“Great” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wilderness at the Smokies Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Wilderness at the Smokies Resort
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Sevierville
“Great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

One of the best place i stayed at. the rooms were nice people were nice water park was great nice to be able to use all the next day will be back my 2 year old love it biggest hot tub i ever been in room was big had bed in couch so can fit many people

• Stayed October 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (697)
  • Thai first
Cookeville, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

I have gone to the Wilderness many times, but this was the worst experience ever!! It seems to be getting worse. This was my son's birthday weekend. For what we paid for I am still mad. First the light over the door didn't work, the carpet was very dirty, who knows when it was cleaned last. The sheets on one of the beds was ripped, and no sheets for the fold out. Really?? for what we paid this is totally unacceptable. Not to mention the beds are hard as rocks. A complaint was filed and no one cared. Accept for the maid, bless her heart she was the only nice person that I met. Then the Fire Alarm went off at 3am that morning. It was choas and totally unorgainzed, no one seemed to know anything, that we talked with. The next day after standing in line for 20mins to ride the main water slide, we get to the top and someone pulled the emergency shut off, but for no reason. The life guards had no clue as to why it had been turned off or how long it was going to be before it came back on. We had to wait another 20mins at the top to finally go down it, and there is way to many chemicals being used in the water. When leaving I asked to speak to a manager, he could have carried less about anything I had to say. He never even told me his name. My family will not be going back, this place is a rip off and they treat their customer's horriable. They want be getting anymore of my money. I gave them my comments on their review e-mail they sent me.

7 Thank DalSav
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

Just returned from our 4th visit. Great place to take kids, we have 3 boys & they love it!! Nice rooms & with the waterpark included, it is a good value. Food is a bit too pricey. Recommend having some food & snacks in your room. You will get better food if you leave the resort & go out to dinner. We will go back, hopefully in the summer when the outdoor park is open.

• Stayed October 2012
Helenwood, Tennessee, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

My family visits Wilderness at least twice a year and we thoroughly enjoy it. The waterpark is huge and well maintained with lots of things for kids and adults to do. Rooms are very nice and clean. The only complaint is that the mattresses are so hard. I never sleep when we go and if it wasn't for my kids loving to go there I would consider another option.

Knoxville, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

We had a nice time for the one night we were at the Wilderness, though I can't say it was perfect.

We had never been before, so we weren't sure what to expect. The room was okay. We got a deluxe murphy suite, which is basically a murphy bed (wall bed) and a sleeper sofa with a nice full kitchen and bathroom. The room was clean and nicely decorated. My husband and I slept on the murphy and our 6 year old slept on the sleeper. Although sleeping is not exactly what happened since the beds were not comfortable at all. The sleeper sofa was not made up with sheets, even though I had asked for that to be done, so I had to do that when we came in exhausted at 10pm from our water park day. In addition, the full size fitted sheet they had put on the queen size murphy bed was not fun to wrestle with all night. Every time I woke up the thing was all tangled around my feet.

The staff, overall, was friendly. We did encounter several who obviously did not enjoy their job there and didn't seem to care if we had a good time or not, but we the majority of the staff were nice.

The water park itself was fun. Only the inside part was open, which was fine and probably why we got a good deal. It wasn't too crowded, so we didn't have to wait to slide. Since there's only 9 rides open, and we're not the type of people who love riding over and over and over again, we got bored after awhile. They have some really cool-looking outdoor rides though. We also played 2 different putt-putts, bowled, and played arcade games after we ate lunch at Billy Jack's Snack Shack. Tasty, but overpriced.

Overall, our trip was fun to do one time. I don't see us paying money to go back and do this again. My daughter enjoyed it way more than my husband and I. It seems definitely overpriced for what you get.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the River Lodge near the indoor water park if you go in the fall/winter months. O...
Shelbyville, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

Traveling in a wheel chair is not always a good thing. However, at this place they made me feel special. They transported me back and forth to the waterpark, where I was able to get into the hot tub and the wave pool. I hope to go back in the summer and enjoy the lazy river. I love this place. The staff was fabulous and anything you needed was taken care of in a few minutes.

Room Tip: If you have younger children, I would stay in the rooms by the waterpark for easier going back and f...
Bristol, TN
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

I have taken my family to this resort at least once a year since it opened. We have always had a good experience there, until this past weekend. The fire alarm went off just before 3 am. After the fire truck showed up and it was discovered there was no fire, we were told to go back to our rooms. When we returned, the alarm was still blaring in the rooms. We all had to sit in the hall until just after 5 am before they were able to turn it off. We were told our floor was the only one that had the problem with turning the alarm off. I overslept and woke up at 9:30 am and ran down to the front desk to see if they would give us more time to check out because of the alarm. I was told bluntly that there were no special considerations being made because of the alarm and we would need to be out of the room by 11 as scheduled. I understand that they had no control of the alarm going off. But not being able to turn it off for over 2 hours is ridiculous, and not even being considerate to your guests enough to give them a little while longer to check out the next day is even worse. I wasn't looking for a refund or free meal like I heard some of the other guest say they would demand. I would have been happy with just an hour longer so that we wouldn't have to rush. After getting our things out of the room and to the car and getting my family settled in the water park, I paid them back by boycotting their overpriced restaurants and going to Hardee's and smuggling some biscuits in. You can take a back road and be there and back in 15 minutes.

As I was settling down to eat my biscuits, I received an email from them, encouraging me to give my opinion of my stay. I happily took the opportunity to tell them how disappointed I was that they would not even consider a little extra time to their guest inconvenienced by their alarm. I have yet to hear back.

Besides all of this, there are obvious signs of lack of maintenance at the water park. Rust stains are showing on the pipes, stairs, and handrails. Hair bands, gum, dead bugs, and tobacco spit are visible along the walls going up the stair to the waters slides. And there is some type of grey residue on the tiles of the hot tub. It is just starting to look nasty, compared to the clean, new place we used to love. I don't plan on returning any time soon unless I hear of some major changes being made.

1 Thank tncopperhead
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sevierville
Resort at Governor's Crossing
The Inn at Christmas Place
The Inn at Christmas Place
#2 of 90 in Pigeon Forge
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,957 reviews

Been to Wilderness at the Smokies Resort? Share your experiences!