“Great, clean resort. Rude lifeguards.”

Wilderness at the Smokies Resort
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Sevierville
Blaine, tn
“Great, clean resort. Rude lifeguards.”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

My family just stayed there. We arrived about 1 in the afternoon and even though check-in was not until 4pm they had a room ready for us and allowed us to go unpack and change in our room. The room was clean as was the lodge we stayed in. We settled in and headed down to the water park. Waited for the shuttle (super convenient and fun for our kids). Our boys really enjoyed the big splash fort thing. There were levers to pull that made water spray from everywhere. I pulled a level and soaked a lifeguard. Totally unintentional and I felt terrible. Maybe I deserved the evil eye I received from the lifeguard. But she does work in a water park right? Went back to the room a few hours later. The beds were comfy and accommodated our entire party of 6 + a toddler. Went down the next day to the water park. My husband was in the wave pool having a good time. Ikept hearing a whistle blowing (3 or 4 times) I looked up and the lifeguard was blowing it at my husband. So I ttold my husband the whistle was for him. Apparently my husband was splashing the shorts of this lifeguard. The lifeguard told my husband he was splashing him and would have to go somewhere else. We were both surprised. We had 3 kids with us and were trying to keep them in a safe area. So we all had to move to a more crowded area of the wave pool. Just because the lifeguard got his shorts wet. So my advice to anyone, have fun at the water park. Beware of the lifeguards. They do not realize they work in an indoor water park.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank MomMitchell05

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (725)
  • Thai first
Snellville, Georgia
Reviewed January 13, 2014

The hotel has a good layout, nice rooms with great amenities. The waterpark is included and kids had a great time! The rooms appeared clean, but found dirty cleaning rags left in bathroom and on countertops. I am sure it was by accident. We can overlook small mistakes, but biggest complaint was the poor customer service and a serious lack of professionalism displayed by all the staff both cleaning and front desk. We had an issue with our lights and heat not working,when we called guest services the representatve proceeded to argue with me telling me that I just did not know what I was doing. The conversation ended with the representatvie coming to the room and insinuated that we were just stupid and a child could work the heat and lights. Only when the representative tried to show us how the lights and heat should work, discovered that we were correct the lights and heat were broken. Instead of moving us to a knew room with working lights and heat. The representative comes back with a hammer and bangs on equipment till the lights and heat came on, cursing under their breath! I did not appreciate my children hearing such foul language. We had trouble with our keys working, and the front desk representative ( a different one) talked down to me like I was a toddler and acted like I was an inconvience. Then there was the cleaning staff. I understand that room cleaning is not the most pleasant of jobs, but staff was rude and impolite. I was embaressed again when my children and I passed a group of maids, who were cursing and complaining about how crappy their jobs were. My husband said it best that the Wilderness was a first rate hotel run by unprofessional cheap motel rednecks. We would like to go again, but were turned off by staff, so it is not likely we will return.

6 Thank Jenrolen

Travelers are raving about these Sevierville hotels

Mount Juliet, Tennessee
Reviewed January 12, 2014

This is the first trip we have taken in a while that all 3 children, ages 5 to 16, were happy! We literally never left the hotel. Now that we know about this hotel, we will be staying longer from now on. We could have spent a week at the hotel and had a blast. The staff was friendly. Everything was clean and with as many children running around, that's not an easy task! We also had the pleasure of eating dinner in the upstairs restaurant & having the best waiter we have EVER had! His name was Casey and he was simply fantastic. I had noticed before going that some of the reviews complained of crowding and a smaller than expected water park. We, however, found it to be the exact size it claims to be!! They actually tell you the square footage! It was very crowded, but even during the summer months here, every water attraction is packed. If there are very few people, there's probably a reason. All 3 of ours got to do everything they wanted there. We also enjoyed there being life jackets provided as well as many life guards on duty at all times. The aquarium tickets were just a bonus that unfortunately we weren't able to use as we had so much to do at the hotel! We will definitely be back. Gatlinburg cabins are a thing of the past for quite a while!

2 Thank Ron Beth A
West Virginia
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We recently stayed at the Stone Hill Lodge for a weekend getaway and had a very nice weekend. Keep in mind there are two parts of this resort and the indoor water park is located at the River Lodge building.
Check in was quick and courteous. Front desk staff were friendly and welcoming.
Room was nice. A little on the small side, but clean and it served our purposes very well.
Housecleaning service was OK. One day they took the hand and bath soap that we had opened and used the day before and did not replace them with new ones. We never mentioned anything about it and we got by using the shampoo as soap.
Shuttle service to the other lodge for the indoor water park was excellent. Never waited longer than 5 minutes and the drivers were very friendly and helpful.
Staff at the indoor water park were good. Everyone seemed friendly and were helpful. The guards on duty at the water attractions seemed very attentive and watchful over the swimmers.
We did not eat at any of the facilities on site.
Overall, our stay for a weekend was great and we all had a good time. I think this would be a great place for a family with children and teens.

Room Tip: If you want to be close to the indoor water park, be sure to choose a room in the River Lodge, but t...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Franklin, Tennessee
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I am a single mom and I booked this trip as a Christmas present for my 10 year old daughter and we had an amazing time. We stayed in the River Lodge which was perfect and close to everything. I would recommend if you go in the winter that you stay here so you are close to the waterpark & all other indoor activities. I felt the price that I paid for our 4 night stay was very reasonable. I ended up spending a ton of additional money on the amusement games, pottery classes & additional activities like the All Stay Pass but again my daughter & I had a blast and it was well worth it. Our room had 2 queen beds, a stove, fridge & microwave which I thought was nice. It was plenty of room for the 2 of us. It was VERY crowded for our stay but I never felt that we had to wait too long to do any particular activity. The indoor waterpark was clean and my daughter had a great time overall. My only complaints are the food was not great and the kids eat free is very misleading. To eat at the buffet was $18.99 for my food and it was not good food at all. We ended up paying more to eat there than we did the other places in the hotel. Also, lunch is not free. Only breakfast and dinner buffet is free for kids. Also, this entire hotel had not 1 COKE product anywhere. I understand that they have exclusive deal with Pepsi but yuck. Also, there is no one to help you with your bags when you check in, you get your own bags and get them on the cart up to your room by yourself. There is no check in staff to help you with luggage etc. This wasn't an issue upon our check in but when we checked out on Sunday and had 400 other people checking out with us it was impossible to find a luggage cart even after looking up and down hallways and downstairs. We were on the 4th floor so we could not get our stuff down easily. Again, I still think overall this was a wonderful experience. I would recommend to anyone with children 10 times over. We had a great time & made so many great memories. Take your kids here, you won't regret it.

2 Thank Stephanie W
Signal Mountain, Tennessee
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Great value for the 1st week of January after the Christmas crowd leaves. We stayed at Stone Hill, and it was very quiet and the free shuttle was always just a few minutes away to take us to the waterpark. The kids spent hours in the park everyday. I am amazed that they can keep it so clean and no one get diseases from the water or foot fungus from running around barefoot. Also, with so many kids, I was very impressed with the lifeguards - very attentive and no injuries. Rooms and common areas were very clean, and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. It seemed that kids from 1 - 18 were all having a blast. Last year my 11 year old enjoyed the indoor ropes course, but my 16 year old wasn't interested. This year my now 17 year old tried the ropes course with his 2 friends and they loved it.

Room Tip: Rooms at Stone Hill Lodge are cheaper and quieter, and the shuttle makes it just as convenient to th...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Nice rooms, clean, micro, mini frig, coffee in all rooms. We stayed across the street tram came every 5 minutes all day and all night till pool closes. Towel exchange at the pool but they are small we brought our own. Seating at the pool can be limited if it is crowed. We have a family of 4 but only took up two chairs be mindful of that no reason to take up 4-8 chairs for everyone in your family you only need a place to leave your towel and shoes! We love this place been twice only in the winter.

Room Tip: Rooms across the street are just as nice but cheaper.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Macmomma S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sevierville
Resort at Governor's Crossing
Margaritaville Island Hotel
Margaritaville Island Hotel
#8 of 91 in Pigeon Forge
Baymont Inn & Suites Sevierville Pigeon Forge

Been to Wilderness at the Smokies Resort? Share your experiences!