“Just OK, its no Great Wolf Lodge”

Wilderness at the Smokies Resort
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Sevierville
Lanesville, Indiana, United States
“Just OK, its no Great Wolf Lodge”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

3/12 Waterpark was good, lines were very short. However we were there on a Wed. and Thurs. at a non peak time. The service at the front desk, the candy shop, and to the room was below average at best. The pillows were horrible so old they were little sacks of lint balls, only four of them! I cannot tell you how many times I heard this is only my 2nd or 3rd day! Our room was not clean and very difficult for two adults and two kids to manuever around in. When we arrived we upgraded to stay in the waterpark building. I can't imagine with two small kids if we would have been in one of the far out buildings. We will not go back, and wish we would have not stayed two nights. The new adventure section was just barely opening it is a neat concept can't give a fair assessment.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room in the waterpark building or you will be trucking it!
1 Thank Brooklyn F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (725)
  • Thai first
Brookville, Indiana
Reviewed March 26, 2012

We stayed at the Wilderness at the Smokies Resort in Sevierville, TN for two nights during spring break 3/21/12 and 3/22/12. This was a family trip so our kids (10 and 4) could enjoy the water park. They had a BLAST!!!!

Check-in was smooth, quick and easy. The desk clerk was very polite and efficient. But he sounded a bit like a recording. I tried to joke around with him a little, but he was just trying to do his job, which I'm okay with. I don't ask (or expect) anyone to go above-and-beyond, as long as they are doing their job.

After check-in, we were required to go to the concierge desk to recieve a pass for the parking garage. My wife did that while I unloaded the car. She said they tried to sell her a time-share. She didn't say how pushy they were, and I didn't get the feeling that it annoyed her, so she must have given them a "No Thank You" and they moved on. I'm just mentioning this so anyone reading this will be aware of this.

The room was very clean and plenty roomy for the four of us. We had a king bed with a queen sofa sleeper for the kids. The bed was very comfortable. I cannot say how comfortable the sofa sleeper was, but my kids PASSED OUT when we got back from the waterpark. They could have slept on concrete and not cared. The room had a mini-fridge, microwave and coffee maker. It also had a safe, which was very handy.

We stayed at the Stone Hill Lodge, which is not attached to the waterpark. We had to take a shuttle bus to the waterpark, which was fast and efficient. We never waited for more than a few minutes. The only issue with this is if you have to run back to your room for something. It's not real convenient. I think next time, I will spend a few extra $$$ and stay at the River Lodge Suites attached to the waterpark.

We started at the outdoor waterpark at Stone Hill Lodge. It was nice. The kids enjoyed it, but the water was still too chilly (it was still March). So we made our way to the indoor waterpark. As soon as the kids saw the wave-pool, they were HOOKED!!!! They loved it! My daughter (10) and I went down the double tube slide several times. Very fun! I finally talked my son (4) into going down it with me. He was a little scared at first, especially after climbing the stairs. But once we got on the tube and went down, he wanted to go again and again. That was by far his favorite thing.

Everything appeard to be clean and operational. The only thing I noticed was a large vent on the side wall at eye level as we entered the waterpark. It had a thick coating of dust. A quick run-over with a vaccum would have cleaned that right up.

There are plenty of life guards around to keep things safe. But parents, that doesn't mean that you can just let your little kids run free. Keep your eyes on them. The lifeguards are there to save lives, not babysit.

I'm going to be honest, if you are reading this and are planning on going to this waterpark, you will have fun (hopefully). But know what your expectations are. This is an indoor waterpark at a large resort, so it will be somewhat crowded. If you think you're going to relax by the side of the pool in a quiet environment with few people, you will be disappointed. Even though there were alot of people around us, we never had a problem finding a couple of chairs for our stuff (towels and shoes), and we never waited for more than a couple of minutes on any of the slides.

For her birthday, we let our daughter do the indoor ropes course. She is very adventurous and enjoyed it very much. Our son enjoyed the HUGE play area.

We only ate once at the resort, at the "Thirsty Miner". We had the buffet, and the kids ate from it for free. It was a bit overpriced, but decent. While we ate, we could watch people wipe out on the surf rider. It was very entertaining.

Overall, we had a fantastic time. The kids did not want to leave. After almost a week, they are still wearing the wrist bands required for the waterpark. We will definitely return.

One note: Specifically for this trip, I purchased a small waterproof video camera. It was awesome! I got great video footage from right inside the wave pool. I even have video of my daughter doing front and back flips under water. And best of all, I took it down the waterslides with my kids. There was no rule written anywhere that cameras were not allowed on the slides, and no one stopped me or said anything. We made some great memories with our kids, and have video proof of it (in case they later claim we never did anything fun with them when they were little). Ha! Ha!

Room Tip: If you think you will have to run back to the room for any reason, get a room at the River Lodge Sui...
3 Thank BrookvilleHoosierBoy
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Living in Knoxville, I have stayed here several times, . Since it's inception, and my first stay (which was outstanding), they have slipped into complacency. I stayed again this past weekend, and left thouroughly unimpressed. The fan in my bathroom rattled horribly. The room wasn't cleaned well. The sheets left for the pullout couch were stiff as cardboard. I literally had to pull the folded sheets apart. Housekeeping knocked or entered our room 5 times on the day we checked in, to check if they'd already cleaned it. The music at the outdoor lazy river blasted loudly (although the area was closed). The indoor pools were murky as was the water for the slides and surfing. The hot tub wasn't "hot", it was warm. There was no parking available. For the price, these things need to be taken care of.

1 Thank jduke2817
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed March 25, 2012

We recently stayed here and overall had a good time. The room was clean and roomy. We also enjoyed the water slides. Our main complaint was the cleanliness of wave pool at the water park. We arrived at opening and were among the first people in the wave pool. In the pool, we saw used bandaids and what appeared to be a hair extension, which we saw the night before. I would not be surprised to find these items later in the day, but not first thing in the morning. This means the pool was not vacuumed or netted between closing and opening. I would think that would be part of the clean up process after the park closes, but apparently not.

Room Tip: Request a room closer to main elevator or on main level. We had a very long walk from door to room.
1 Thank SWMW
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed March 24, 2012

We were extremely excited about taking our children here for Spring Break this year. They happened to have some decent prices (for them), so my husband and I decided to go. We stayed at the River Lodge so that we could be on site for pretty much everything. The room was clean, not spotless, but clean. It is small for a "suite," so don't let the name fool you. The refrigerator in the room is a nice size. The set up of the room was good for everyone. Plan on staying gone all day in order to get your room serviced. The only thing they will do to your room is take your towels and your garbage. They didn't leave more washcloths or even toilet paper. On multiple occasions my husband had to go get more towels and washcloths. The toilet didn't work properly, and we had to be taught how to hold the handle down every time the toilet was used. (Remember the price of this room was $229 PLUS taxes.) The stopper did not work in the bathtub, which made it difficult to bathe a 14 month old. We asked them to come fix it, but they never did. We improvised by covering the drain with a towel. They just do not pride themselves on taking care of their guests. For me $229 a night was a splurge, and I guess I just expected more.
The waterparks are amazing! My children had the best time! This, in and of itself, made the trip worth it. There is plenty to do, both indoor and out. Adventure Forest (the new dry play place) was a lot of fun. The girls played a ton in there. The snack foods are good, but extremely expensive. Also, the buffet at The Thirsty Miner (the River Lodge restaurant) was glorified cafeteria food. It costs $18 per adult and only 1 child eats free per paying adult. Our bill for our family was over $60. Just plan on eating somewhere else. I am not a negative person, but I was disappointed with the service here for the price you're paying. The waterparks were a hit, however, so we dealt with the rest.

Room Tip: If you're paying extra to stay at the River Lodge, make sure you request the main building. It...
2 Thank J0sie19
Reviewed March 24, 2012

Likss the resort but you can her people walking all night. Room was small but it worked. The Buffett was not worth$17.99. Pretty decor and staff were great. Probably would come back. It stay somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2012
Reviewed March 23, 2012

A customer service nightmare from beginning to end. I should have paid more attention to the other reviews. Check in takes forever and you are then pushed off to wait at another line to get your parking pass - the actual purpose of this second line is to hit you up for a timeshare program.

The entire resort is a series of lines caused, in large part, by a lack of staffing, The room was not ready for check-in at 5:30 PM, by the time we arrived at the only convenient on-site restaurant, the wait was lengthy despite many open tables - there just were not enough servers. No one showed to clean the room until 6:00PM the next day. Many workers were complaining of the hours and poor work conditions.

If food, service, and on-site convenience are not important, this may be a decent destination - otherwise, avoid.

• Stayed March 2012

Travelers are raving about these Sevierville hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sevierville
Resort at Governor's Crossing
Margaritaville Island Hotel
Margaritaville Island Hotel
#8 of 91 in Pigeon Forge
Baymont Inn & Suites Sevierville Pigeon Forge

Been to Wilderness at the Smokies Resort? Share your experiences!