“Great place for family to stay”

Wilderness at the Smokies Resort
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Sevierville
Reviewed November 12, 2012

It was just the two of us, but we wished we'd had the grands along. We enjoyed the indoor water park and did the wave pool and all the tubes and slides. It was Election Day which is evidently a school holiday for some, so there were a surprising number of kids there for mid-week, but it wasn't crowded at all.

There's a very large outdoor area which, of course, was closed for the season, although we did overlook it.

Room was comfortable and clean with two beds and a sofabed. Nice to have coffe-maker, microwave, fridge AND a two-burner cooktop. Soft ice-cream machine in lobby shop was great for my husband.

One morning our clearly honest maid left the tip I'd left on the bedside table. The next morning I clearly labeled it TIP TIP TIP and she wrote a thanks and a big smiley face.

Room Tip: We overlooked the outdoor pool area which might be noisy in summer. Also had night view of the huge...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I was down for a trade show across the street.
The Room: While I was traveling alone, I was put into a bunk-bed suite. It was a nice room overlooking the outside wave pool, which was closed for the season. Nice deck, bed was comfortable enough. Pillow was good enough and the sheets were not quite up to the standards I am use to, but the were OK too. Microwave and fridge were nice and room was a good size.
Resort: Room came with the in door water park pass. I did go use the huge indoor/outdoor hot tub, it was nice and I wanted to try the endless wave, but I never made it back.
Food: They appear to be a buffet style restaurant and it was closed, so they were on a limited menu, which over all was horrible for me and everyone I talked too. Needless instead of eating there I skipped at least one meal a day.
Looks like a great hotel to be at in season with kids.

Room Tip: Don't fly in and stay without a car. You will want to leave the hotel for meals.
2  Thank Polar_Caver
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Check your bed linens when you first get into your room. Both beds had soiled bed linens from the previous guest(s). Guest services stated they change linens every three (3) days. At $165 rates they could change them more often. If they are scrimping on linens the next place to look is food services and what are they doing to save money in that area?

Room Tip: Be prepared to wait a long time checking in. One clerk for 7 groups while other staff at other end...
1  Thank Lyle F
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed at the Stone Hill Lodge, which is not connected to the main lodge and indoor waterpark. We thought it would be easy to walk across the street, but it is not. There are elevation changes, and no convenient direct sidewalk or way to get there without walking a few blocks, effectively. (in your bathing suit!) Luckily, we had excellent weather and didn't mind taking the shuttle. It does come by often.

This resort and waterpark are MUCH smaller than the Dells property of the same name. No lazy river here (at least not indoors/in fall and winter months). It's definitely geared more towards families with small children. Hours were minimal, you basically had to go off-site to get food, etc. (again, just different from the Dells one that has restaurants).

However, it is in the heart of Sevierville and food and entertainment options abound nearby. We had a great time visiting the Gatlinburg area and the resort wasn't too expensive so we would consider staying there again.

In the area there are some beautiful cabin rentals - the Wilderness property did not have beautiful views.

Our unit was nice, and we did have a fridge, balcony, etc. which were nice amenities to have.

Watch out for the time share people - if you need to park your car, they won't give you the parking pass until they pitch their Windham timeshares at you! I hate this, why do they do this to us? It's really a turnoff.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Undecided_In_VP
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Took two grandsons during Fall Break in October. Wonderful recreation for a six year old and eight year old boy. Had a great time! HOWEVER....BEWARE! When leaving our suite, we locked up all valuables in the room safe that we thought might be stolen. Who would think that housekeeping would help themselves to $200 worth of perfume, makeup, etc.?! Reported this to security the next day. Jason assured me he would investigate and call me back. Still waiting. Also contacted resort through their web site. Still waiting. Disappointed in the lack of communication about this. Where is customer relations? Sadly, a great trip ended badly.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank MAnderson2012
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Very nice for a winter trip of two to three days, plenty to do for young children on the site and lots to do off site too. We are thinking about a Friday through Sunday trip in January or Feb this coming winter. Good way to give the kids a break from the winter weather.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank THNunn
Reviewed November 5, 2012

In serious need of a major remodeling and updating. Old, tacky fake log furniture. Overpriced. You can get a Hilton for the same price. The TV channels don't match the guide, the heat doesn't work, and the bedspreads are from the 1980s. The pillows are tiny and old. Poorly lit. Burned out bulbs. Oh, and because I reserved the night before (for three nights), I was told that if I cancelled I had to pay the full amount and the only way I could get a refund was as a credit to be used within the year. Unbelievable.

3  Thank CindyLoohoooooo