“Enjoyed everything”

Wilderness at the Smokies Resort
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Sevierville
Reviewed May 29, 2009

I took my Grandsons there for New Years 2009. They and I had a great time. Being new the rooms were in excellent condition. The waterpark had only been open for 2 weeks when we were there but everything was running very smoothly. There was some on going construction but did not interfere with the activiies. The ouddoors part of the waterpark is now open and we have reservations for a return trip at the end of July 09. Always check the internet for specials to help with the cost. Their web site is very well done and photos show a real look at the Resort as it is now.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank WTAPap
Write a ReviewReviews (2,728)

Reviewed May 26, 2009

This was our second trip to Wilderness. We went opening day and were disappointed in the resort (wrote a review) because things were not completed so we were given a free weekend to come back. Understand that the resort is a work in progress even though it is open. There is still construction. Also the waterpark area is not all in one area. The first time we went we stayed in the Convention Center building because that was all that was there. There is a water area that has more for younger children called Salamander Springs. It is outdoor. This time we stayed in the newer second building attached to the indoor waterpark. There is a shuttle you can take between the two but if you have older kids (8 and up) I'd try to get a room here. There is the indoor waterpark as well as a lazy river and wave pool outside. Everything is clean and maintained well and very pretty. Just realize the water areas aren't all in one place. Also the building is only 4 stories high but the corridors are the length of a football field. If you have someone in your group that has difficulty walking, be sure to stay on the end closest to the indoor waterpark or you could be up to 2 football fields away. My biggest complaint is that this resort is not convenient to Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg. It is located in Severeville closer to I-40. If you plan on doing lots of activities in PF or Gatlin. the drive will be long, especially in high traffic times. Basically if you stay here it is just to stay at the resort most of the time. The resort is nice but I don't plan on returning because I'd rather stay in a place closer to the action and there are nice places with nice pool areas that would satisfy my kids that are much cheaper and closer to everything.

Reviewed May 26, 2009

The outdoor water parks were not opened yet, which was great with us. We chose this place because it was new, and we just wanted a nice place to stay while we visited the area. The room was fantastic, which you would expect of a new place. There was nobody there, so we can't say if it was noisy. The quiet was awesome, and not likely the way it will be when the waterparks are open, but I know from experience that if you don't like noise, don't go to a place that caters to kids. We did not need pools, spas, fitness centers or meals. We chose this place BECAUSE the parks weren't open. Room was clean, comfortable and cozy. It was our "base camp" for a wonderful stay in the area.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2009

We just got back from Wilderness and I have to say that I was pretty skeptical after reading reviews on this board. After arriving, all of my skepticism was put to rest. The place is fantastic. I have been to many of the Great Wolf Lodges as well as other indoor waterpark resorts in Sandusky, OH and in the Wisconsin Dells. I would say that this one was just as nice as the Great Wolf Lodges I have been to.

Check in was a breeze. We arrived (on a holiday weekend) before check in, and our room was ready and waiting for us. We stayed in the newer building that is attached to the indoor waterpark. It was a great location. Yes, the hotel has a long hallway, but it is a waterpark, you are going to be doing a lot of walking.

Our room was perfect. Very clean and a nice layout. It was an efficiency room so it was laid out like a basic hotel room with a couch, table, microwave, fridge and a range. Everything was in perfect working order. We had lots of towels, and my son was very impressed with the hotel's "green" initiatives and the extra key they provide which allowed the electricity to be turned on & turned off when we were in or not in the room.

The waterparks were great. We went to both the indoor and the new outdoor ones. We were so busy in our 2 day stay that we never even made it over to the older outdoor waterpark. There was a brief time when the waterpark ran short on towels, but that was resolved within 10 minutes and was not a big deal at all.

My only negative comment was not actually about the hotel itself but rather the guests who stayed there who felt it was ok to just drop their trash (candy wrappers, crackers, gum, etc) on the stairway for someone else to clean up. On 3 different occasions, I noticed this and was disgusted that kids and/or parents would feel that it was ok to do such a thing. The hotel did a great job quickly cleaning up the messes that a few disgusting people left. It was truly a shame to see guests treating the new hotel in such a manner.

In all, we would definitely recommend this hotel as a great place to stay while in the area.

Reviewed May 24, 2009

The kids really loved this place. The weather was perfect for the outdoor areas. The staff was always willing to help. There is plenty of things to do if you like water. For the young and old.

Reviewed May 20, 2009

We took a school group for an end of year trip. We stayed one night and got to play in the water park 2 days. We had a 2 bedroom suite that slept 15. We had 10 teenage girls and 3 adults. The rooms were comparable to condos we have stayed at in Colorado. The kids liked the bunk beds, flat screen tvs and balconies. We cooked dinner and breakfast in the room. My only complaint about the kitchen was that it was dark. We kept looking for more light switches. We had everything we needed pots, pans, utensiles. The coffee pots were rather small, mediocre coffee supplied by the resort. I thought the rooms were clean and we had plenty of towels. We had a problem with the interior doors slamming shut, then not being able to get through since there are no door handles on the kitchen side. The girls had set the dead bolt then let the interior door shut behind them. We had to get security to open our door, then we kept chairs to prop the doors open.

The girls had a blast in the water park. The storm chaser was a favorite, wait was much shorter on Sunday when a lot of people had checked out. The lazy river was open outdoors a week earlier than advertised since the weather was so nice. There were very nice cabanas to rent that looked brand new. We didn't see how much they cost. You aren't allowed to bring any food or drinks of your own. Pizza from snack bar was ok. I was surprised that alcohol was sold in the water area. There were a lot of people walking around with beer bottles and frozen cocktails. It seemed strange to me since the water area is more for kids.

We had a grand opening promotional rate of $469. Our suite normally runs $599. It was really nice, but I don't think I would go back and spend that much money. I didn't think the guests in the water park looked like the type that would spend that much money for one night.

• Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed May 19, 2009

We had a great time here! This was our family vacation for the year and I have to say we all had a fun time. We spent Friday, Saturday and part of Sunday there. The only negatives I have are that the towels are a little rough and not very soft, and watch out when you walk at the end of the bed, you will hit your shins! Ouch! I would recommend this place to anyone! The tube rides are a lot of fun. We went on them several times. I hope you have as much fun as we did!