“Great Family Fun/Small Rooms”

Wilderness at the Smokies Resort
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Sevierville
Memphis, Tennessee
“Great Family Fun/Small Rooms”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Our family spent spring break 2013 at the Wilderness at the Smokies Resort. The name is misleading because I thought we'd be in a hotel that would be in or near the mountains with a rustic, outdoorsy setting. This is NOT the case at all - the resort is smack-dab in the middle of the city. While it would have been nice to do some outdoors activities, the nice thing about this place is that you don't even need to leave the property or go outdoors for entertainment. The in-door water park is FABULOUS and great for hours of fun. It's clean, the water temperature was perfect and it really provides a great time. The arcade area is perfect as an alternative once you become water-logged. The ropes course is challenging, fun and safe. My 8 year old even did it and loved it - she was braver and better at it than me. We travelled with 2 other families and it was clear that the ropes course was not for everyone - anyone with a fear of heights, or other 8 year olds might find it too scary as did some in our group. It was too cold for us to use the outdoor water park, but it appeared to be just as fun and it's great that the resort has both in and outdoor water parks. The whole resort was very clean and staff very friendly. My only complaint is that the rooms are VERY small. This isn't great since most people travelling here would be families with kids and by the time you find a place for all the luggage, there is very little floor room to move around. We got a very good value staying at the resort a Sunday - Wednesday (I know it is more expensive on the weekends) - the value was excellent since it included passes into the waterparks. I'm somewhat of a picky traveller and, in general, don't care for hotels because I just don't think any are clean enough. But this did meet my high expectations and we would definitely return and refer our friends. Oh - and sidenote - the Tanger outlet is about 10 minutes away and it is a great outlet with excellent stores. I and the other ladies in our group spent a morning there so if you're into shopping, make sure to budget time to go there. There are great deals to find and it's a great way to get away from the family fun and just have some shopping time.

2 Thank Teressa T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (719)
  • Thai first
Maryville, Tennessee
Reviewed March 19, 2013

A perfect place for the whole family to relax and have fun. It's even better in the summer when you can use all of the outdoor water parks as well. Would love for guests to get some perks in the arcade.

1 Thank mstedina
Reviewed March 18, 2013

After reading the reviews on here I was a bit hesitant to make our reservations. But I am extremely glad we did!! Not only did my son have a blast, my husband and I did too! No complaints here. We didn't eat there as we brought our own drinks, breakfast, and lunch foods and ate else where for supper. We will most definitely stay again!

• Stayed March 2013
Lenoir City, Tennessee
Reviewed March 18, 2013

First time we had been there. Kids loved indoor water park & adventure forest (it is well worth getting the tickets for adv forest). Can't wait to go again for outdoor waterpark. Stayed on first floor near park entrance so of course lots of hallway traffic. Will request 4th floor next time. Lunch buffet was greatly overpriced for the quality of food. Staff everywhere friendly & helpful.

2 Thank cedarbuckridge

Travelers are raving about these Sevierville hotels

Brandon, Mississippi, United States
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Our stay was perfect. The resort was perfect for our 9 and 10 year old daughter and granddaughter. They loved the indoor water park and the buffet. The location of the resort was close enough to area attractions but not too close. The rooms were spacious and clean and the staff was great. We would recommend this resort to anyone with kids.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Looking at the website I thought this place was going to be old and dusty. We were pleasantly surprised by how new everything looks, yet there is a nice "wilderness" feeling. The rooms are clean and nice looking.

Kids can do a lot of activities, even besides the water park, and when buying the stay-long card, it is very affordable. The water park was too crowded when we were there, not a free chair to be seen and the lonely barman was not able to serve drinks in an acceptable time. Not really his fault as there should just have been some help.

The reason why I would never go back to this place is because their food is just plain terrible. The dinner buffet is cold and the a la carte choice is poor and badly executed and tastes like Eastern German hospital food. A bottle of Cupcake red wine sells for a whopping 43$... but a glass is 6$... Someone must be good in math in the F&B department... That is maybe why they kept running out of things (in a 3 day stay they ran out of plastic forks, Blue Moon, condiments ...) Anyhow, I would be willing to pay more for the food and less for the wine if they would lift the standard of the food. The place in itself seems to set itself a pretty high standard, but the food just catapults it to the bottom of available places to spend our expendable income.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Jonesborough, Tennessee
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I had a blast at the resort with my son, daughter in law and grand daughter..she had a blast and the water park was tons of fun for us! the hot tub was the best! the only complaint I have is the food is way way too expensive! the buffet for dinner was $18.99 PER PERSON! with 3 of us it was outrageous! the breakfast buffet was only $5 cheaper. the snack bars were also was too expensive. so overall I loved the resort and had a blast but they need to lower their food prices. I plan on going back in the summer where there are the other 2 parks to enjoy! great place for kids and a lot for them to do! oh and also 1 other little complaint..waiting to check in was soooo slow but the people were very nice!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sevierville
Resort at Governor's Crossing
#2 of 20 in Sevierville
Margaritaville Island Hotel
Margaritaville Island Hotel
#8 of 91 in Pigeon Forge

Been to Wilderness at the Smokies Resort? Share your experiences!