“Fun-filled time, well worth the money and delightful exhaustion!”

Wilderness at the Smokies Resort
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Sevierville
Reviewed February 19, 2014

This was my second visit to Wilderness at the Smokies. It is a great time away. I think that guests should be informed of any activities that will be taking place during their stay that may impact the peacefulness of the visit. The only drawback this visit was the extremely loud rock band underneath my room until 1030 pm. After a full day, that's the last thing you want to retire to. Otherwise we had a beautiful 10th birthday celebration for my daughter! She was all smiles!

Room Tip: The rooms at Stone Lodge are a bit larger. The shuttle is great. They come quickly and frequently...
3  Thank E R

Reviewed February 18, 2014

My daughter played in the big volleyball tournament held at the attached convention center during early February and this was designated as the team hotel...I say this because #1 this is where we had to stay and #2 we had decent rates ($143 per night with all taxes included)...I would not want to pay more for this hotel.

We had to wait about 10 minutes to check in and had a friendly experience with the girl who helped us. Our room was decent...clean and updated...beds were on the smaller side but we were fine...we DID bump into the wooden posts on the ends of the bed several times! The rooms were strangely on the dark side with not enough light and the wifi was inconsistent. I also found it odd they had a stove-top with no cooking utensils...though this didn't bother me because I wasn't planning on doing any cooking over the weekend. They had a timely shuttle that delivered us to and from the convention center up the hill which was nice. My 5-yr-old had a blast at the indoor waterpark and would be perfectly happy going back to this hotel for any vacation...we had no issues with big lines or rude guests/children...she loved it all!

My biggest problem was the restaurant....we were stuck eating breakfast there for two mornings...we SHOULD have gone somewhere else on day two but we were running late for her early game time and just decided to suffer through it again! #1...I prefer hotels that have the free breakfast included, and if it would have been one of those, I wouldn't have been quite so disappointed, although it still wouldn't have been acceptable. It was too expensive for the breakfast buffet ($14 per person) and it just wasn't very good...not a great selection and not very tasty/fresh...the servers were friendly though. And no...we did NOT attempt going there for dinner.

Overall our stay was fine and our 4-yr-old totally enjoyed the indoor waterpark. It was early February, with snow on the ground, so all of the outside waterpark attractions were closed...it looked like that would be fun during warmer weather. I wouldn't jump at the chance to go back but I would stay there again with decent rates...just definitely go OUT for breakfast! :)

Room Tip: If you have kids, you will definitely want to stay in the part connected to the water park for conve...
1  Thank DisneyMomOf3Girls
Reviewed February 17, 2014

It is unfortunate that I must write this review because my family used to LOVE going here.

Last week I booked a weekend trip to the Wilderness as a surprise for our son's 9th birthday. The booking process was normal (booked it online with no trouble). The next day, I went to check on my reservation and noticed that they had a bunk room available (was not available the day before) for the same price that I had paid for the "queen" studio room. I immediately called the resort to see if they would switch my room (as I have done with other hotels in the past) and immediately received a rude response that they would not change it because it was not the room I originally booked. It was the same price and I did not see the problem, but apparently they did not see fit, so I chalked it up and moved on.

Upon arrival on Friday (around 3:30 p.m.) I stood in line for approximately 20 minutes before being helped. I figured that it was close to check in time, so no big deal. Well, I received a gentleman who appeared to have no idea what he was doing. It took nearly 15 minutes for him to check me in and he barely said a word to us during the entire process. After we were finally checked in, my kids and I proceeded up to our room while my spouse parked our vehicle. We entered the room, only to discover that the queen studio with balcony that we originally booked was actually a very small room located on the top of the entrance with NO balcony!!!! Infuriated, I called downstairs and informed them of the mishap. They told me to come back to the front where they would give us a new room. I went back downstairs, with all luggage and 2 children (aged 4 and 8) in tow. We stood in line once again, this time for nearly 30 minutes!!!! When I finally got up to the desk and informed the female customer service rep of the issue, she looked at me as though I was stupid. She went off to get a manager who came out to ask me "what the problem was!" I informed him that I booked a room with a balcony, yet I received this room on top of the checkin with a view of the roof and the air conditioning unit that was extremely loud. He proceeded to say NOTHING!!! He fooled around on the computer for a moment, wrote a number on a piece of paper, and then handed it to me. I took the paper, informed him that this was our third time visiting and paying $500.00 for a room for 2 nights and I did not foresee us coming back again. To this, he had no response and walked off!!

I tried not to let it bother me and we proceeded to check into our new room. It was a basic room, had two "queen sized" (or so they say!) beds, with a mini-fridge, stove top (no pots/pans/bowls,etc), a t.v., and a decent (yet small) bathroom. The room was very tiny but we trudged on to the waterpark in hopes that it would be a good experience as we had in the past! BOY WERE WE WRONG!!!!!!!!

My four year old was playing in the kiddie area where it appeared that very few parents were paying attention to their kids! I say this because a little girl pushed her face first down the kiddie slide and even though I was standing right there, I could barely catch her. No one said anything to the little girl, no parent came to correct her, and she proceeded to do it to two other children before I informed her that "that's not nice!" Besides the issues with parents in the kiddie area, we also encountered RUDE children in the wave pool who thought it would be funny to bump into my 8 year old son with their rafts and laugh about it (before this mama bear came out) and later the next day others thought it was okay to go around trying to push other kids off their rafts in the midst of the waves. Several other awful experiences occurred in the waterpark like children passing others while in line for the slides, two slides were not working for a long period of time, and there were no clean towels! I also heard a lady who has visited numerous times tell others that they are now allowing people that are not renting the hotel rooms to come play in the waterpark. It is apparent that some parents drop their kids off at the front door, while others just stay at the bar (in the waterpark) while their children run rampant through the waterpark and the arcarde.

Also, the children in the room next to us and the room above us were up until midnight (and awake by 6 a.m.) running rampant across the floors, yelling, screaming, slamming into walls, and the parents NEVER made them stop! This was ridiculous!!!

One more thing!!! I was shocked at how filthy the pools were. I'm talking used band-aids, cups, trash, feces, etc!

Overall, I have to say, this WILL BE our last time visiting, as no one ever offered an apology for their rudeness or the rudeness of the staff, nor do I think it is fair for us to pay $500.00 for a room while others can come in off the streets to play in the waterpark! I have placed an email to the Wilderness, but do not expect a response! My advice, think twice before spending this much money for a resort that has apparently lost their sense of respect for others!!

12  Thank huntersmama
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We brought our grandson for the night and it was super crazy which we didn't think it would be checking in on a Sunday. Check in went smoothly but to get a discount coupon book you were asked to do the 2 hour Wyndham tour, which we were approached twice once at another area. When I told them we weren't interested one of women was rude about it. The room is OK the carpet hasn't been cleaned in a very long time, one of those times you wear shoes in the room. Kitchenette but no dishes or pans of any kind which is if they supply a stove most places I have stayed had pans to use. Behind the trash can hasn't been cleaned either. Beds were not comfortable at all. My grandson enjoyed the water park and the arcade but very unorganized feel to it. We were on the 100 hallway which is one of the main paths to the indoor water park and VERY loud. Deli staff was wonderful and the food was good, can't say that about the Thirsty Miner, we waited for our table they said they called our name, and we were sitting right there and never heard our name and when I went to check they said we called you and you didn't come so we gave your table away. It's convenient but the food there wasn't great. If you are going to relax this isn't the place. Also there is a full bar in the water park area, which if it is a family water park maybe a bar in another area would be a better idea and not when you walk into the water park!

Room Tip: Rooms on the main hallway to the water park are VERY loud!
5  Thank FDSJA
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Stayed in a room that was connected to the indoor water park that was for 10 people.We took our 8th grade boys basketball team. The room was clean and very nice. The only negative things that I can say is the DVD player didn't work and when we tried to use the dishwasher it wouldn't work. When we pulled out lower rack to unload it and do dishes by hand the dishwasher wasn't even hooked up and the whole dishwasher came out. We did call the front desk and they did try to fix the tv and said they would make a note of the dishwasher.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Chrystal P
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights in one of the 2 bedroom condos. Clean and equipped well. The pools were warm given the outside temps. Resort is not far from restaurants and attractions in the area. Staff was friendly and helpful. Everyone had a great time during the vacation.

Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Perfect for the whole family. indoor pools are the best to go during winter, indoor temperatures are in the 80's. Rooms are clean, and kids eats free. they offer Military discount at the time of check in.

2  Thank elmojo99
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sevierville
Resort at Governor's Crossing
Hampton Inn Sevierville
Hampton Inn Sevierville
#1 of 20 in Sevierville
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Pigeon Forge - Sevierville

Been to Wilderness at the Smokies Resort? Share your experiences!