“A quick, easy and interesting wine tasting.”
Review of Apple Barn Winery

and up
Day Tour: Moonshine and Wine Tasting from Gatlinburg
Ranked #13 of 86 things to do in Sevierville
More attraction details
Owner description: From our fresh cut orchard, we produce apple-based wine blended with other fruits, including grapes. Located on the banks of the Little Pigeon River in the Apple Barn Village, the Apple Barn Winery is next door to the world-famous Apple Barn General Store & Cider Mill, two great restaurants, a bakery, a candy store, an ice cream shop, and a Christmas shop. The Apple Barn Winery offers a unique twist on wine. Our wine is hand crafted in small lots on the farm to provide each customer the best possible wine from local fruit. Open daily for tasting and sales, our family oriented staff would love for you to stop by. Even if you are not a “wine connoisseur”, you will still take pleasure in browsing our gift shop full of unique items as well as wine accessories. Our video tour is a wonderful educational experience that provides the opportunity to learn more about the winemaker’s art.
Sun City West, Arizona
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 386 helpful votes
“A quick, easy and interesting wine tasting.”
Reviewed September 6, 2011

My wife and I are visiting for our 20th anniversary and I must say, our experience has been VERY different than that shared by so many other posters here. Perhaps it's because we're here immediately after the Labor Day weekend, so there really no crowds anywhere we go,

We had a very pleasant sales person serving our wine tasting. She explained the wines well and offered us samples of 6 or 8. While the wines are sweeter than we usually enjoy, we particularly liked the Apple Strawberry and Apple Peach varieties — and picked up a few bottles to bring home.

The staff was very friendly and welcoming -- and we had a very nice tasting and shopping experience.

Visited September 2011
2 Thank NCWorldTraveler704

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Had a good time. Better than expected.”
Reviewed August 6, 2011

I saw a lot of bad reviews based on the customer service so I was surprised at how nice the staff was. They were very friendly and helpful.

1 Thank sammyjcar
Wilmington, North Carolina
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Skip this joint!!”
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Me and my partner stopped by, as we had a coupon for a free gift, and wanted to do a wine tasting. Just as others have stated, stood in line, never acknowledged, finally we were able to try some wine, after standing in line around 25 minutes, lady pouring kept complaining of being tired, and unhappy at work. The free gift was some type of a clip that holds your wine glass to your plate? I told the lady she could keep mine, as I have no use for this type of item. I will not return to this winery!!

Visited July 2011
1 Thank dsykes2
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Wine is delicious, but the tasting experience wasn't as great.”
Reviewed July 9, 2011

We had never been to Apple Barn Winery before, even though this was our third trip to Sevierville, TN. I enjoy trying different wines, so we thought this would be fun to see what the Apple Barn was all about and what kind of wines they make.

We seemed to be ignored by the three women working behind the tasting counter when we walked in the Winery. I understand they were helping other customers, but a "hello" or "welcome" would have been nice. We walked around to look at the items they had on display which you could purchase...memorabilia, wine supplies, glasses, etc. Nice items. My husband and I found an open part of the tasting counter and stood there for a few minutes. The woman behind the tasting counter who was helping another couple finally looked our direction and asked us in a not so friendly voice, "Can I help you?" My husband replied, "We'd like to try your wine." She replied gruffly, "You'll have to get in line." Which he replied, "I thought we were. We've never been here before." She motioned for us to move to a different area of the counter, with disgusted look on her face.

At this point, I was about ready to walk out the door. I think the lady realized how she sounded and looked, as she saw the look on our faces, and seemed to soften a little bit. She half-heartedly tried to help us, but her attitude came across to us that it was a chore for her to do so.

Our favorites were the Apple Blush and Apple Raspberry wines. We purchased three bottles and left, doubting to ever return again. We liked their wine, but was extremely disappointed in how we were treated. We can order it online if we choose to, but the shipping charges are astronomical.

My husband and I were very disappointed. It was a good reminder in how not to treat people, especially customers.

Visited June 2011
1 Thank JulesAnnL
Columbus, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“VERY sweet wine, terrible cutomer service, not classy”
Reviewed February 22, 2011

I had been very excited to visit the Apple Barn Winery since I had always eaten at the restaurant/cider mill with family which was always very good. The Winery was a different story.
It's like a whole different world in the Winery. In the restaurant you have the old fashioned, down-home southern cooking and deliciuos cider with sweet elderly attendents, like grandma/grandpa; in the Winery you have a large cluttered room with crappy over-priced souveneirs and a random counter in the middle of the room that is the wine "bar". I think we had the same merchant that the Dec 7 2009 reveiw had. He was tending to another couple that he clearly had something in common with. When we walked up and, I could tell he didn't feel like serving us. It was awkward (no stools to sit on either). First thing he said with his overbearing red-neck charm was "Where you from?" And when we said Columbus, Ohio he immediately rang in with "Ya - the 'SUCKeyes!' " (instead of Buckeyes) right away we knew he was a real gem. He then went on about football ,talking about players he knew nothing about trying to act like a know it all, when it was obvious he was full of B.S. ...Then proceeded to tell us how he drank 3 bottles of Apple wine a few nights ago, nice touch.

We then tasted the raspberry-apple wine which was very sweet, juice-like, but tasty. Then we tried the "freezer wine", it was so sweet it was sickening. I mean the second you finished your sample he was pouring the next one, which is fine by me, but you could tell he wanted to get you out of there-tho there was no one behind us! We tried a few others, none really stood out. we did end up buying some Apple-raspberry wine b/c you kind of feel obligated since he gave out so many free samples.

We basically got the sense that he was giving us his memorized "spiel" about the wines, and he really didn't know much else if you asked him other questions pertaining to the wine. Also, all you see of the winery is a big metal machine through a window. If you are in the area, sure get some samples of Raspberry-Apple, but...make it snappy!

Visited February 2011