“Wine is delicious, but the tasting experience wasn't as great.”
Review of Apple Barn Winery

and up
Day Tour: Moonshine and Wine Tasting from Gatlinburg
Ranked #14 of 89 things to do in Sevierville
More attraction details
Owner description: From our fresh cut orchard, we produce apple-based wine blended with other fruits, including grapes. Located on the banks of the Little Pigeon River in the Apple Barn Village, the Apple Barn Winery is next door to the world-famous Apple Barn General Store & Cider Mill, two great restaurants, a bakery, a candy store, an ice cream shop, and a Christmas shop. The Apple Barn Winery offers a unique twist on wine. Our wine is hand crafted in small lots on the farm to provide each customer the best possible wine from local fruit. Open daily for tasting and sales, our family oriented staff would love for you to stop by. Even if you are not a “wine connoisseur”, you will still take pleasure in browsing our gift shop full of unique items as well as wine accessories. Our video tour is a wonderful educational experience that provides the opportunity to learn more about the winemaker’s art.
Reviewed July 9, 2011

We had never been to Apple Barn Winery before, even though this was our third trip to Sevierville, TN. I enjoy trying different wines, so we thought this would be fun to see what the Apple Barn was all about and what kind of wines they make.

We seemed to be ignored by the three women working behind the tasting counter when we walked in the Winery. I understand they were helping other customers, but a "hello" or "welcome" would have been nice. We walked around to look at the items they had on display which you could purchase...memorabilia, wine supplies, glasses, etc. Nice items. My husband and I found an open part of the tasting counter and stood there for a few minutes. The woman behind the tasting counter who was helping another couple finally looked our direction and asked us in a not so friendly voice, "Can I help you?" My husband replied, "We'd like to try your wine." She replied gruffly, "You'll have to get in line." Which he replied, "I thought we were. We've never been here before." She motioned for us to move to a different area of the counter, with disgusted look on her face.

At this point, I was about ready to walk out the door. I think the lady realized how she sounded and looked, as she saw the look on our faces, and seemed to soften a little bit. She half-heartedly tried to help us, but her attitude came across to us that it was a chore for her to do so.

Our favorites were the Apple Blush and Apple Raspberry wines. We purchased three bottles and left, doubting to ever return again. We liked their wine, but was extremely disappointed in how we were treated. We can order it online if we choose to, but the shipping charges are astronomical.

My husband and I were very disappointed. It was a good reminder in how not to treat people, especially customers.

1  Thank JulesAnnL

Reviewed February 22, 2011

I had been very excited to visit the Apple Barn Winery since I had always eaten at the restaurant/cider mill with family which was always very good. The Winery was a different story.
It's like a whole different world in the Winery. In the restaurant you have the old fashioned, down-home southern cooking and deliciuos cider with sweet elderly attendents, like grandma/grandpa; in the Winery you have a large cluttered room with crappy over-priced souveneirs and a random counter in the middle of the room that is the wine "bar". I think we had the same merchant that the Dec 7 2009 reveiw had. He was tending to another couple that he clearly had something in common with. When we walked up and, I could tell he didn't feel like serving us. It was awkward (no stools to sit on either). First thing he said with his overbearing red-neck charm was "Where you from?" And when we said Columbus, Ohio he immediately rang in with "Ya - the 'SUCKeyes!' " (instead of Buckeyes) right away we knew he was a real gem. He then went on about football ,talking about players he knew nothing about trying to act like a know it all, when it was obvious he was full of B.S. ...Then proceeded to tell us how he drank 3 bottles of Apple wine a few nights ago, nice touch.

We then tasted the raspberry-apple wine which was very sweet, juice-like, but tasty. Then we tried the "freezer wine", it was so sweet it was sickening. I mean the second you finished your sample he was pouring the next one, which is fine by me, but you could tell he wanted to get you out of there-tho there was no one behind us! We tried a few others, none really stood out. we did end up buying some Apple-raspberry wine b/c you kind of feel obligated since he gave out so many free samples.

We basically got the sense that he was giving us his memorized "spiel" about the wines, and he really didn't know much else if you asked him other questions pertaining to the wine. Also, all you see of the winery is a big metal machine through a window. If you are in the area, sure get some samples of Raspberry-Apple, but...make it snappy!

Reviewed November 10, 2010

Rude, short and basically made us feel like we were pains in the butt for tasting. If it weren't for their large mass production of useless souvenirs, cheap/bad wine, crap food that draws tourists, these people could not stay in business. It was cold and had a heartless corporate feel. i will never return and will tell everyone I know who goes to the area that a glass that says "Rocky Top Wine Tour" isn't worth the pain of visiting this place.

1  Thank Blushade91
Reviewed July 20, 2010

The Apple Barn Winery is located on site at the Apple Barn General Store & Cider Mill. We love visiting the Cider Mill and General Store for their gift items, apple pies, apple cider and nick nacks. So last year my husband and I decided to visit the Apple Barn Winery while we were on location. My husband had sampled their wine at the time and had decided to purchase a few bottles of their Merlot (2 for us and 1 as a gift for family). He really enjoyed it when he was there. However, when he opened his bottle at home, he was disappointed that it did not have the same taste. We thought maybe it was just a bad bottle. However, he had purchased 3 bottles for the special rate and the other two were not any better. We kind of felt bad that we had given one away as a gift.

Since we had visited Hillside Winery and were planning on visiting Mountain Valley Winery this year, we ended up visiting the Apple Barn Winery again in order to complete the Rocky Top Wine Trail & get our complimentary wine glasses. On this visit to the Apple Barn Winery, my husband sampled their sweet Apple-Raspberry wine & I sampled their Peach Bellini wine freezer (with Apple-Peach wine). He said he really enjoyed the Apple-Raspberry Wine and I found their wine freezer to be pretty good too. They do give you decent sized FREE samples in real wine GLASSES (no plastic dixie cups) and they do have crackers to nibble on. However, they do not have an actual tour of their wine making facility. They do have a small gift shop on location that carries various wine related items. We did purchase a few Tip Top wine corks that allow you to pour & store your wine. We haven't tried them yet, but they seem like a good idea.

Overall, we have mixed feelings about the Apple Barn Winery. The facility is kind of small and it is hard to get to the front of the wine tasting counter to get waited on. It almost seems like they do not have enough wine tasting attendants on duty. Besides, the attendants are not the friendliest once you do get waited on. They do not offer a tour of their wine making facility, but you can see it through large glass windows. Their wine does seem to taste good at sampling, but we are leery of buying anymore to bring home since out first experience went sour. IF you are at the Apple Barn already, then I would suggest stopping in for a FREE sample. But, I would not make a special trip to this particular winery. IF you want a good winery with SUPER friendly staff, great product and prices..check out Hillside Winery in the area. They have a nicer gift shop & carry a large selection of Sweet Water Valley Cheeses & Le Gourmet Meat Sticks at Hillside Winery too.

Reviewed June 27, 2010

I usually like sweet wines but there were extremely sweet. I dont think I could just sit and drink these by the glass. Tastings were free and it was a nice place. The service was also good. We were also given a wine trail card, if you went to the three wineries in the area you were given a free wine glass souvenir. So we did, the only thing was when we got back to our cabin and looked at the glasses, the said wine festival 2004. Not sure if they were just trying to get business by giving away old wine glasses or what was up with that. It was still fun doing the wine trail, just weird with the old glasses. I also recommend checking out the rest of the apple barn as well. They have great cider.

1  Thank wohdonkey