“Room size not worth the exagerated rate”

Wilderness at the Smokies Resort
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Sevierville
Reviewed April 2, 2013

HOTEL ROOM:
Negatives: When I called the only room that was available had a murphy bed and a sofa bed for $300. The bathroom and kitchen area were way larger than the sleep area! Murphy bed mattress was cheap quality, pillows sucked - small and dollar store quality!! The sofa bed mattress was like most, horrible. The people in the room next to us fried food on high and our room reeked of burnt grease, they need exhaust fans. The room was NOT worth $300!
Positives: we were in the main hotel, noise policy (11 p - 6 a) - allowed one to actually get some sleep, nice decor in room, loved the working fireplace. Clothes line in shower to hang up wet items.kitchen fully stocked with pots, pans, utensils, plates bowls, etc. Just bring your food.

WATER PARK
Negatives: The Wave Pool turned off every 10 minutes. Humid and heavy chlorine smell (to the point of nauseating). People hog the lounge chairs with all their junk and towels while they're off swimming. Hard to find somewhere to actually sit. Towel policy a tad annoying but the least of my concerns.
Positives: the park was fun for all ages. Due to time of year, we didn't get to experience the outside amenities, but they looked equally as fun. Plus they were adding some new stuff outdoor. Had a bar in the pool area.

LOCATION: gorcery store, restaurants and retail stores really close. Short drive to Pigeon Forge's main drag.

There are newer reviews for Wilderness at the Smokies Resort

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Great Experience! Lots of fun for the children of all ages and adults. My son had a blessed at the Wild WaterDome indoor waterpark. I loved the great wave and hot tub, my son loved all of the rides and surfing. We stayed at the River Lodge Suite which was connected to the indoor water park, Arcade , and all the restaurants. It was very convenient for us. The food is good but a bit expencive. The buffet price per adult was $18.98 for breakfast and dinner, kids eat free. Our room was very clean everything is so new, the bathroom is nice and clean, the kitchenett had cooktop stove, little ref., microwave. The only negative thing there were lots of people there at that time.

Room Tip: get the higher floors, less noise.
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Indoor waterpark/hotel combos don't grow on trees. I have been to a few, some better, some worse. This one is pretty good and reasonably priced. My wife always finds some reason to complain, but i think the staff does an admirable job for the amount of family traffic it handles. My 9 year old has no complaints! She loves the waterparks, indoor and out. We have visited three times in one year.

If you hate noise, kids, fun, and boogers, go someplace else. Otherwise, this is the place to be! Just don't drink the water!

Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

We went to Wilderness at the Smokies Easter weekend. We arrived on Friday and checked out on Sunday. We stayed at Stone Lodge and just rode the shuttle over to the water park because if you stay at River Lodge which is the hotel connected to the water park, you pay an extra $125 a night. Which is ridiculous I think. When our room was $225 a night at Stone Lodge. So there were some postives and negatives with our stay. I will start with the postives. The room was very clean and housekeeping bent over backwards to get anything we needed. They were very kind and courtesy. The front desk staff were very professional, kind, and courtesy when you could get a hold of them. The shuttle drivers that drove the shuttles were very nice and professional. Overall look of the hotel is very nice and clean. Now I will start with the negatives. On the first night we could hear people running in the room above us. We were on the 5th floor and it was around 12am. It lasted for about 30mins. Then on the same night we needed to use the pull out bed which is located in the couch. When we pulled it out there were no sheets or blankets on it. And there were no sheets or blankets in the room for it. I picked up the phone located in the room to call the front desk to get some and the phone was not clearly marked how to get a hold of the front desk. We finally reached the front desk and housekeeping brought some up. The pillows on the bed were awful. There were two per bed and the two pillows basically equaled one pillow. Thank goodness we had brought some of our own pillows from home. On Sunday, the day we were checking out, we got up to take showers that morning. I took a shower first then my fiance took his. When he got out he said the water was going cold. I said no way this is a big resort hotel and we still had two kids to take showers. Well thank goodness one of our daughters took their shower in the room next door which was my moms. We had adjoining rooms. Because we had the water all the way over to the hottest temperature and it was barely luke warm when our other daughter took her shower. Well when we went to check out they asked about our stay and I told them about the issues and the front desk clerk said, "oh sorry". Oh one more thing to add, the hotel does not keep enough luggage carts for the guest. Checking in wasn't as bad as checking out. Felt like you had to do battle to get a luggage cart. We didn't pay for a 2 star hotel.

1  Thank Angela75NC
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

We went during spring break so it was crazy there! Brett and the front desk staff were awesome! It was a well oiled machine. The whole property was clean and well maintained. Our kids had a fabulous time. For people who think it is over priced they are not taking in account the super fun water park. It was cold and rainy outside, but our kids had so much fun. We will definitely make another trip back! I also liked that it was on the outskirts of Pigeon Forge. If you want to get in on the other action you can, but what a great property and our kids had an absolutely wonderful time.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

The indoor water park was great, though a family with smaller children would have more to do there (there are only 3 slides indoors). Our problems came from the consistent lack of costumer service. Our first night we tried to order room service, no one answered the phone. After calling three times we decided to go to one of the resturants, the hostess handed us a menu and said decide if you really want to eat here or not. While that put us off a bit, we were tired and just wanted to get done with the day, so we stayed. She finally came back to us 5 minutes later, seeming disappointed that we didn't leave. As she showed us to a table she said we would just have to deal with whatever service we got becuase they were understaffed and failed to give us enough menus for our group. We left and found food elsewhere. The next morning I tried to charge a bottle of water to my room only to be told that it was not allowed and I would have to see the front desk. Apparently the incidental authorization didn't mean a thing and they put a stop on charges to the room. And I found out our room was under the wrong name. By the time I straightened that mess out I was stressed and not really looking forward to the day. That night we came in after midnight and wanting to leave the hotel on time, I called for a wakeup. The person on duty was beyond rude. I gave her the time, and got a grunt in response. So I confirmed my room number and the time and she gave a very rude "I know". Well the wake never got set and we were late getting out. And while it is nitpicking a little, we were not given a laundry bag but a trash bag for a laundry. This resort could be great but they really need to step up the customer service big time.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

I have to laugh at all the people who complain on these sites -- guess that makes them feel smarter than the rest of us??? 'Noise from kids running in the corridors?!" -- in a resort that's geared to kids?!! Really?!!'
We had two rooms at this hotel -- four kids -- family ages from 7 to 72 -- truly something for everyone! Every employee/representative of this resort was so helpful and pleasant -- seemed to be actually enjoying their jobs -- the reservations reps went 'above and beyond' to arrange that our rooms be near each other and close to the Water Dome
We were amazed at the cleanliness of everything -- consider that literally thousands of people in the buildings, restaurants, and activities area -- :-) Lots of lifeguards so we felt safe about the kids --
With all the 'bad news' in the world today, it was refreshing to see so many families together and having a good time -- thank you, Wilderness, for an unforgettable family trip!

Room Tip: I have to laugh at all the people who complain on these sites -- guess it makes them feel smarter th...
3  Thank Mary2733j
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sevierville
Resort at Governor's Crossing
#2 of 92 in Pigeon Forge
Hampton Inn Sevierville
Hampton Inn Sevierville
#1 of 20 in Sevierville

Been to Wilderness at the Smokies Resort? Share your experiences!