I've only had great experiences here...try it!

Ohio
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great wines, great info!”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I see a trend here... Everyone's wine "guy" or "gal" was the best ever. KEV takes the win, though. He was funny, knowledgeable, and just really made our experience great. The wines helped.

Hillside is just one of the stops on the Wine Tour by Rocky Top. Make sure you get one of their cards. I suggest starting at one of the other wineries though (Mountain Valley, Sugarland, Apple Barn) first, and making this one your third stop. On the tour, once you hit the third winery, you get a free wine glass. We ended up with glasses from Kev at Hillside for another reason, but were looking forward to completing our collection when we made our third winery stop, which was at Mountain Valley. We got our glasses at MV, but they were different (smaller, not as nice). Whatever -free is free and we weren't really in it for the glasses.

Back to Hillside... they have a really nice selection and had everything in stock too. That's helpful. I lean towards sweeter wines while my hubby likes the dry ones. They had ones we both could enjoy. We ended up leaving there with $100 in wine between the four of us (travelling with my parents), which I think just illustrates the awesome job Kev did.

Oh - VETS - be sure to ask for your discount. With the discount, we ended up getting six wines for $10.49 each. Amazing!

COLUMBIA, SC
3 attraction reviews
“Justin was great!”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We were traveling and decided to stop and do the winery tour on our way to Gatlinburg. We had such a great time with Justin at the Hillside Winery. He was very funny and had a wonderful personality. He knew all the wines and could tell us anything we needed to know about them. Great place and great service. We will def go back.

South Whitley, Indiana, United States
“James for the Win!”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We stop at Hillside as our final trip along the Winery Tour. My wife, who doesn't like wine, was impressed by the taste of all their wines, especially the Black and Blue Sangria Freezer. James, our host of sorts, was fantastic! He guided us through the list of wines, getting us to sample even the ones we thought our taste buds wouldn't enjoy. As someone who usually on,y like sweet reds, I found many of the wines were very enjoyable, al, of the drys, semi-sweet, sweets, and the freezers. My absolute favorite was the Black and Blue; James presentation of aloof the wines was superb. he should be the one who trains the rest of the crew!

Mansfield, Ohio
“James needs a promotion!”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

My husband and I were attempting to kill an afternoon during our 7 day vacation to Gatlinburg so we stopped at a local winery for some samples and to do a tour. They mentioned they had a "winery tour" going on where, if you visited all of their local wineries, you would get souvenir wine glasses. We figured why the heck not and off we went. We went to 2 places prior to Hillside and each of the people pouring the samples seemed inconvenienced to have to be talking to us. The experience was very uneventful and we really were in it just for the glasses. All that changed after we met James at Hillside. He was incredibly friendly and seemed genuinely excited to take us on a journey tasting all of their wines they offered. He was incredibly knowledgable about the different assortment of wines. His co-workers were even chiming in and making it feel more like a friendly get together than a stranger pouring wine as his job. We had no intention of buying anything when we were there and even though there was absolutely no pressure from James to get anything we felt what they had to offer at that location was better than anything else we had tried so we ended up getting a case-3 of the months special (Don Rosso) and 3 Black & Blue along with a Sangria Freezer. After the case discount and the veteran's discount they came out to just over $10 a bottle-you can't beat that! We told James before we left that he was great and really made us feel like it was so much more than just a simple sampling of wine, it was an experience and one that we enjoyed very much. After my husband and I left we were talking about it and we both said that James should be in charge of training all of the other people that giveout samples since he was so much better at it than anyone else we had come across. Hopefully this review gets back to his manager or supervisor or even the owner so they know what a gem they have with him. We did finally finish our tour and we came home with souvenir glasses which was cool, but after 5 locations and SEVERAL samples of wine, all we can talk about is James! Keep up the good work :-)

Visited April 2013