“great place!”

Wilderness at the Smokies Resort
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Sevierville
Reviewed January 21, 2009

We loved this place! We went the first week the indoor waterpark was opened and were impressed at how well it was run. Our kids (and us) loved the rides. It is not a huge place, but there are rides for everyone from the little kids (play area for those under 4years), the bigger kids (loved the wave pool, the play area with the "dump bucket", and the two twisting tube rides that they could ride with the parents), the thrill seekers (the continuous wave ride was a big hit - surf or boogie board over and over again - very fun to try to conquer...and the "storm chaser" ride has a great drop in it that will catch you off guard), and anyone else (the indoor/outdoor hot tub is a great place to relax). I loved that they all ended at the same place so we could keep our eyes on everyone, and we didn't have to walk forever from ride to ride. Also, very short lines!! We have been to Dollywood's Splash Country and spent half the day in line. Others talked about the shuttle ride to the park. That is only if you stay at the hotel. Stay at the lodge and you can walk inside to the water park-it's great! Life guards everywhere. Everyone was friendly and helpful. Food was just so/so (we only tried the pizza), but if you stay at the lodge, you can just head back to your room and eat there.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank redthreadUsa
Write a ReviewReviews (2,655)

Reviewed January 21, 2009

My parents bought our entire family a trip to Wilderness at the Smokies as a Christmas present. We stayed in the large Family Suite - sleeps 15. We arrived on Saturday afternoon and left Monday morning. Our room was clean, spacious and had plenty of towels! The hotel staff were extremely nice, very helpful and plentiful. The indoor waterpark was loads of fun. We had ages 4-68 and all enjoyed themselves. The 4 year old was allowed to ride the slides along with an adult. The wave pool, slides, playground and my personal favorite - the hot tub - were great. I will definately return - bringing my family and friends. I would reccommend it to anyone that likes water parks. If you don't like waterparks, don't like crowds and don't like waiting in lines - then this isn't the place for you. Although I thought the hotel suite was wonderful - the draw is clearly the waterpark.

Reviewed January 20, 2009

Just got back from a three night stay along with my husband, son age 10, daughter (3), and nephew (13). I have to honestly say that we all loved the resort. We stayed in a two room lockout unit with a full size kitchen.The living room area had a sofa bed, a pull down bed, three chairs, flat screen tv, dvd player, and a fireplace. The bed room had a full size bunk bed on bottom and twin on top, a sofa bed, dvd player and a flat screen tv. The room had two beautiful full baths. We didn't encounter the problems so many other reviewers talked about. I am a very particular mom who wants an EXTREMELY clean enviroment for my children and this place exceeded my expectations!! The water park was very nice and extremely clean. Most of the lifeguards were great with the kids. They made an extra effort to help everyone (young & old) on the flow-rider; which is worth seeing for a great laugh. We ate at the grill the first night and the food was good. I think the price is comparable to most resorts or nice restaruants. We all ate for $60 plus a tip. There is a Kroger about a mile down the road so just grab some things and fix your food in the room! Dishes and all cookwear at your finger tips! We travel a lot and have stayed in some of the best and most beautiful places and still would go back here in a heartbeat. The staff, including housekeeping were all great. I guess anyone can nick-pick a place. Just keep in mind how many guests are there and compare that to staff members. I found if you be patient and kind they will go above and beyond to make your stay with them the best for your family!!!
We have also stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge three times and feel that both of these resorts go above and beyond for families!!
Give it a try! I'm glad we did!

Reviewed January 20, 2009

Website and booking reservation: The website is certainly not detailed enough. I had to call the hotel several times before our arrival with questions that were not addressed on the site. Also, just because our rooms slept 15 people, the occupancy was only for 5. There fore, we had to pay a load for an additional 9 people. Thus, the Grand Opening special wasn't so special after all.

Check In: This was pretty quick, however, our agent was very rude. He had that 'like it or lump it' attitude. He was a real jefk when we reminded him that we had requested to be next door to our friends that were checking in as well. He told us that it wasn't an option and was a real jerk. He basically gave us keys and bracelets and sent us on our way. He gave NO info that might be helpful to us during our stay. It would have been nice to have a list of restaurants, services, costs, waterpark rules, etc. at our fingertips.
Oh, there was only ONE elevator that serviced all the people checking in. Whoa!! Terrible to have to wait that long for an elevator. This was not thought out in the planning very well.

Room: We loved our rooms. We had the 2 bedroom premier which was plenty big enough for 14 of us. Everything was clean. The kitchen was stocked with everything we needed. We had plenty of linens and towels. The decor was warm and welcoming.

Waterpark: WOW what a fun time for adults and kids in the middle of winter. There's a 42 inch height requirement that seems to be the 'magic height requirement' to have the most fun on the water slides and the Surf Rider. You actually have to be 48 inches to ride the 4-man rafting slide. Even on the smaller slides, kids who are 42 inches must ride with and adult that is 48 inches or taller. They were strict with these rules.
Kids were allowed to wear goggles but NO arm floaties were allowed. They provided life jackets.
They seemed to be very inefficient with the line of people waiting for the Surf Rider. There was always a really long wait to do that.
Unfortunately, there were about 4 KNOWN 'poop incidents' in the wave pool and hot tube within the first 48 hours we were there. While it first appeared that the staff took this seriously, one member of our party saw 'poop' in the wave pool. When he told the lifeguard, NOTHING was done. Ummm........we did not return to the wave pool the rest of our stay.
Oh, if you remove your armband, be sure to save it. One of our chldren removed hers and we had to dig it out of the trash before they would give us another one. It would not have been a big deal had we known to keep it.

Food: We ate at the Thirsty......something.......on the second floor one night for dinner. The buffet is $14.99 for adults and $7.99 for children. The food was really good and plently choices for the kids. It also overlooks the waterpark area.

OVERALL: The staff was ridiculously RUDE and so NOT helpful. One exception was the lady in the gift shop. I wish I looked at her name tag. The lifeguards were young and somewhat irresponsible. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The waterpark was a lot of fun.

2  Thank topoaktre
Reviewed January 20, 2009

I booked my trip without reading any of these reviews. A friend found this site and told me I should read these before we go. I was very scared to go after reading all these bad reviews, but I had already booked and was not within the time frame to get a full refund, so we went anyway. I am so glad we did. The people who wrote all this stuff must be mad at the world and could not be happy anywhere. The entire staff was very friendly and our room was very nice and clean. The water pressure in the shower was excellent. The room was not very big but it was not much smaller than I expected so that was ok. I don't go on a vacation to sit in a hotel room. If you don't get a multiroom suite then you do stay up on the hill away from the park, but I didn't really think that was a huge deal. If you have the extra money to spend, then staying in the same building would be great. I would recommend getting in the pool area early to get a lounge chair if you plan on relaxing while your kids play. The person who was complaining about the lockers, I don't see why anyone would rent a locker. We left our bag on our chair the whole time, 3 days in a row with our camera, cell phones, etc, in there and no one bothered it. I would not have rented a locker. My kids are 3 and 6 and they had a blast. They were never bored at all. We found the two big rides very fun and the lines were never very long to ride. The flow rider was very fun for the adults too and the hot tub was the best. If my kids were much older I could see that they would get bored but for younger kids, it was a great time. We stayed the weekend and that was a good amount of time. We will go again for sure.

1  Thank pc1998
Reviewed January 19, 2009

We just back today from a 2 night stay at the Wilderness at Smokies.
Here are the CONS..
1) Beware...if you are staying in a regular room ,the indoor park is a shuttle ride away. Fine in the summer. But awful with wet swimsuits in the winter. It is not like the Great Wolf Lodge, where you can just walk to the indoor park.However, if you are with atleast 2/3 families, you get to stay at the multi-room lodge which is connected to the indoor water park.
2) The lockers are 1 dollar for EVERYTIME they are opened. So if you forgot your goggles you have to pay another dollar to get in.
Very inconvinient, they take coins only.
3) The locker room is large , with no benches to sit on or hooks to hang your clothes. You basically have to put down a towel to change.
4) The towels are slightly larger than a kitchen towel ??!You need 2 to dry off.
5) Not too many slides or rides.

PROS..
LOVED the hottub which connects to the outside. It was an experience to sit in hot water with your head in freezing cold.

Stayed: January 2009
3  Thank SheilaKentucky
Reviewed January 11, 2009

I called the Wilderness at the Smokies to check about their "online Grand Opening discount". $199. a night for the cheapest (which included indoor waterpark price) 2 night min. The check-in time at 4pm & check out 11am.

This was a little pricey for our family of 4 for limited time stay & water park usage. But I was looking for something for indoor fun for our kidsin the winter.So I asked if they allowed waterpark visits without staying the night, and the reservationist said yes if we were "local" (show our DL) we could buy a wristband for $14.95 for all day. I said GREAT! I would like to bring my kids for my child's b'day next weekend could I go ahead & plan for this. She said she would transfer me to the front desk to check availability.

When I made the inquiry to the front desk supervisor he told me that I had to have a "coupon" to get in. I told him that reservations told me that since I was local, we could show our DL and use the waterpark. He replied once again that I would have to have a coupon. I asked him where do I get a coupon? He then told me that the coupons had "probably" all been given out at the grand opening. I asked him probably? What does that mean? He said that there "probably" wasn't any more coupons.

I told him that I didn't understand & that I had been told 2 different things. He wasn't the least bit concerned & tried to quickly get rid of me. I told him that I would write about this on TripAdvisor......his reply? "Fine"

Needless to say...we won't be making reservations or visiting with or without a Coupon!!

Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family