“Pricey but fun”

Wilderness at the Smokies Resort
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Sevierville
“Pricey but fun”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We went on New Year's Eve with our kids (13 and 10). The NYE party was well done keeping the water park open until 11:50 and ending with a balloon drop. The DJ played kid appropriate music all evening as well. The room was clean but of average size. Only one bottle of shampoo and one bar of soap in the room. If we wouldn't have brought our own we would have been disappointed. All of the hotel staff were very friendly. We didn't eat onsite so I can't comment on that. They do make you sign off on several "house rules" when you check in which let us know they must have had problems in the past. Even with the hotel at capacity the kids didn't have to wait long on any rides. For reference, we paid $311 (including fees and taxes) for a two queen bed room.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (733)
  • Thai first
Loveland, Ohio
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Visited dec 27-28 with family. I was impressed with hotel and ability to handle the holiday crowd. Very courteous staff, lots of amenities to offer. The indoor waterpark didn't have as many attractions as I'd expected. My kids, 11 and 14, we're quickly bored.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 3, 2014

This was our 3rd trip to "Wilderness". Although things were not as perfect as on previous visits, we will probably go ,again.Overall, the facility was a little cluttered (stray candy wrappers,straw papers,napkins,etc.) in the hotel hallways. Our DVD player was not working, but maintenance had it fixed in less than 20 minutes after our reporting it as not working.
I filed one complaint about one rude employee in an in-house restaurant. In the Waterpark itself,our biggest complaint was young people taking our clean towels and replacing with their wet ones (not much that the Hotel can do about poor upbringing of peoples children).Also, there seemed to be more debris in the Ocean Wave area than I've ever seen there before. In summation:It is pricey, but the enjoyment that my 8 year old grandson has, does make it worth the 4 hour trip and the expense. Carol W.

Room Tip: Remember that there are 2 different hotels-one IS attached to the waterpark with LOTS of kids. The o...
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed January 3, 2014

My wife and daughter have stayed at the Wilderness twice so far and I'm sure we will again. It's a great lil get away that has stuff to do for anyone of all ages, seriously. You won't get bored and your kids will love it. That all being said, I do want to list a few things that I think could make the Wilderness a more enjoyable experience.
1. The fort - there is play fort located in the arcade area of the hotel that is awesome. It's like six levels high with slides and obstacles that your kid could play on for hours. It's a nice alternative when your through getting wet at the water park and want to do something dry for a change. Here's my problem: upon our last visit we stayed a total of four days. My daughter and I went to this fort everyday. I noticed on day one there was some candy wrapper and clumps of dust through out the fort and thought no big deal. Then I noticed it was all still there by day four. Do they not clean this thing? If cleanliness is an issue for you when it comes to your kids stay clear of the play fort.
2. In the inside pool they have three basketball goals and three balls. Presumably one ball per goal. Which in theory makes sense I guess but is extremely impractical when you have fifty or more people swimming in the pool wanting to shoot basketball. I'm not saying get more goals, three goals is plenty. But more balls perhaps? That way everyone gets a turn.
3. Restaurant in the hotel is slow and expensive. Nuff said.
4. One day at the wave pool I put my chair in the pool and sat there relaxing enjoying my stay and the life guard never bothered me. The next day I tried doing the same thing with a different life guard on duty. She scolded "no chairs in the pool"! Not a big deal, but why was I able to the day before? Consistency would be nice.
5. Last but not least: at the beginning of your stay they will give you these braclets you have to wear in order to use the waterpark. They will also give you a parking pass for your car. My wife and I never once got our braclets checked and after day 2 just took them off and no one said anything. We also never put up our parking pass and never got towed. Clearly anyone of the street could walk in there and enjoy the waterpark without paying a dime cause no one checks anything.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Luke L
Shawsville, Virginia
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We visit the Wilderness at the Smokies about every other year - typically splitting the visit between a less expensive hotel and then 2 nights at Smokies. Our children LOVE the visit - very clean and friendly staff. We typically do not leave the resort after we arrive, simply because everything is there are the resort that we need! Food,games, fun - Everything! We would and do recommend this resort to our family and friends. Just wish it was a little more affordable!

Room Tip: Bunk rooms are great for the kids. We have two girls and a boy (7,6 and 3) - they love them! Just re...
1 Thank WimmerFamily
Douglasville, Georgia
Reviewed January 3, 2014

booked a week and stayed till New Years day with my kids age 14 and 5. Room was nice, staff was great. First day hit the indoor water park and everything was fine. My oldest enjoyed the hot tub until it was closed (for cleaning) less than 12 hours later was very sick Vomiting and diarrhea. Day 2 had to take to the ER ( nice hospital BTW) While at the small local hospital there was 6 other people in ER at the same time with same symptoms all were staying Wilderness at Smokies, and the nurse said the earlier shift saw many cases from there as well. So he spent the entire vacation in the hotel bed. Im guessing the waterpark knew people were sick from the water and over bleached the water at the park, the smell almost made you cough in the dome. My 5 year old who feeling ok went in the water for about 10 minutes came out crying and his skin was bright red with tiny bumps. Rushed him back to the room to rise with water. Needless to say our trip was bad. I understand the staff can not help it if a small child poops in the water and needs to clean things afterwards.

Room Tip: You will have a stove, microwave, fridge, coffee maker. If you have a lot of kids and don't wan...
4 Thank RhondaMarseli

Travelers are raving about these Sevierville hotels

Georgia
Reviewed January 2, 2014

This was the 3rd visit to the Wilderness and again it was a wonderful trip. We spent 4 days there, including Christmas. Everywhere there was so beautifully decorated, Santa was even there when we arrived. Plus it snowed the 2nd day we were there! This year my in-laws came and stayed too. We had adjoining rooms at the Stone Hill Lodge, that's where we always stay. We always get a King room (king size bed with couch/sofa bed) on the top floor with a balcony overlooking the pool. My in-laws had a room with 2 queens beds and a balcony. The front desk staff were very helpful and friendly, rooms were very clean, and housekeeping always made sure we had whatever we needed. We had 3 kids all together aging from 16 to 10 yrs old. The kids (and adults) had a blast at the indoor waterpark, the outdoor ones were closed of course for winter. Also everyone enjoyed playing laser tag and bowling. There's so much to do there at the resort we only left to go eat Christmas supper and to do a little last minute shopping. We have all decided this will be our new Christmas vacation every year! It was a great stay and can't wait to go back this summer!

5 Thank Jen P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sevierville
Resort at Governor's Crossing
Baymont Inn & Suites Sevierville Pigeon Forge
The Inn On The River
The Inn On The River
#2 of 92 in Pigeon Forge

Been to Wilderness at the Smokies Resort? Share your experiences!