“I loved it...I don't know what's wrong with these other people.”

Wilderness at the Smokies Resort
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Sevierville
Knoxville, Tennessee
“I loved it...I don't know what's wrong with these other people.”
Reviewed June 24, 2010

Just got back from a weekend at the Wilderness at the Smokies. And I can say that I loved it and would go back in a heartbeat.

I had read a lot of the reviews on here and was very wary about making my reservations because it seemed like everyone was down on the place. But after passing it several times on my way to Pigeon Forge, it looked like too much fun to pass up so I decided to bite the bullet and give it a try.

We stayed at the "bigger" resort with the indoor AND outdoor waterparks. There is a smaller and somewhat cheaper resort that is beside the one we were at with a smaller outdoor water park. They are BOTH Wilderness at the Smokies and a free shuttle goes back and forth between the two so you can go to each of the waterparks if you want.

Check in was at 4pm, but we got there around noon and they went ahead and gave us our keys and told us that we could begin using the waterparks and they call my cell when the room was ready to check in (turned out to be about 2:30). Check in people were very nice, though there was a line, but what do you expect?

I had read that the food that is sold there is expensive, so we brought a lot of our own stuff to make sandwiches and snack on if we needed it (though we had to leave this in the car cause they don't allow coolers or "outside" food in the waterpark). This was irritating, but no waterpark or amusement park lets you do this, so again, I'm not going to complain.

The rooms were amazing. We had 10 people of all ages and they were all blown away by the rooms. Were the rooms expensive? Oh yeah. BUT I priced how much it would cost to get all of us into Dollywood's SplashCountry and then to get us rooms for the night and in the long run we saved at least $100-200 by going to Wilderness at the Smokies.

But in the long run, the reason that I loved it so much, regardless of price or anything else, was that I got to spend time with my family and my kids. My kids had a BLAST! They could do most of the stuff on their own (even the youngest at age 7) which let me relax with the wife, but they also couldn't wait to "go down the big slide with dad". As cheesy as it sounds, their smiles made it all worthwhile.

I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (727)
  • Thai first
Blue Ridge, Georgia
Reviewed June 20, 2010

We have stayed here twice with family, teenagers and small children. The goals seem two-fold: business and pool areas. Those accomodate very different people. Business people will git typically be the ones who go to the pools. I sent an email after our last stay because the walk from the rooms to the lobby was so extensive (not good for handicapped or even small kids; have to ride a trolley to the lower park), have to purchase over-priced water and snacks in the gift shop or restaurant instead of having available vending machines. I was told that there would be no refund but I could look on-line for any coupons in the future. We will not stay there anymore--paid $200 for a view of the road, two beds. Head to The Resort at Gov Crossing--the best people, 3 indoor and 3 outfoor pools, half the price, suite rooms for all, kitchen, balcony, steps from the pools.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Sevierville hotels

Duluth, Georgia
Reviewed June 8, 2010

The hotel/resort is very nice, well maintained, and fun for kids. It's nice that they provide lifevests, tubes and towels for use at the pools / waterrides. As a healthcare worker, I cannot help but wonder about infection control? The resort is very expensive, but probably worth it, since it has three water attractions and other activities on site. However, watch your bill. Also, they may put unnecessary extra holds on your credit card that take forever to drop off. The housekeepers would change out your dirty towels, but do not restock much else.

Tennessee
Reviewed June 7, 2010

I really don't understand where all the complaints are coming from. This place is awesome. Granted, it is expensive but what you are paying for, it is worth it in the long run. The Resort is beautiful. It reminded me of the Wilderness Lodge at Disney World. It was very clean and well kept. We stayed at the condo/lodge and it was very nice. We had the two room deluxe suite. The bedroom- room was a little smaller than I would have liked but it was big enough for our stay and definately had ample bedding for sleep. Our children loved the bunk bed! The waterpark was wonderful. Everyone was friendly and helpful and was there to answer any question or need that we had. I was amazed at how well it maintained. The lazy river was the best I have ever been in and the wave pool was the absolute best I have ever seen!! It was AWESOME!! It was like being in the ocean without the seaweed. We took the van up to the outdoor waterpark at the hotel and the drivers were extremely friendly and pleasant. We never had to wait for a ride, they were constantly dropping off and picking up. Our overall trip was wonderful. Yes, it was somewhat noisy in the halls but my goodness, it is a waterpark resort geared toward children. If you don't like the sound of children enoying themselves, stay at home. The price is a little high, especiall in today's economy, but based on everything else it is no more expensive than anywhere else, when figuring in what all you get. We will definately be going back.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank utvolfans
Maryville, Tennessee
Reviewed June 3, 2010

DON'T DO IT! I live locally and wanted to take a mini vacation over memerial day weekend. Being one of the newest attractions in the Smoky Montains we wanted to try The Wilderness. Boy was that a mistake! At $390 a night (before taxes, $440 after) for the one bedroom deluxe I felt we should have everything we need for a good time. The first sign of trouble was realized after checking in. The elevators are so small that it was all it could handle to fit our family of three and a luggage cart. When the doors closed there was less than 2 inches clearance for the luggage as there was not enough room to turn the cart in the elevator. It may not seem like an issue but remember that everyone checks out at the same time and eventually a line to get into the elevators form as it can only handle one family at a time (maybe). The next sign that this was not the kind of hotel one should get for over $400 a night is when I went to the concierge (actually a Wyndham time share salesman; whole other issue) to find some Tylenol after not finding any in the souvenier shop or deli. After looking in a first aid kit he said he had something in his lunch box if I wanted him to go get it. ARE YOU KIDDING ME! $400 a night and there is not even so much as a Tylenol in the building.

Not allowed to check in until 4 PM it wasn't long before we had to leave the waterpark and eat dinner. There is only one resteraunt in the building which made Shoney's look like a 5 star resteraunt. The hotel offers complete meals delivered to the room, but after going to the buffet resteraunt we realized that the options of the room delivered meals are the same as those on the buffet (pizza, BBQ, chicken, or pasta). Being the trouble maker that my wife is, she actaully ordered a steak off the menu. 45 Minutes later she got her steak and it still was not fully cooked. This was the final straw. At this point I realized I had been ripped off and could not wait to leave.

If you really want to have fun at a water park in the Smokies. Find a really nice hotel and spend your day at Splash Country. The water park is ten times better and there are other places to stay for the same kind of money that knows how to treat people spending hard earned cash.

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 3, 2010

We stayed here from Wed 5/26 - Sun 5/29 in Stone Hill Lodge. We had a double queen room with sofa sleeper. The room was very spacious and the decor had a nice "wilderness" feel. The comfortable sofa is set in an area at the end of the room with a long coffee table, and there is also a small dining table and two chairs. This makes for a nice living space. The room also had a small fridge, coffee maker and microwave. The room and all the common areas were very clean, and the beds were super comfy. Our son loved the arcades and water parks. This resort is in a great location - 30 min. to Knoxville and just a short drive to Pigeon Forge, Gaitlinburg and the Great Smoky Mountains. The service was great and everyone was so friendly. We loved it and would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank DI-mom
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed May 31, 2010

My best friend and I wanted to surprise our kids with an end of school year mini-vacation. The Wilderness offered BOGO room rates in the month of May. We stayed at the Riverlodge and it was beautiful. The kids had so much and so did we. This will be a yearly event. My 14 year old son had a ball also. The only negative was the indoor restaurant at the resort. It was not worth the money. We ate better food at other locations in the city. Overall, the Wilderness is the best waterpark resort we've ever visited.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank lovnlife38
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sevierville
Resort at Governor's Crossing
Baymont Inn & Suites Sevierville Pigeon Forge
Music Road Resort Hotel
Music Road Resort Hotel
#16 of 91 in Pigeon Forge

Been to Wilderness at the Smokies Resort? Share your experiences!