“Wilderness was amazing”

Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Sevierville
Port Orange, Florida
“Wilderness was amazing”
Reviewed February 25, 2011

Wilderness at the Smokies provides fun for all! Let me begin with the check in process- slightly excessive, but there was alot of information! Upon entering your room it is dark but it is a "wilderness theme". Rooms are small but what can you expect with a resort so large. Now onto the waterpark!!! Let me just say wow!!!!! I never though teenagers could be so focused, driven and self motivated. They were professional and were constantly making people get out of the hot tub. It took a brief smile from the lifeguards at the top of the slide to make my kids smile! My daugther scraped her knee and we went to first aid...what a good crew you have staffed in there! They were sweet to her and made her laugh! Keep up the good work waterpark staff!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (725)
  • Thai first
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed February 21, 2011

We stayed at the Wilderness at the Smokies Presidents Day weekend with our 2 year old and I have to say we were pleasantly surprised. We had read the reviews and set our expectations accordingly. This is a kids water park not the Four Seasons.
We arrived around 2PM on Friday and check-in was seamless. When my husband picked up our parking pass he politely declined the information about the timeshare and we had no issues.
There were lots of luggage carts available to get our bags to the room. Our room was located on the 4th floor, was very clean and everything was included as advertised. We could not figure out the air, but ran into a maintenance person who offered to go to our room right then with my husband and showed him what we needed to do. When we called for more towels they arrived immediately. Our room was not cleaned until later in the day but was cleaned every day and everything was restocked.
There were kids running through the halls until about 11 each night but it was really not that bad. I also do want to point out that there are HUGE signs by the elevators that say no running, so to a certain extent the hotel is trying.
The only meal we ate at the hotel was breakfast and it was fine. The snacks in the lobby "deli" were expensive but there is plenty of storage in the rooms and we had brought our own. I would suggest bringing a roll of paper towels, plastic cups or soap to wash cups/utensils, etc.. as none of those items are provided in the room.
The water park itself was clean, towels were provided, there was lots of seating and lots of staff if you had questions. The restrooms had showers and lockers and were also very clean.
We hope to return this Summer to check out the outdoor water park as well!

Greenville
Reviewed February 20, 2011

We arrived here on a Friday around 2:30, the check in time for the rooms is 4 pm. Our room was ready and the check in process was smooth. They do send you to someone to talk about timeshares to get your parking pass. My husband said nicely that we were not interested, she gave us our parking pass and some coupons. We then went up to our room, we stayed in the basic room with two queen beds and a balcony. It was your average room, however very very clean. My seven year old son was so excited to go to the indoor water park, so off we went. We had an awesome time and spent time there every day we were there. I had read some of the other reviews of kids running and being loud.........hello you are at a hotel with an indoor water park. I am sure most people here have children with them. We asked for extra pillows and they were in our room before we got back. We had an awesome time and we will be back. My seven year old son said this place is so awesome!!!!!!

Why, Arizona
Reviewed February 20, 2011

Okay. In a nutshell the Wilderness at the Smokies is a KIDS resort. I do not think that this resort is geared towards adults but neither is Disney World. The people who are giving it a bad rating because of the rooms or having to shuttle from the hotel across the street, neglected to add that they chose to take the cheap way out. The rooms at Stones River are cheaper but it specifically states this in advertisement that you have to be inconvienced by walking or taking the shuttle across the street to the BETTER waterpark. My only complaint were the dirty carpets in the hallway but then it is a waterpark....think they should have rethought when designing on the floors.

I enjoyed myself here. My kids had an awesome time and that made me smile. I enjoyed a dacquiri while the kids played, very relaxing despite all the children there. The rooms were fine, we barely even spent anytime in it. We were gone all the time. I have all boys so this was a great trip for them. It was a nightmare trying to keep up with them because the park is so big but other than that, I believe that 3 days is a good amount of time. You are going to want to visit other attractions in the city.

The prices of the food and restaurant are rediculous though. Kids eat free but they neglect to tell you that each adults entree is 29 or 39, cant remember for the buffet. plus drinks and tip and gratuity. The convenient store there is over priced as well, so I suggest stopping at the store and picking up late night drinks and snacks for the kids. Each room as a refridgerator.

Overall I would recommend this waterpark to anyone who is planning a family getaway with kids. The mountains a great place to escape. There are some wonderful restaurants in the area and other things to do.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Garnkids
Abingdon, Virginia
Reviewed February 20, 2011

The Good: Hmm, I'm drawing a blank here... Although the registration clerk was sweet even though it was rather busy at check-in.
The Bad: Service, Cleanliness, Cost/Value, Waterpark

Our group of 4 visited for my daughter's 13th birthday. When we arrived in our room at 4:30 after registering at Noon and playing at the waterpark for a couple of hours we were rather surprised to find out we had no towels in our room. Not even a washcloth or hand towel. I dialed the front desk and was told that 'oops sometimes housekeeping runs out of towels and they would have some sent to our room.' An hour later I walked down to the front desk and asked in person when we could expect towel because we were all wanting to shower before heading out to dinner. The clerk looked in a log book and apparently our call hadn't been recorded so she had to resubmit our request for towels that our room never had to begin with! It took another hour before they were delivered to our room. Then later that night I got up to use our restroom only to find out that we were completely out of toliet paper and there were no spare rolls in the room! At 2 in the morning I had to walk down to the front desk again to make sure I would be getting a roll of TP. On top of these lovely experiences there was a urine stain on the floor underneath our commode, dirty tissues between the bed and night stand and someones soda pop in our fridge. Oh and the sheets for the sofa bed actually had rips in them. Overall worst hotel experience I have EVER had and a very disappointing way to spend $$$ for my daughter's birthday.

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank Newlife276

Travelers are raving about these Sevierville hotels

Holt, Michigan
Reviewed February 17, 2011

We arrived on the Thursday afternoon after New Year's Eve. We were not given the sales pitch to get our parking pass that some were. That may have been because occupancy was low the week after the holiday season ended or the sales office (which is right by the front desk) was closed.

They were taking down the Christmas decorations, but it was beautiful. Our room was the Jr. Suite on the water park side of the resort (if you want to be able to walk to the indoor water park, make sure you're booked on that side of the resort). I guess, because of the time of year, our average cost per night was $179. Pretty reasonable compared to their usual rates. We stayed three nights.

The water park is nice but small. The lines during this week were very short and we blew through everything pretty quickly. I'm sure, during peak season, the lines are longer and you don't get through everything as fast. Our two-year-old loved the toddler area and really loved the slide.

The actual room was comfortable and everything is nice. Just a note, the Jr. Suite has a kitchenette, but they don't provide plates or cookware in this room. The pull out couch is just large enough for one and my daughter seemed to think it was comfortable. Our lone complaint is the silly thermostat system. You have to keep a key in a slot in order to control the heating and air system. Even though we kept the key in the wall and it seemed to be engaged properly, we never figured out how to work the thermostat. It got a little warm in our room late at night, so we just cracked the patio door for a bit.

One note about noise, if the people upstairs are walking, it sounds like the ceiling is falling in. I thought there had to be a thunderstorm in the area (it was snowing) because of the thunderous noise coming from above us. Luckily, we didn't hear it at night, but while my daughter was napping in the afternoon, it was startling.

The food was decent and at MUCH less expensive than theme park prices. The snack bar in the water park area offers free drink refills, too!

Two nights here are plenty. If you're doing a long stay in the area, I'd book two nights here and two nights at a cheaper place nearby. Three nights was just one too many.

Also, just a note about the time of year. Most of the fun stuff to do in the area (shows, etc) are closed for the two weeks after the new year. We didn't know that and we were really disappointed.

Overall, fun visit. We enjoyed ourselves. It was little expensive for a weekend getaway, but good fun was had by all. And no, the indoor park is not comparable in size or selection to any ourdoor park we've been to, just so you know.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Janie S
Knoxville, Tn
Reviewed February 7, 2011

We stayed recently with 5 teenage girls (birthday party). We had an executive king that slept 8, including 2 trundle beds. The room was very spacious and we loved the fact that the king bed was in a separate room, meaning a getaway for parents. The price is a little steep, but the waterpark makes it a decent deal. We liked the fact that you can get in the park at noon on the day you arrive and can stay the entire next day, even after you checkout. I have read some complaints about kids running in the halls, but this hotel is for families so this has to be expected. I would not recommend for honeymooners. We did not eat on property and our check in went very smoothly. Our one complaint was the heat and air. They had removed the control knobs so you cannot adjust the temp. The heat kicked on at 2 a.m. and we were literally sweating. We opened up the window and compensated, but just not the best night sleep. Overall we were satisfied and would stay again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sevierville
Resort at Governor's Crossing
Margaritaville Island Hotel
Margaritaville Island Hotel
#8 of 91 in Pigeon Forge
Baymont Inn & Suites Sevierville Pigeon Forge

Been to Wilderness at the Smokies Resort? Share your experiences!